poor managers

Help Support CattleToday:

Not far from me, hay goes for about $15 /bale (small squares)... I have better hay than this typical hay, but I sell it for the same price... why? it doesn't pay to have a hay shed full of last years hay. I also need to be able to deliver a reasonable load at a time, and a lot of these people want just 10 bales... drives me bananas.

I think something that has become very prevelant is people undercutting others, not by price, but with inferior quality, and that isn't always so easy to spot. Now lets say people are willing to pay $5 for a bucket... so along comes the plastic bucket that sells for $4.. this hurts the guy making the good $5 bucket, and he has to put the price to $6 to make up for lost volume, but the kicker is that the plastic bucket will then be $5, and the person making a quality product is forced to keep raising his price to the point it's ridiculously expensive, and it's because he's undercut with BAD QUALITY.

every1 manages cattle differant that doesnt mean that some dont know what they are doing.take me alot of people think i dont know what im doing.but ive survived droughts that made others here sell out.year before last the custom baler cost got to where we could make equipment payments.so last year we bought a baler and cut our cost by 60%.so this year we bought an 8 wheel rake for what it would cost to have our hay raked.thus paying for the rake an only being out very little to hire the hay cut.have enough tractors to keep the baling equipment hooked up without unhooking.and still have a spare tractor if needed.now addressing the cost of keeping cattle.i dont count alot of my expenes against the cattle because the money i spend on them would be spent else where if i didnt have cattle.1 other thing ive sold 3 show calves this year plus going to cull 3 cows along with the bull calves.so that means ill have money to buy cows with next month.so does that mean im still going in the hole you tell me.

Hook":2k81y127 said:
Every region is different. And down to even 20 sq miles there are vast differences. If people don't realize that they are idiots. Pure and simple
you are right about that hook, only a poor manager would continue to operate a business in a region where it can not produce a product below market price

Gouge customers...you go out of business.
Lose money....you go out of business.
Allow spectators to run your business....go down in flames.
FREE MARKET is a beautiful thing if you let it work.

Latest posts