Poor cow

Help Support CattleToday:

danl

Reaction score
I have a five year old cow that keeps going downhill, has a 6 month old calf on her that I'm going to wean saturday.
I've wormed her with pour on ivomec three times. Gave her la300 couple times.
She is mopey and stays by herself. Eats hay and what little grass there is.
For the last month I've penned her every day and gave her about ten pound of feed.
She eats funny and very slow. I feed her first then do rest of chores and she still hardly makes a dent in feed, after 45 minutes to an hour.
Monday gave her 12 cc banamine and 30 la300. Seemed a lot perkier.
But I made the mistake of putting safeguard pellets in feed and she wouldn't touch it.
She has always acted like she didn't really care for cow feed.
I doused her with cydectin tonight.
Manure looks completely normal. Hair is shiny black. Just skinny and seems weak.
Tonight I just left her in pen with feed, gotta let her out in about a hour. No water in there
Seems to be well hydrated, she peed a bucketfull standing outside pen today

Btw she seems to sling her head a lot, and trust me the flies are nothing but frozen memories around here...

I've got to go along with bird dog and M-5. Hardware was my 1st thought, when reading your description. Getting a magnet into her, 'may' make a difference, at this point.

danl":1pvpfsy6 said:
I have a five year old cow that keeps going downhill, has a 6 month old calf on her that I'm going to wean saturday.
I've wormed her with pour on ivomec three times. Gave her la300 couple times.
She is mopey and stays by herself. Eats hay and what little grass there is.
For the last month I've penned her every day and gave her about ten pound of feed.
She eats funny and very slow. I feed her first then do rest of chores and she still hardly makes a dent in feed, after 45 minutes to an hour.
Monday gave her 12 cc banamine and 30 la300. Seemed a lot perkier.
But I made the mistake of putting safeguard pellets in feed and she wouldn't touch it.
She has always acted like she didn't really care for cow feed.
I doused her with cydectin tonight.
Manure looks completely normal. Hair is shiny black. Just skinny and seems weak.
Tonight I just left her in pen with feed, gotta let her out in about a hour. No water in there
Seems to be well hydrated, she peed a bucketfull standing outside pen today
Just to see if you get any results I'd pull her off all the grain then dose her with a heavy dose of probios about 3 days in a row and watch her.

Hardware crossed my mind, but I thought they kicked at belly. She doesn't really act like she trying to lick, just more swinging..
I not arguing with you at all, just no experience with hardware.

She just acts weird overall.
I will try magnet and probiotics.
Willing to try about anything.
Went back after three hours hadn't touched feed.
Went straight to water.

Went on Amazon to see if they had cow magnets they had a bewildering assortment.

What to buy????
I've never seen them at my feed store, I will call them tomorrow.

Its none of my business but I would ship her after any withdrawal period from your drugs. I doubt that she is sick or wormy. I had a young 4 YO cow like that that did the same thing. The vet could not find anything obvious wrong with her but didn't do a lot of testing. He said she wasn't sick and wasn't worth spending a bunch of money on trying to figure it out. I appreciate his honesty sometimes. She had a five month calf on her when she died but by then was not putting out much milk. The calf went on like nothing happened, I guess because it wasn't getting fed much.

She would eat cubes and graze with the herd, but kept losing weight. I hoped she would make it to weaning but one day she just turned up missing. I smelled her down in the creek bottom a couple days later.

Its a tough decision on how much money you want to spend trying to figure out whats wrong with a cheap cow.
Good luck

Bird dog, I wish I had done that a month ago, now she so poor i might be better off to shoot.
Most of my cows are on the plump side, so isn't neglect, I just should have moved on earlier.

danl":8dswf186 said:
Went on Amazon to see if they had cow magnets they had a bewildering assortment.

What to buy????
I've never seen them at my feed store, I will call them tomorrow.

These are the ones you want. The best as they will not degrade over time in the rumen. This is also the best price anywhere on them. I know because every single bull, cow and heifer in the herd has one in them. Incredibly cheap insurance.

http://livestockconcepts.com/en/equipment/1580-magnet-smooth.html

Unfortunately they are currently unavailable through Amazon.

At this point, hardware is the best case scenario. Better get her tested for johnies..

Lazy M":139iv330 said:
At this point, hardware is the best case scenario. Better get her tested for johnies..

Johnnes cattle can't get enough to eat. Never leave the feeder. Nothing mopey about them till they're dead. They will be a sack of bones trying to gorge themselves.

angus9259":1nutla35 said:
Lazy M":1nutla35 said:

Johnnes cattle can't get enough to eat. Never leave the feeder. Nothing mopey about them till they're dead. They will be a sack of bones trying to gorge themselves.
Good point, you're right.

First thing I thought of was johnnes, and ruled it out because of completely normal manure. She has never had the runs and poor appetite.
Had a relative that had a cow with johnnes. Never ending eating

Lazy M":23zvztlx said:

Doesn't sound like Johne's disease from the description,by the time they are in poor condition Johne's cows tend to eat voraciously, their tail will be covered in crap, and a bottle jaw will develop.

Latest posts