Pondering Again.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I have been pondering selling out, selling all the hay equipment and running stockers from April till October.
Run them on grass only, quit dealing with hay headaches and cows in cold weather. I probably won't but that would sure cut the upfront cost on fuel and fertilizer to stay in my pocket.

I think the same thing at least once every year. I sure would miss sitting on the porch watching the calves kick up their heels when the weather turns warm, but I wouldn't miss the worry and time in the cold.

i dont think youll like running stockers.because there wont be any calves born.an they wont be running though the pastures.plus you wont get all them checks in the mail.youll only get paid once a year.an you wont like sitting round the house the rest of the year.

At some point in time, priorities change.

A decrease in work load can be very relaxing. New opportunites arise.

The setting sun is rising somewhere else.

Caustic Burno":1u8snicz said:
I have been pondering selling out, selling all the hay equipment and running stockers from April till October.

Most folks don't seem able to do what you are successful at. Why change it completely? Cut back, run a few stockers and see how it goes if you can buy them right. Or, Cut back and become an order buyer for those who don't have the eye for cattle along with stocking some you find good buys on.

backhoeboogie":27x02lfz said:
Caustic Burno":27x02lfz said:

Most folks don't seem able to do what you are successful at. Why change it completely? Cut back, run a few stockers and see how it goes if you can buy them right. Or, Cut back and become an order buyer for those who don't have the eye for cattle along with stocking some you find good buys on.

This makes sense to me too. I sold out 9 years ago. Now at my age, (64 in July), no way I can get back in. I work with my son now on his place. Maybe you could rent the hay ground out for a year or so, keep the machinery, and see how it goes. Not an easy choice, I know.

That's why I say we've retired from the business so many times. We get out, mess around with something else for a while, but those momma cows and calves sart calling to us again. Next thing I know we've got a bunch of cows again.
Get's in your blood!

It sure does get in your blood, and stays there. I guess it all comes down to what someone is willing to put up with, or keep on doing. Health always plays a huge part in everything we do.

What ever you do please keep sharing your wisdom here with us. If I can just get started and get to where you are in the business I'd be ok.

Caustic, I've only been visiting this board a few months but in that time have learned worlds of things from your post. Seems you've been doing this cow stuff a long time and been exposed to just about everything imaginable. I say you've earned a vacation if you want it. Especially with the haying equipment. But then I'll also bet you a Coca Cola you'll do just like my dad and everybody else and get right back in gradually. Sure as heck ain't no get rich scheme but definitely one of the most rewarding things I've ever been associated with even when done on the "hobby level".

You keep pondering and go where your heart leads you but you absolutely cannot abandon us on the board here. I know you still have tons of information and little helps to pass on to dummies like myself.

May the Good Lord keep smiling down on you whatever you do. :tiphat:

Whatever you do.......Don't quit your day job. :lol:

CB,There is not a day goes by that I don't regret retirement. When you spend your working years doing what you love and then having to give it up. After a while you get bored . And before you know it you get old and sick like me. If I was still in good health, I would be doing what I always loved to do. I know everyone is different. Just my thoughts, good luck whatever your decision.

I was having a bad morning, I have diabetic nueropthy some days just aren't as fun as they used to be. These cold mornings are a lot worse. I imagine the last cow will leave here shortly after my funeral as the kids burn the rubber off the tires halfway getting here and skidding the rest of the way to a stop.
Hit the salebarn the week after the obit's pick up some good cattle cheap.

CB, That is pretty much how I feel. I'm sorry that you have bad days. Remember that you aren't by yourself, we are all getting old. I got some terrible news yesterday. Have you seen on the news about the soldier and his wife {also in the military] that were murdered in Washington State? That young soldier's father used to work for me. I remember when that soldier was born. It is hard news to hear. Maybe that is why I am so blue today. God bless you and I hope you feel better tommorrow.You can pm me if you wish.

Caustic, you're a card! There are two types of guys who never give up until their toes turn up and they are cowmen and preachers. My guy is both. He is going to retire every Sunday night from preaching and every day from raising cows but somehow he just has to keep on going. That is just who he is and what he does. Thanks for your helpful words of wisdom and keep them coming.

Caustic Burno":2bx1ypdt said:
Run them on grass only, quit dealing with hay headaches and cows in cold weather. I probably won't but that would sure cut the upfront cost on fuel and fertilizer to stay in my pocket.

Switching to stockers because of the upfront costs of fertilizer and fuel? What about the upfront cost you will have buying stockers! You have to spend money to make money, as long as you are making money.

CB, I don't know you beyond that which you share with us here. But I think you, I, and many others are much alike. We will quit when our FATHER calls us home. Those we leave behind will receive whatever earthly fruits are left to be gleaned, but we who have been stewards of earth and animal will receive fruits far more tasty than any that may be received in mortal life.

I have good days, bad days. But each time I stand out in a field, look at grazing cattle, see birds on wing, feel my horse's muzzle on my shoulder, relish the beauty of the sun settling into the west, I feel HIS hand upon me and I am at peace. I am where I should be.

You seem, at least to me, to be a very good man. Hang in there! :cboy:

Darhawk":u4iujfja said:
CB, I don't know you beyond that which you share with us here.

Well Darhawk I don't know you but you must be a good judge of character. I see it pretty much the same as you.

auctionboy":l7284wdt said:
Caustic Burno":l7284wdt said:

Switching to stockers because of the upfront costs of fertilizer and fuel? What about the upfront cost you will have buying stockers! You have to spend money to make money, as long as you are making money.

I believe if I sold out I could cover that cost and have some of those Xtra dollars my DIL talks about.
I have never had an xtra dollar before.
The cost of hay production is going to be unreal this year fertilizer 500 a ton, farm diesel 3.20 a gallon .
Thats not including all the upkeep cost of the equipment. If a man could get out of dealing with hay there could be some real good profits.

CB, your pondering got me to ponder your situation. You see I have a neighbor who did just the very thing you are talking about doing. He sold the cows, bought the feeders, cut way back on haying. This was about five years ago. Well today, he no longer runs the cattle, he did buy a new baler last year though. Loves to sit on a tractor. He and his wife spend a lot of time messing around with my cattle though. They shoot out their door whenever I call with some question, or a calve is coming.

They have told me on numerous occasions that they view this as the best of both worlds. They get to spend time around cattle, but leave all the headaches to me. Sounds a lot like Grandparenting to me! See you just need to find some newbie like me in you neigborhood.

Latest posts