Polled Hereford Bull Opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

TR

Reaction score
Okay ya'll, I have my heavy duty Kevlar on, and am ready to hear ya'lls thoughts on this guy. I know what I like and don't like about him, but am curious if my thoughts correspond with yours. Call it a check on my ability to judge a bull! :D

EPDs:
BW - 1.2
WW - 16
YW - 25
MM - 13
M&G - 21
MCE - 0.7
SC - -0.2

He's almost 18 mos old. I don't have his exact BW, but he was at around 400lbs as a 4 month old weanling, and around 900 or so as a yearling. He is only now starting to put on the growth that I would have expected him to do at 12 months. He will be used primarily on BeefmasterXHerf cross heifers and smaller framed (1000lbs) commercial Hereford cows.

Cows003.jpg

Cows007.jpg

Cows006.jpg

that bulls got pink eye, he has no pigmentation on his eyes they will blister and burn and get infected in hot climates, :cboy: besides that he will probably good on heifers ,looks like a light bull. ;-)

Hi Topsquar,

I knew as soon as I posted that someone would say that he had pink eye.....He's okay. Its been incredibly windy here lately. 20-40 mph for days on end, and they're all tearing a bit. I've been watching them carefully, and aside from the tearing, no one is behaving like they have a pink eye infection. Of course, taking the picture when he blinked didn't help matters either! However, you're right, he has no pigmentation around his eyes, and the rims and lids are pink skinned. While it does get very hot here, its a very humid hot. Lots of trees for them to go under which they use during the hot parts of the day. Will watch him for potential eye issues though. Thanks!

OK, I'll jump in. He seems posty-legged and cow-hocked. Front legs look knock-kneed and toed out. He lacks width of base, and muscling. He does have good depth, length and looks level topped. He might be a little wasty in his neck/dewlap. Hard to be specific from the pictures.

I think he is a little big headed for my taste. That may be because he is a little behind on his growth curve or he COULD have more calving problems than his birth wt EPD would indicate. I like his milk EPD and I like his overall structure; but he is not thick enough, has mediocre individual performance, and his weaning wt EPD and yearling wt EPDs are dreadful. 99% of the calves in his calf crop had superior growth EPDs

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 2B3C2B3C3A

I would like to see Polled Hereford bulls in everybody's field; but in his case almost everybody has better bulls for sale. I hate to dog anybody's bull (and he is not hopeless); but I would sell him and go buy me a better bull.

I would like to see a picture with his head up, I think he might need a little more length between the hooks and pins.

Where you Texas people getting all that green grass at? I thouhgt you was in a Drought? Everything around here is brown as can be.

After looking at him I think you should sell him also do you deliver give you a 1000 bucks right now. I need a young one for some of the ladies. I am dead serious if you want to sell him pm me.

Caustic,,,,,how old are those calves in your picture? That little fellow on the right in the back is a stout looking thing.

Okay, I'll go see if I can get some pics of him with his head up for ya'll. Appreciate the comments, keep 'em comin'!

Caustic, yup, he's a brother to yours. I liked what you were doing with your program and your F-1 heifers, and knowing that we had a few BeefmasterXHerf heifers coming of age, and since he was such a good price, we thought we'd give him a run. His first calf out of a red brangus heifer should be here in May. I'm looking forward to seeing it. The heifer is a tank!

I'm real finicky about the fly situation. All animals here are sprayed every time I see a fly land and stick.....they look like they're about due again too, those pesky things are sticking to their legs today. Basically, if I see tails switching, its time to douse them again. Can't stand those things! :D

I like those bulls that throw calfs the size of a housecat get here 70 to 75 lbs haven't pulled one from my bull, put the boy on the right cows calfs will grow like weeds. I seen my young bull on another post today, I was thinking of contacting another member here about a new bull this summer. I just hate to switch bloodlines off those easy calvers. But I trust the other member also has some low birthweight bulls.

aplusmnt":bytcby1l said:
Caustic,,,,,how old are those calves in your picture? That little fellow on the right in the back is a stout looking thing.

I have no idea would have to check the books and that is a last summer pic as I don't have a digital camera.

Well I debated about getting in here - because I am not a pro - and there are so many out there - so I might as well not fake it - they'd catch me out pretty quick.

So my comment - "Looks ok to me. I'd use him on some to see how he does".

Too bad about being polled. 8)

Bez!

This bull versus Avg 2004 Calf Crop Average
EPDs:
BW - 1.2________________3.7
WW - 16_______________ 38
YW - 25________________64
MM - 13________________14
M&G - 21_______________33
MCE - 0.7______________.6
SC - -0.2______________.6

I know some folks here place no value on the EPDs at all; but the only traits he is predicted to excel at (and EPDs are just predictors when there is no calves yet) are birth weight and maternal calving ease. He might make a decent heifer bull; but beefmaster cross cows SHOULD be able to handle most Herfs with no problem and should milk well enough for a growthier calf. Most Hereford ranches would have castrated this bull, IF they even allowed the pairing in the first place.

I agree with you and at the same time disagree.

Agree because there are areas that can be improved.

Disagree because someone may want an animal like this to put on cows - walk away and forget about them. There are people who cannot for whatever reason - see their cattle more than once or twice a month.

I figure this guy is potentially trouble free.

He is 18 months old -bet those numbers change next year.

Bez!

Brandonm2":3gxclm3c said:
I think he is a little big headed for my taste. That may be because he is a little behind on his growth curve or he COULD have more calving problems than his birth wt EPD would indicate. I like his milk EPD and I like his overall structure; but he is not thick enough, has mediocre individual performance, and his weaning wt EPD and yearling wt EPDs are dreadful. 99% of the calves in his calf crop had superior growth EPDs

I would like to see Polled Hereford bulls in everybody's field; but in his case almost everybody has better bulls for sale. I hate to dog anybody's bull (and he is not hopeless); but I would sell him and go buy me a better bull.

400 lbs. at 4 months is a weight per day of age of 3.33 lbs., I would hardly call that mediocre, he must come from a milker and have some growth potential to use that milk. What happened to him after weaning is more due to management than genetics, since growth rate is less than 40% heritable. He looks to me like you made a wise purchase for what you want to do with him. :) I think Brandomn2 wants to sell you a new bull! :D

Aaaahhhh, therin lies the kicker........The heifers are out here with me and are watched religiously. I am usually present for each and every heifer birth.

The commercial cows are up at Honey's place 130 miles away. He's usually there, but has been deployed for the next 18 months. I'm only able to make it there on the weekends but have a neighbor who can check on things like water and put out meal and hay for them if they need it. I doubt he could correct any birthing problems, but he sure could call me and pray that I make the 2 1/2 hr drive in time to be of any help. The current bull throws average to small calves, so big calves won't be a problem if we keep him. Personally, I think an average BW, more growthy bull would work better at calf sale time for those cows, but alas...I don't get to make all the decisions! ;-)

One question though.....this bull is not being used on any of the purebreds. They were AI'd to different bulls as he's their brother. He was purchased strictly for the commercial herd. I don't need to submit the calves weights and stuff if they're from commercial cows, do I? His numbers won't change until he's bred to purebred cows and their calves are weighed and submitted, right?

KMacGinley":2gkfrboj said:
Brandonm2":2gkfrboj said:

400 lbs. at 4 months is a weight per day of age of 3.33 lbs., I would hardly call that mediocre, he must come from a milker and have some growth potential to use that milk. What happened to him after weaning is more due to management than genetics, since growth rate is less than 40% heritable. He looks to me like you made a wise purchase for what you want to do with him. :) I think Brandomn2 wants to sell you a new bull! :D

400 minus BW of 80 = 320 divided by 120 days = 2.66 per day. Right on the mark I figure for a decent calf.

Bez!