Poll - price of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
options mentioned in another thread that he didn't take into consideration how prices varied from place to place. There has been talk in the past about the cost of feeding hay.
So I am curious, those who buy hay, how much are you paying?

Where are you located?

Round Bales: Type of hay / price

Square Bales: Type of hay / price

I'll go first.

Where are you located?
Texas Gulf Coast, south of Houston

Round Bales: Type of hay / price
6x6 milo stubble $35.00
6x6 mixed grass $45.00

Square Bales: Type of hay / price
Fertilized Coastal Jiggs, 65 to 70 lb bales $5.00 in the field.

bigbull338":mykzw5gk said:
we sale hay to a buddy of ours
northeast tx
coastal
5 by 6 bales
$30 to $32 ea

I've got more than that invested in mine. Mostly fertilizer cost. The horse people tell me it is better than any "horse quality" hay they buy. I have been reminding the cows of that :D

No more of it for sale. If I calculated correctly, I should finish with about 50 rounds left over. That's not much margin if we happen to experience a drought next spring/summer.

we dont have anything in the hay except the baling cost.all of our hay is completely organic.

Seems the market changed completely around here after the rains started. Maize stalks are about $30 and are big and heavy...2200-2300lbs. Grass hay probably down to $45 a roll by now. Some has been fertilized, some has not. Course it all hay looks good in a bale. Paid $38 delivered for some maize stalks back in August and they tested a little over 11% protein and the cows love them.

Haven't heard what square bales or bringing.

bigbull338":kmnkoovz said:
we dont have anything in the hay except the baling cost.all of our hay is completely organic.
What source of "organic" fertilizer do you use - litter or another product or by organic you mean you don't do anything and are actually mining the soil?

Around here a 4x6 bale of good mixed grass sells for about 30 to 35 dollars per roll. Square bales of mixed grass goes for about 3 to 4.50 per bale depending on quality.

I paid $100 a ton for round bales of mixed grass / alfalfa hay and was happy to do it. Sounds like you all are doing better than me.

Northern IL

Large squares of alfalfa hay. $70.00

smalll squares of alfalfa hay. $4.00

I dont know about round bales. I gave the farmer up the road a hand bringing some corn in and he is going to give me some hay.
I have already put up 500 small squares of my own this summer (grass hay).

Beckett

angus9259":218tvvjj said:
I paid $100 a ton for round bales of mixed grass / alfalfa hay and was happy to do it. Sounds like you all are doing better than me.

First quantifiable post, hay quality issues aside. 5 cents a pound is not too bad.

Don't make fun of the magical make believe clover farm or you will get in trouble. :lol:

Lots of hay for sale around here some of it good some of it not

on average a 700lb 4x5 bale of mixed grass hay is going for $20 per bale

I sold 400 bales or a little more of good fescue,orchard grass and clover in the field for $32 for a 4x5 weighng 1000-1100lbs guy who bought it, had it tested said it was running a little over 12% protein

I won't sell any for less than $32 so I will leave it in the barns

middle of Michigan

1400# round bales of first cutting alfalfa/clover with some grass $25

1200# round bales second cutting alfalfa $30

1100# round bales first cutting orchard grass alfalfa clover off of filter strips $20

4 X 5 round bale of corn stover 15$

round bales of straw $10-$12

out of the field this summer

ok now to answer the qs.BC we havent limed or fert in prolly 30yrs.an it sure hasnt hurt the production 1 bit.1 60ac meadow always makes between 150 an 180 5 by 6 bales a cutting.since we only need between 100 an 125 bales a yr its only cut once.we had 40 bales carryover hay from last year.it made 140 bales this year.because baler man was sick an kept putting it off.15acs was cut an never got baled due to rain in nov.so thats 50 bales lost.sold 40acs of standing hay.that field made 80 bales.last year same field made 125 bales.this years total hay wouldve been 260 bales plus the 50 the rain got.thats a total of 310 bales 1 cutting.meadows do that year in year out w/o missing a beat.TNCATTLEMAN the 60acs is pure coastal meadow no weeds.if it was full of weeds i could not sale it for $30 to $35 a bale.

You guys should load up and bring your hay to south central Texas. Around here, 5 x 5 1/2 coastal rolls are $65 - $80. And everybody feels fortunate to get it that cheap.

even if you bear bones your hay price.your looking at $60 a bale more or less including hauling.

Jim62":2rqlo1qb said:
You guys should load up and bring your hay to south central Texas. Around here, 5 x 5 1/2 coastal rolls are $65 - $80. And everybody feels fortunate to get it that cheap.

Lots of export hay folks around here and they are all bunged up with hay stockpiled, I am thinking the trucking is throwing a wrench in that biz right now.

Latest posts