"Pneumonia" Treatments ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Had a warm fall here and more pneumonia than usual. Treated a lot of co mingled unweaned 3 wts.. Seemed like the response to meds really varied for different animals. I think I had a few that were viral. Do you take temps, and if so, how quickly to you change treatments if temps do not come down?

24 hours per vets recommendation, sometimes 36 (like if the med is given in the morning, check temp the following night). Consider if you have given banamine or dex in combination with the antibiotic, your temp will not be accurate. You need to let them come off of it when taking the temp. I always check temp before giving initial antibiotics but not in between dosing ~ its just one more interaction when the calf is already stressed.

I know some vets recommend that if you dont see improvement in a calf within 24-48 hours, then switch meds. I have usually given the same treatment you do, but repeat it after 48 hours. Has always worked for me.

Limomike":2gttdg9v said:
I have usually given the same treatment you do, but repeat it after 48 hours. Has always worked for me.
Yes, always give the second dose, even if you notice improvement, if you went the IM/3cc route vs the SQ/6 mm route on the banamine. If you don't notice an improvement in 24 hours, consider switching antibiotics.

This has good information.
http://www.nuflor.com/nuflor_glance/faq.asp

There's the problem.
Plus most anti inflammatory meds also reduce fever. Alot like aspirin or ibuprofen does for us. Can't get an accurate temp while its working.

I have had good luck with zuprevo this year, it start's working in 45 minute's and works for 10 days.It's one cc per hundred and it is about 5$ a cc so not cheap but imo worth every penny.I have used draxxin and baytril for sevarel years and they have worked good but this year zuprevo is working alot better.

I agree on the Zuprevo. I have started 3 pot loads this fall on it. I did metaphalyxis with it and
have not lost a calf. That is really unusual for fall calves in my operation. I can't comment on
treatment as I have not had many "pulls".

Lane

Latest posts