Please teach me about salt consumption

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I always have salt blocks out for my cattle near my waterer. Recently salt consumption has increased quite a bit. This seemed to coincide with the move from hay to grass. Also coincides with post-calving/lactation. They always have good mineral tubs available (no salt added).

Checking on them this afternoon, I was surprised to find two cows aggressively licking a salt block for some time.

What is it that causes salt consumption to go up and down so dramatically?

Thanks. Jim

SRBeef":2gvg4mg1 said:
I always have salt blocks out for my cattle near my waterer. Recently salt consumption has increased quite a bit. This seemed to coincide with the move from hay to grass. Also coincides with post-calving/lactation. They always have good mineral tubs available (no salt added).

Checking on them this afternoon, I was surprised to find two cows aggressively licking a salt block for some time.

What is it that causes salt consumption to go up and down so dramatically?

Thanks. Jim
Jim
a loose salt is better as a cow can get more at a time and don't wear themselves out trying to lick it from a block
salt plays an important role in milk production and alot of it also has to do with the transition from hay to grass
my cows which are dry now have increased their consumption in the last 4-6 weeks to double of what it was 2-3 months ago

What does your loose mineral bag say about providing extra salt. Ours says not to, I found that especailly with the Hi-Mag the mienral consumption is way too low if salt is provided other then what is in the minerals

dun":2ug7x0oy said:
What does your loose mineral bag say about providing extra salt. Ours says not to, I found that especailly with the Hi-Mag the mienral consumption is way too low if salt is provided other then what is in the minerals
Dun what % of salt is in your minerals most that state don't add salt are considered a complete ration and are usually made up of 20 to 30% salt
that is one reason I don't feed a mineral with salt added , I keep the salt out seperately so they can choose what they want salt or mineral
sometimes mineral consumption is more and sometime salt consumption is more

Angus Cowman":2iqvsn1f said:
dun":2iqvsn1f said:
Dun what % of salt is in your minerals
Don;t know and it's too crappy out to go check right now

dun":1tfqb23d said:
Angus Cowman":1tfqb23d said:
dun":1tfqb23d said:
Dun what % of salt is in your minerals
Don;t know and it's too crappy out to go check right now
WHy is it crappy out is a beautiful morning here the south :lol2:

Angus Cowman":1y3mu4tn said:
Winds haven;t layed down from the front that passed us by and it's still piddling rain.

dun":3mrkjl91 said:
Angus Cowman":3mrkjl91 said:
Winds haven;t layed down from the front that passed us by and it's still piddling rain.
Lucky you we didn't even get any rain out of that sysytem and we sure could use it only got 1 3/4 inches out of this last set of storms on monday

Angus Cowman":2uz9jsfy said:
dun":2uz9jsfy said:
Angus Cowman":2uz9jsfy said:
Lucky you we didn't even get any rain out of that sysytem and we sure could use it only got 1 3/4 inches out of this last set of storms on monday
We only got 3/4 inch from the one day before yesterday but it's been pllaying at raining off and on all night. Not enough to do any good, just enough to be irritating

dun":3jg07kbe said:
Angus Cowman":3jg07kbe said:
dun":3jg07kbe said:
We only got 3/4 inch from the one day before yesterday but it's been pllaying at raining off and on all night. Not enough to do any good, just enough to be irritating

Braggarts............. :nod:

Thank you for the replies and the U of Arkansas link above. I use Crystalyx Mineralyx tubs for mineral. They are an excellent mineral source and contain no salt. I agree with the statement above that I don't want to require salt intake to get needed minerals nor excessive mineral intake to get the salt required.

I bought another salt block yesterday but will also put out some loose salt in my old mineral feeder. In our climate the dry mineral I tried earlier got as hard as a rock and was not consumed hardly at all. I ended up throwing it away. The Mineralyx works very well. I leave a tub in the corral which keeps them coming in and out.

I have one of these feeders I will use for loose salt. Only problem with it is that it must be staked down or cattle turn it over.

base_media

Thanks again for the replies. I don't recall salt consumption increasing this much last spring. Jim

SRBeef":31ftr5bq said:
Thank you for the replies and the U of Arkansas link above. I use Crystalyx Mineralyx tubs for mineral. They are an excellent mineral source and contain no salt. I agree with the statement above that I don't want to require salt intake to get needed minerals nor excessive mineral intake to get the salt required.

I bought another salt block yesterday but will also put out some loose salt in my old mineral feeder. In our climate the dry mineral I tried earlier got as hard as a rock and was not consumed hardly at all. I ended up throwing it away. The Mineralyx works very well. I leave a tub in the corral which keeps them coming in and out.

I have one of these feeders I will use for loose salt. Only problem with it is that it must be staked down or cattle turn it over.

base_media

Jim

Jim

Have been told that bolting that type of mineral feeder to an old truck tire will keep them from turning it over and still allow it to be portable.

Thanks again for the replies. I don't recall salt consumption increasing this much last spring.

Texas PaPaw":9phus7gl said:
Jim

Have been told that bolting that type of mineral feeder to an old truck tire will keep them from turning it over and still allow it to be portable.

Sounds like a good idea. I will try that. I was getting tired of seeing mineral and salt dumped out on the ground, staked it down then got tired of having to use a crow bar to move it.... Thank you. Jim

i have used a complete LOOSE mineral mix for years.

we always have consumption go up when grass is lush. Happens spring and fall. Fall is as bad as spring becasue we fall calve and that increases consuption as well.

MONEY WELL SPENT.

All you need to know about salt consumption is that you need to keep it out at all times. If they are consuming it they likely need it.

Latest posts