Pleasant Surprise

Help Support CattleToday:

Visited with a fellow this morning from the Whitetail Institute. Seems "Southern" bags and sells a lot of their food plot mixes. He's trying to figure out a way to get it into Texas without so much shipping. Told him "Good luck". Folks around here mostly feed pellets and corn...plant very few food plots.

Thats a good looking plot. I haven't planted any of myne. Work sure gets in the way of my plans some times.

skyhightree1":1opafl78 said:
Is there an particular reason why not many plant food plots and would rather just use feeders?

Rain fall is a good start. :) You have do plant a pretty good size plot to stay ahead of the large deer numbers. Lots of dollars down the tube if you don't get any rain.

Brute 23":1u617sgn said:
Thats a good looking plot. I haven't planted any of myne. Work sure gets in the way of my plans some times.

skyhightree1":1u617sgn said:
Is there an particular reason why not many plant food plots and would rather just use feeders?

Rain fall is a good start. :) You have do plant a pretty good size plot to stay ahead of the large deer numbers. Lots of dollars down the tube if you don't get any rain.

Brute thanks.. just give me directions to your plots and I will fix them right on up :lol: i honestly had no idea if that stuff would grow and how well it would produce was the first time using the stuff. The deer haven't went crazy eating the plot yet but im hoping they start soon.

skyhightree1":3bdkwb92 said:
Brute 23":3bdkwb92 said:

skyhightree1":3bdkwb92 said:

Brute thanks.. just give me directions to your plots and I will fix them right on up :lol: i honestly had no idea if that stuff would grow and how well it would produce was the first time using the stuff. The deer haven't went crazy eating the plot yet but im hoping they start soon.
Sky, after the 1st frost they will start hammering it. The frost causes the sugars to start coming up in the plants making them much more palatable. Also acorns are hitting the ground right now and that is a favorite food source that they never have to leave the woods for.

you can easily mix your own game plot mixes....

it would work best if you planted twice a year...a summer plot mix and a fall plot mix.....

suggestions that work around here...

summer; a mixture with things like
pearl millet
cow peas
buckwheat
soy beans
grain sorghum
sun flower.

fall mix is easier.....
wheat barley rye or triticale or some of each
dwarf essex rape or canola
turnips
austrian winter pea
crimson clover
tillage radishes
forage mustard
vetch

here is a link for a company in Nebraska that will make you any mix you want. It is where I buy our cover crop seed for our cover crop project. Tell Keith I recommended them to you....won't get anybody anything but Keith is a good guy and we have become cyber friends.....

I have been planting and grazing cover crops like the above on my place for two years now and I now have quail and I have never had quail before and a turkey nested no more than fifty yards from my front poorch....My aussie found the nest and flushed the hen and brought me a poult.....

some of my producers commented last winter that the deer ate all their cover crops but when spring came they exploded and had a good cover.....

mix should include a grass species, a legume and a brassica as well as any other....

http://www.greencoverseed.com/

skyhightree1":3blfq7an said:

Most are hunting on leased land and also don't have the equipment needed to plant a food plot. Just easier to haul a feeder down, set it up, fill it up and wait. AND so much of the land has absolutely no management program. Anything they put out is simply "bait" which is legal in the state.

skyhightree1":3dit77ng said:
Brute 23":3dit77ng said:

skyhightree1":3dit77ng said:

Brute...I think Sky just promised you he could get you some rain...... :nod:

What is that leafy plant that's dominating your plot, sky? It doesn't look like any of the plants listed in the bag mix you linked to.

1982vett":z794a2xr said:
skyhightree1":z794a2xr said:

Brute...I think Sky just promised you he could get you some rain...... :nod:

That's what it sounded like. By the look of his place I believe him. :nod:

Brute thanks.. just give me directions to your plots and I will fix them right on up :lol: i honestly had no idea if that stuff would grow and how well it would produce was the first time using the stuff. The deer haven't went crazy eating the plot yet but im hoping they start soon.[/quote]
Sky, after the 1st frost they will start hammering it. The frost causes the sugars to start coming up in the plants making them much more palatable. Also acorns are hitting the ground right now and that is a favorite food source that they never have to leave the woods for.[/quote]

Acorns??????? What is that ? LOL none of the trees anywhere around here have them on them this year.

ga.prime":145diz61 said:
What is that leafy plant that's dominating your plot, sky? It doesn't look like any of the plants listed in the bag mix you linked to.

Its kale I wanted to be sure something edible came up so i planted kale in there with the mix.. I got a lil carried away with it lol

Pdfangus thanks for the suggestions - Do you think it would be too late for me to try a mix this year ?

Texas - I understand now makes sense. If you feed any game animal after Sep 1 they will have your hyde and anything else you got with you if they catch you. They do not play that game here at all. They love taking your guns truck 4 wheelers and any hunting equip you have with you on your trip.

1982-Brute I did promise rain - I will do a rain dance soon as its planted :lol:

ideal time is labor day but any cover is better than no cover....

I am still planting cover crops in my grazing paddocks after I graze them....

planted four this past weekend and have a couple to do this weekend.....

the rain this week will really help....had 1.3 inches in my gauge when I left home this morning and it was still raining.

i am planting some to winter oats and crimson clover and others to a nine way mix we are using in our project plots this year.

Here is a link to my blog that has photos.

http://pdfangus.com/category/conservation-articles/

Looks nice. My brassica field doesn't look nearly as uniform this year. Some spots are 1' tall, some are 2" tall. I think it was my inconsistent (hurried) disking that's the problem. The areas where I got everything worked up good look great. The areas that needed more work look pitiful. That what happens when I get in a hurry. Did you plow and disk, or just disc? From what I've seen, brassicas seem to grow better in loose soil, but it could be a coincidence. I also have some seeds that get out into the grass, and they grow fine. It's been a while since I had a field grow uniformly, just trying to figure out what I'm missing. I think it's because I haven't used a plow for a few years, and just don't get the soil worked deep enough with the disk.

I never till.....

I am trying to build the soil....

tillage kills the soil...

I bushog down any standing residue after grazing......I try to graze half and leave half....

then I broadcast my seed and run over the field with a little lawn aerator just to try to enhance soil to seed contact....

pdf thanks for sharing and that does look good... I figured I was too late on clovers and stuff and figured id just wait and plant them in the spring. We got about the same amount of rain which is good.

skyhightree1":2u93f2t5 said:
pdf thanks for sharing and that does look good... I figured I was too late on clovers and stuff and figured id just wait and plant them in the spring. We got about the same amount of rain which is good.

YOU CAN PLANT MOST CLOVERS ANY TIME BETWEEN NOW AND MID MARCH .
FEB AND MARCH YOU CAN JUST BROADCAST THEM....KNOW AS FROST SEEDING AND GET GOOD RESULTS....

CRIMSON CLOVER WILL DO BETTER IF IT IS PLANTED IN THE FALL AND IT IS NOT TOO LATE NOW TO PLANT IT.........
THE CRIMSON FADES EARLY WITH THE SPRING HEAT AS OPPOSED TO THE RED AND WHILE WHICH ONLY NEED MOISTURE TO SURVIVE IN SUMMER.

i AM STILL PLANTING CRIMSON AND WILL PLANT SOME THIS WEEK END....WITH WINTER OATS.

I want to plant some winter oats as well. I also plan on doing cinnamon clover I will prob plant some this weekend then. I also was thinking about broadcasting some rye with the clover then lightly disc it all in for a pasture. I have another plot I will go check this weekend that I planted a few weeks ago and posted about with ladino and kale. I saw buck oats in the feed store didnt look at it close but I wonder if thats the same as winter oats.

I think buck oats is a brand rather than a type....
but they appear to be talked about as a winter oat.....

winter oats may be difficult to walk in our local feed stores and buy....they should be able to get em though

I bought mine with my cover crop seed order from Nebraska...

pdfangus":zh0j9ypj said:
I think buck oats is a brand rather than a type....
but they appear to be talked about as a winter oat.....

winter oats may be difficult to walk in our local feed stores and buy....they should be able to get em though

I bought mine with my cover crop seed order from Nebraska...

oh ok.. I knew I hadn't seen many oats in the feed store this year. I will try oats next year and stick with the clovers and rye this year. pdf do you have any acorns up your way?

Latest posts