Plants growing well.

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian Cattleman

Reaction score
Tenterfield,New England Region NSW,Australia
Our garden is a picture at the minute. We are at the end of the second month of summer here in Australia. Our roses are having another flush of flowers, we have dozens of petunias out now also Gladiolis and Dahlias. Will have a few flowers for our local Agricultural show the end of next week.
Lawn needs mowing about every 4/5 days now to keep it clear to see snakes.
Will post a picture when I get time.
Colin :D

Lawns growing like mad, our roses are having another flush just bought a few more,now have 95. Have hybrid teas,floribundas,David Austens,standards and a few climbing ones.
The rain has knocked the petunias about a bit. Soon time to plant the sweet peas (17th March) and the pansies.
Colin

Colin,
Would enjoy seeing pictures of the flowers in your garden. Do you have your sweet peas attached to something, and can you grow morning glories in your area? I'm really interested in seeing your hybrid teas and climbers.

Hope you get those pictures posted soon.

Take care....

The sweet peas just grow up wire netting trellis. I've been trying to download photos from my new camera,but the computer has been playing up.Looking into buying another computer,got my computer literate daughter helping me.
I have close to two acres of garden. The last acre I have only developed over the last 14 months. A neighbour reckons I won't stop till I reach the creek which is about 300 metres away and down about a 100 feet. I will only be going as far east as what I am now. I have already pinched part of the the horse and donkey paddock. I may develop the entrance to the property. I already have Gold and Green Leylandi pines each side of the drive down the hill. I plan on planting a few Lombardy Poplars as well. I have planted lots of eucalypts and calistemons in wind breaks below the house to help protect us from the cold winds of winter. It has helped us develop a micro climate that enables lots more plants to survive the frosts of winter.
I'll keep trying to get the computer operating to send the photos.
Colin :)

Sounds like you have a beautiful garden - would love to see photos, but I completely understand what you're going thru with computer problems. I have had a digital camera for 3 years and have never successfully downloaded any of the pics onto the computer (I finally gave up). Heck I can't even get one to post thru photobucket .... one of these days I will succeed!!

Our lawn has slowed up a bit. Had one frost in the garden so far. It wasn't severe enough to knock any of the susceptible plants. Most of the garden is planted with seedlings. Have to plants the bulbs yet,tulips,daffodils (left some in the ground the past couple of years)freesias,snowdrops and then ranunculi and anemones. Have sweet peas coming up,planted about 25 punnets of pansies. Plus lots of other flowers.

Australian Cattleman":2joqt3rb said:
Our garden is a picture at the minute. We are at the end of the second month of summer here in Australia. Our roses are having another flush of flowers, we have dozens of petunias out now also Gladiolis and Dahlias. Will have a few flowers for our local Agricultural show the end of next week.
Lawn needs mowing about every 4/5 days now to keep it clear to see snakes.
Will post a picture when I get time.
How did your flowers do at the show????

Did quite well with the flowers at the show. Won champion Gladioli of the show also got 10 firsts and 10 seconds with,roses,dahlias,calendulas and gladioli. Quite happy with the result. Put thirty entries to gain this. The competition was excellent this year with the good season we've had.
It was a bit of a rush because we had a team of twenty head of cattle in the lead classes and 6 bulls in the unled classes as well we had vegetables and eggs entered as well.
Thats what country lifes about.

Been busy these past few days planting and tidying up before winter. Have lifted the Gladioli and Dahlia bulbs. Have the tulip bulbs in the bottom of the refridgerator to get them cold enough to plant in the next few weeks. Have all the pansy,violas,dianthus,stocks planted. Also added another David Austen rose to my collection. my sweet peas are about an inch tall so far. Could do with a drop of rain to save having to water as much.

Our lawn looks a little sad after the frosts but the gardens ok. The pansies are starting to flower,still planting them when I find a spot thats empty. Some of my bulds are sneaking through the soil. Have to plant my tulips and ranunculi and anemones this weekend. Bought five more David Austin roses last week,had to make a new garden bed for them. I have 105 roses in my garden now.The darn roses are still flowering especially the DA's they seem just to go on and on. All the roses will be pruned at the end of July. I give them a light prune in mid summer which has helped them continue to flower. As well this rime I give them a good dose each month of sea weed fertiliser.
Love gardening
Colin

My garden has greened up this past week. We have had about an inch of rain spread over the past week. No frosts. Supposed to get back into them in the next couple of days. My bulbs are starting to come through. Still have some to plant yet. Roses will be pruned in about a months time. I have 105 so far in the garden ranging from David Austins,Hybrid Tea,Floribunda,Standards,Miniatures etc.
Colin

We use the bail string for climbers on the sweet peas, built a trellis and ran the strings down. Peas finished but the beans are producing well. Susie put in seven Zuc plants and now the family and neighbors are well stocked. Been close to 100 degrees this past week...pasture almost gone but the squash has run all over the garden and have sixty pumpkins on the vine along with the other types.
Temps should return to normal this weekend but this is our drought season so no rain expected until mid gto late Sept.
Dave Mc

Latest posts