Planting winter graze

Help Support CattleToday:

I have two small fields and will plant one in ryegrass this weekend. The other field will have to wait until the ryegrass is up and ready, by that time it will be winter. How late can elbon rye,oats or wheat be planted. Should I do something different?

I have planted rye and oats as late as the end of Oct and still had good luck.

The best advice I can give is talk to your local AG ext rep or try the feed store. They usually know the answers.

I have planted oats up to the week of christmas and still been able to cut them for hay. Any time after that and I believe it would be a waste of money.

We usually plant oats first to try and get some grazing before Christmas. We actually planted ours today. Oats will be a little more tolerant of the heat. We expect to graze them around thanksgiving. We will wait a couple of weeks to plant our ryegrass. Overall I think you will get better grazing for a longer period of time with ryegrass but we usually aren't able to turn in on the ryegrass until after the first of the year.

We've never planted rye, but both oats and ryegrass will slow their growth when it gets cold and rye is supposed to grow better at that time.

Latest posts