Planting new pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

SF

Reaction score
Looking to plant a new pasture in bermuda grass. I have had difficulty in the past getting a good stand. What planting methods have any of you used that offered success.

Irrigiation is not an option. Only water is rainfall only. Get about 35 to 45 inches per year. Located about 35 miles northeast of Dallas, Texas.

SF":zm93tjtt said:
Looking to plant a new pasture in bermuda grass. I have had difficulty in the past getting a good stand. What planting methods have any of you used that offered success.

Irrigiation is not an option. Only water is rainfall only. Get about 35 to 45 inches per year. Located about 35 miles northeast of Dallas, Texas.

Bermudagrass is a warm season grass (you already know that). Doesn't really germinate in N. Texas area until the April to June window (depending on "this year's" weather cycle...Texas ya know!).

Two methods: Direct seeding and Sprigging. Sprigging is best chance for planting coastal bermuda...best done before rain expected if possible.

If planting seed where there is any grass already there, can use a special drill (expensive) that overseeds in vegetation---cuts shallow "rows", seeds, packs soil.

With any pasture seeding, sometimes it helps to "overseed" (more than recommended) to better ensure a good stand.

Check with your Extension Service (or other professional) about soil testing & fertilization needs on pasture.

Thanks Bill. I guess I was hoping for some magical procedure that may exist that I haven't tried. Seeding has always been hit or miss for me. Mostly a miss. I'v e been looking at grass drills for the past several months. Very expensive. Need to be full time planting grass seed to afford one of them.

Thanks
Greg

SF":2haduvg9 said:
Thanks Bill. I guess I was hoping for some magical procedure that may exist that I haven't tried. Seeding has always been hit or miss for me. Mostly a miss. I'v e been looking at grass drills for the past several months. Very expensive. Need to be full time planting grass seed to afford one of them.

Thanks
Greg

w/bermuda, sprigging is probably your best option. depending on the variety, you can also plant "tops" & do ok. we usually do this in the fall.....early enough so they can get roots established & a little bit of growth before the first frost. then they're ready to take off in the spring. one of the main things is to have the ground good & ready (disked & fertilized) before planting.

you may want to check around to see if you can find someone who plants grass instead of doing it yourself. in our area it's pretty easy to find someone to plant sprigs.

Just ask around the local feed dealer, he should know someone who can sprig it for you. There several guys in my area who do that, not sure if they would go to your area, but if you dont have any luck, let me know. I am near Denton, bout 20 miles north of 635/35.

SF,IMO your best bet is to sprig.Much faster,but don't count on grazin' for at least 4 to 6 months. You will probably have to have the ground prepared.(fert. and disked) I had some Jiggs bermuda sprigged in March of last year and although i had plenty rain ,it still takes time to spread. It will cost anywhere between $50. & $100.per ac. Depending on who you get.The people that put mine in go all over the south.If you want to contact them ,PM me and i will give you their e-mail address. Have a nice day!

call the watson brothers in leonard, we were goin to use them to spray last year, but due to illness he couldn't, but....they might know of someone, or call the co-op in greenville, i bet they know someone or knows someone that knows someone :)

SF -- I had pretty good luck last year seeding into pasture that was previously bahia. I sprayed in May with Ally, 2,4-D, and Surfactant. Then I disked it twice with an old, light 8' IH Disk I bought at an auction for $550. Then I seeded with a three point seeder and fertilized. I'll need to Ally again this spring but I got a pretty good stand. Last June was pretty wet however.

I'm just a couple of hours NW of you just across the river from Clarksville.

Subsoil":24dj4g38 said:
SF -- ... Then I seeded with a three point seeder and fertilized...

Is your seeder a broadcast seeder? Did you drag it after you seeded to cover up the seed?
Thanks
Greg

There is a great article in the Feb. edition of The Cattlemen magazine concernig research of different grasses. You should be able to read it online. Just search for Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Assc.

Scotty

In the local Co-Op here where I live, I saw a sign with a picture of the drill for a local that would drill your seed for $12.00 per acre. With the price of fuel I wouldn't be suprised if his price has gone up. May be an option though. I also need to seed some pasture. With the price of seed I'm afraid to disc and broadcast spread that will not take as well as having it drilled.

Latest posts