Planting in rocky ground

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3v30wofl said:
boondocks":3v30wofl said:
No sympathy, all I grow is rocks. Fist sized is small. Every spring they sprout up, size of your head often. Bedrock is about an inch below the surface is places. Fun fencing
Dam, sounds like you are in the Ozarks!

Just outside the Adirondacks. Rocks galore, some fields more than others. It's sloped

I rent a rock rake from a local guy and windrow them as much as possible, then go with a rock bucket on the tractor or skid steer and load up the dump truck with as many of them as possible. Then offset disc what's left and prep/plant as usual. Then on newly cleared ground we have to do it again a few years later or the discbine does nothing but throw rocks at the tractor.

chevytaHOE5674":2bahsppt said:
I rent a rock rake from a local guy and windrow them as much as possible, then go with a rock bucket on the tractor or skid steer and load up the dump truck with as many of them as possible. Then offset disc what's left and prep/plant as usual. Then on newly cleared ground we have to do it again a few years later or the discbine does nothing but throw rocks at the tractor.
I call it a "rock make". Every pass turns up more rocks then it raked up

Thanks for the feed back. Seems like my thoughts were pretty in line with the professionals. Now I will give her the options and see where her budget takes us. Always amazed at what a real estate agent can sell as a good "farm" property. Not sure what baffles me more when they buy trees and rocks, or trees and swamp.

Latest posts