Planting hillside pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

raykleykamp

Reaction score
We are currently clearing more land for pasture. The land is steep eastern Kentucky hillside. What grasses would work best to prevent erosion and yet provide the best nutrition for the cattle and how long should we keep the cattle off of the new growth in order form a good stand of pasture?

Thank you,

Ray

JMO, I would really reconsider breaking it up at all if you're worried about erosion. Granted I don't know your area, but there are a multitude of ways to develop woodlands into pasture without the cost - or risk - of brushing and breaking. We've done different things in the past like fencing the woodlot and confining the cattle to it. You'd be surprised at how they'll brush it out for you, and pigs or goats will do a much better job. In time, with the right management, you'll have an abundance of grass with very little brush. Yeah it takes longer, but it can be done.

Like I said, JMHO.

I would clear it in strips if you are going to do it. And leave some patches of brush. You can spray the small patches later and drag 'em off. RyeGrass of anysort will grow very quickly. Hope this helps

Latest posts