Planting bermuda grass hay fields?

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I'm renovating a hay field and would like to seed it with a bermuda grass. Has anyone had any luck planting Cheyenne, Wrangler or Moray Bermuda grass seed as a hay field? I'd like to know your the results, thanks.

True Grit Farms":5eyqir9b said:
I'm renovating a hay field and would like to seed it with a bermuda grass. Has anyone had any luck planting Cheyenne, Wrangler or Moray Bermuda grass seed as a hay field? I'd like to know your the results, thanks.

I planted Cheyenne results not good.
I have had good luck with common or Red River crab grasses.
The Cheyenne didn't perform better than the common here.

I'm no authority for sure. But I'm hoping to be someday. I out out some Cheyenne and giant in a blend a last year ago. Both did very well but I really like the giant more. We only did a couple acres and haven't used it . So that might change. Had plans to expand it in a pretty big way this year.
If it doesn't start raining this year that might change.

The blends will revert to common in a few years. I plan to try some Cheyenne 2 this spring as it is better than common in the hay I got and in grazing I have seen. We liked giant here, too. But with the winters it has the life of an annual for us.

Ebenezer":2xxgu51i said:
The blends will revert to common in a few years. I plan to try some Cheyenne 2 this spring as it is better than common in the hay I got and in grazing I have seen. We liked giant here, too. But with the winters it has the life of an annual for us.

I agree it's just high priced common packaging that last about two years.
Instead of buying seed you would be money ahead buying N for your already present common.

Caustic Burno":256jse5x said:
Ebenezer":256jse5x said:

Instead of buying seed you would be money ahead buying N for your already present common.
I'm wanting growth applying fertilizer doesn't bother me in the least. I keep my pastures fertilized according to soil samples, that way IF it rains I make grass.

True Grit Farms":3ixnp4o8 said:
Caustic Burno":3ixnp4o8 said:
Ebenezer":3ixnp4o8 said:

I'm wanting growth applying fertilizer doesn't bother me in the least. I keep my pastures fertilized according to soil samples, that way IF it rains I make grass.

Around here that is the best way to redo a Bermuda stand. The kr bluestem doesn't respond much to fertilizer. The Bermuda will run it over if you feed it.

Have you lightly disced the field lately? That, fertilizer and not baling for a year really helped thicken mine up. Need to do it quickly before green up if you can.

Most of the folks i've talked to with seeded varieties weren't satisfied with their plantings, especially if they had experience with the hybrids. Not sure how much management, fertilizer inputs, or what type of soil you're dealing with, but if you own the land, I would consider Tifton 85 or Russell. Quality and quantity blow away the seeded varieties, if they get what they need. I believe it would be worth the price of sprigging, or if you can time it properly around rains, you could try and establish from tops. I've successfully established from tops, but you have to have the correct amount of moisture following the transfer. Of course you need moisture after sprigging too. I've heard Russell is more forgiving post sprigging than T85. I had irrigation, so you could say i cheated.