Planter ID needed

Help Support CattleToday:

thendrix

Reaction score
Can ya'll help me ID this planter? I pulled it out of the pasture where it has been sitting for 20 or so years I guess. Just wandering what it is. I am guessing a John Deere 71 but I want to know for sure

JD_planter_2.jpg

JD_planter_1.jpg

JD_planter_4.jpg

JD_planter_3.jpg

It might be a 71 , but it could also be a 24-b , if the planter is driven with roller chain it's probably a 71, if its driven with flat chain it's a 24-b

We had a 24-b in the mid 70's , it was used when we got it , so it could be from the 60's , the mounting for the fertilizer hopper looks similar to our 24-b . I also had 2 #71 units that we used for vegetables ( sweet corn , string beans ,peas ) the big difference was the drive , the 71 had more sprockets and a wider range of spacings.

This is a guess but am I correct in assuming there are not any companies that make replacment parts for these planters?

I work in a machine shop with CNC capabilities so things like sprockets, shafts, pins, bushings, and possibly seed plates, I can handle. Even a tool bar should be fairly simple. My main thing is sheet metal parts like the chain gaurd, seed can, and fertilizer hopper. There was a large-ish box laying next to this planter in the pasture when I found it that said John Deere on it (or used to) but it had laid there until it was a 3 1/2 sided box so I scrapped it. This is what I am assuming was a fertilizer hopper. Are there more seed cans or fertilizer hoppers out there that would fit this planter?

I tried there before and their pdf file came up as a bunch of jibberish. I'll try again and see if I can find a different result

If you are an auction person, eventually you will see a 6-8 row JD 7000 series planter. You can buy the whole thing for less that you will spend rebuilding the pictured planters. The 7000 is 40 yrs newer and better than what I see pictured. You can keep the 2 best units for your garden and have 4-6 units to sell. The 7000 series will do a much better job planting. You can rebuild the units. Parts are common. shoup.com

Latest posts