Plant ID- Help

Help Support CattleToday:

Ex1730

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this? We are located in the Finger Lakes area of NY. It seems to show up more heavily after first cutting. It's heaviest on the blow sand portion of our property and the sections that have less top soil.
Thank you for any help!

If you slide your hand from the bottom to the top does it feel slick? Looks like "grease grass" to me

We call it tickle grass here. I had it real bad in a pasture one year. I cut and baled it just to get it off the field and haven't had it come back. However, I sewed Common Bermuda and fed it good that may have choked it out. Not sure if it's unsuitable for grazing; never had it before.

What IS trying to get a foothold here is Yellow Nutsedge. I think I inherlted it from a neighbor's field....came back on my mower as he had it and I never had it before and now it's showing up everywhere.

M.Magis":33h7qmbb said:
Grease grass was my first thought as well.
What we call tickle grass is a lot finer and only grows about 6 inches tall. Until I figured that it looked taller then that I had thought tickle grass also. That's why I said to slide your hand on it. If it's greasy feeling it;s grease grass if it isn;t it probably is real healthy/robust tickle grass.

I didn't think it felt greasy so I had another person check also, they didn't think so either. Thank you for the replies!