Plan is...

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicklausjames

Reaction score
To inject la200 for pinkeye. Have a plan to trap the animal in a small pen and attemp medina hinge.

A few questions steer is about 800 lbs so I was thinking around 40 cc. Correct? Also if possible would use 4 different injection sites? And I jest subcutaneous? How close can the sites be to each other? Neck/shoulder is the best? Would really like to avoid having to inject in both sides, can I inject in one side?

Also, does one set of injections usually clear thing up or it takes more than one?

Finally do I need to worry about the cattle kicking or just its weight and being trampled?

I use either LA300 or Draxxon for Pinkeye but 40cc/LA200 for 800 lbs should be sufficient. Sub-Q on 1 side is fine, 10cc per injection site at least 2" apart in the triangle between neck & shoulder. Always read the label. One dose may or may not, depends on had badly injured/infected. Is the eye ulcerated or just cloudy/watery? If it's ulcerated with only LA200 you may need more than one treatment. I would suggest spraying the eye with Vetericyn when you work him & give him a good blast a couple times a day for a few days after. As far as potentially getting your a$$ kicked working an 800 lb steer - odds are good unless you have him restrained, even if he's dog gentle. Keep an eye out for him swinging his head & taking you out. Do you have a halter? We've successfully worked cattle in the pasture by tying the lead of the halter to the brush guard of a Polaris (or truck, tree, etc), preferably with the cow going down & the neck turned. Plan B is to use/get a dart gun (there's a current thread).

TCRanch i pretyy sure Nicklausjames said in earlier post he couldnt even get close to them ,he really shouldnt tie one like that to an ATV. had one break my nose swinging it head !when you pen it up in a confined area it will be nervious to begin with if you use a pipe gate between you an it make sure you have enough help 800 pds can crush up aginst somthing before you know it ! yea they will kick ect.. i have a question and im niot jokeing
have you ever been in a rodeo
yes if you can get a good !! halter on it an strong rope your going be better off ,more controll wrap rope good several tmies around somthing solid !work from front to bak restaining him dont ! dont try to come from behind ! seen halters break barn beams move ! solid oak boards break like twig just be carefull
you could always cal a vet that has a crush !

like i said in another post sent my collection of bent pipe gate to scrap yard.,good pair of glove holding that rope dont wrap rope around hands ,it will tighten up an break bones !

mooo":2a3a43tb said:
TCRanch i pretyy sure Nicklausjames said in earlier post he couldnt even get close to them ,he really shouldnt tie one like that to an ATV. had one break my nose swinging it head !when you pen it up in a confined area it will be nervious to begin with if you use a pipe gate between you an it make sure you have enough help 800 pds can crush up aginst somthing before you know it ! yea they will kick ect.. i have a question and im niot jokeing
have you ever been in a rodeo
yes if you can get a good !! halter on it an strong rope your going be better off ,more controll wrap rope good several tmies around somthing solid !work from front to bak restaining him dont ! dont try to come from behind ! seen halters break barn beams move ! solid oak boards break like twig just be carefull
you could always cal a vet that has a crush !

Didn't see his earlier post. Okay then, dart gun! Or somehow catch, load, take to the vet.

Yes well funny thing is after seeing how much dart gun costs I devised a plan to trap the animal. I have a small outbuilding for horses where the steers like to hangout. It has basically 2 stalls separated by 8x12s. I removed 2 of the lower 8x12s so the animal could fit its head threw. Now I'm just trying to think of a way to get its head stuck. I was also thinking of setting up a medina gate in the stall, so I could trap it long enough to stick it. Might also just revisit the gun issue.

O and by the way I would've preferred the draxxin but it seems a script is required. Is this correct?

Nicklausjames":2af9add8 said:
O and by the way I would've preferred the draxxin but it seems a script is required. Is this correct?

Yes, you need an RX for Draxxin but LA200 & 300 are over the counter as is Vetericyn. You may also want to start looking for used headgates on Craigslist or other local advertising. Dart guns and handling equipment/facilities can be expensive but your safety (and life) is worth it. If you haven't already established a relationship with a vet do you have a friend or neighbor that can help you?

Kingfisher another mans pain is not always another mans pleasure !no wait i got take that back .kind like the time in ag shop we were doing small engines told a boy i didnt think mine was getting spark as he took the spark plug wire from my hand an held it tightly i pulled the rope ! wished we woulda had videos in those days.
Nicklausjames you really should have some help at least some on to pick you up ! been there done that if nothing else at least get some salt in its eye somehow untill you can get help its old school but will help not cure all .if you can take empty soup bottle mix up wnough salt solution to the point most desolves but not all an get close enough to sqirt it in the eye it will help untill you get what you need

mooo":3kdes4xz said:
Kingfisher another mans pain is not always another mans pleasure !no wait i got take that back .kind like the time in ag shop we were doing small engines told a boy i didnt think mine was getting spark as he took the spark plug wire from my hand an held it tightly i pulled the rope ! wished we woulda had videos in those days.
Nicklausjames you really should have some help at least some on to pick you up ! been there done that if nothing else at least get some salt in its eye somehow untill you can get help its old school but will help not cure all .if you can take empty soup bottle mix up wnough salt solution to the point most desolves but not all an get close enough to sqirt it in the eye it will help untill you get what you need

Surely king just wanted the video for educational purposes.

Nicholas you've been given good advice.
Be careful.

Yea so after thinking about it I ponied up and got the pneudArt 178 b gun and 10 disposable darts. I figure the $350 is worth the hassle and if I got injured I or damaged my out shed it would probably cost more anyway.Plus who doesn't like shooting things Thx for the advice everyone.

Good luck and keep us posted! FWIW, and not to contradict others, but I do not recommend salt. A friend told me to use that old method when we were just starting out a few years' back (didn't have a chute and headgate yet, but soon got one, lesson learned). I took the "throw a handful of salt" advice, and it made the pinkeye much much worse. Dang near blinded the thing in both eyes and made her very skittish.

If you can get it, a squirt of penicillin/Pen G in the eye has helped ours (in addition to the LA, not instead of).

Good luck!

To clarify this if you throw d## hand full of salt in your eyes yea its going to scratch it boondocks common sense i said solution this means some type liquid form ,solid salt you might as well throw f*&(^%$ gravel in there eye !maybe i need to keep my trap shut from now on seen the post thought id try help oh well f i ! its been a long day for me an it aint over.

please accept my apologies on language in the last post, ,the salt solution will help slightly if done right ,sorry wont give anymore med advice , seen that go bad too many times one reason i really havent to this point ,but you do need a good vet to work with as my area large animal vets are hard to come by an the ones we have left are getting pricey most have gone to cats an dogs for the money including one of the best in area he always was high pricedthe reason a lot didnt use him but was good . horse well they made specialized field ota that nothing wrong with that but you will pay twice the price and take lot of verbal abuse on your horse facilities, pasture and hay ect...its like there ready to turn you over to human idiots . just because your place dont look like ky horse park, an lets clarify one other thing around her in my younger day most people hated to let neighbors see a vet pull in there drive way ,it would some how put panic in the back of everyones mind that your animals were sickly,so yea we used a lot things that didnt do an exterm amount of good but helped if caught early an done right.this board is good place ,an good people .
Nicklausjames good luck and if read there statements in beginers this is good place to get advice but dont ever be afraid to call a vet or more than one they have more than average education for a reason .and they may put you off for few days but they are busy and with this board most have more to do than sit by a computor i noticed your post that morning an got flash backs of younger days ,i was lucky in advice my father had seen a lot an done a lot. neighbors would wake us at 3 am mid feb. cow down calving ,oh yea 1/2 mile walk across hills of pasture just to cut out a dead calf to save save a cow.in the middle of a briar thicket.or to help with rupture an the list goes on ...and we never had a real handeling facility dad would always give advice ( now when he runs that cow around the cornerboys you three get your shoulders into her an push her up aginst that wall an dont let go untill i tell you ) i was afraid you were going to try that by yourself an get hurt !

Latest posts