Place to stop?

Help Support CattleToday:

jcissell

Reaction score
I am taking 2 mules out to Arizona for a friend of mine and I need somewhere to stop on the way. Is there anyone who can let me take the mules out of the trailer for a few hours somewhere near I-40 on the way to Arizona?

Thanks,

Josh

It might help someone to know where your coming from Josh.

heh sorry. I'm coming from Northeast Arkansas. I will be on I40 going west the entire trip until I get into AZ so anywhere that is near I-40 would be fine. How long can the mules be in the trailer before they have to be let out. Not NEED to be let out, but HAVE to be let out. If they can ride 24 hours I can make it without stopping.

Josh

They can make it as long as you can. When you have to stop then let them out. I don't mean for gas. I mean when you stop for a meal or to stretch your leggs let them out to rest for an hour , water them feed them clean the trailer then back in they go. Two mules for sister Sarah?

I remember hearing somewhere that some vet clinics are willing to board equines overnight on long hauls like that. Might want to check that option out.

We hauled a bull and heifer from a ways north of the WI Dells to south central Ohio. Close to a 14 hour trip with no problems. They just made a 12 hour trip from south west ND. Only leg streching they got was from one trailer to the next.

The typical run to Denver from here is 22 hours with the time changes. Cattle have room enough to lay down and a little hay in front of them and the truck only stops for fuel. All is fine when unloaded at the stock yards.

We stop every 5 to 6 hours, just lead ours 5 or 10 min. load'em and keep going.Rodeo friends of mine told me their horses ankles would swell if trailered to far all at one time. Asked a vet once about our mules,he said as long as you keep moving they would be okay for longer times. Came home once none stop 15 hours and could'nt see any signs of swelling.

TLCfromARK":2o40v4cj said:
When my brother hauls his mules to Colorado he stops to spend the night in Amarillo. They have a place ( horse motel?? ) where you can stable your animals and you get a room. I can't remember the name of the place but you might check the site below.

http://www.horsemotel.com/Texas.html

;-)

I just remembered, it's the The Big Texan Horse Motel that he stops at.

;-)

jcissell

Get in your truck and drive - hauled two Arab horses from Edmonton to Ottawa last summer - never let them out. Stopped when I needed fuel - kept them watered and fed. When I pulled over to sleep they stayed in the stock trailer.

Total time on board 36 hours.

They got off no worse for wear. 24 hours is not a long stretch. Just keep em watered.

Bez

We've hauled cattle between Tennessee and Ft. Worth, Texas-approximately 14 hours without taking them off the trailer and they have always been just fine.

I once hauled 2 mules and 3 horses from nw Alabama to NW idaho to go elk hunting. Best I remember it was something like a 36 hour drive. We would stop about every 5-6 hours and unload them. We walked them and gave water. We hung haybags in the trailer. We stabled them in Lincoln Nebraska going up. We rode them hard in the mountains for 2 weeks and then the long drive home. We stopped in Gillette Wy. and just let them stand tied to the outside of the trailer over night. One of them got loose and toured downtown but this is another story. Then we drove the rest of the way home stopping ever 5 -6 hours and walking them. They faired fairly well but they all lost a lot of weight. I have hunted out west several other times but havn't taken horses. I learned my lesson the first time. Your trip will not be a problem. You may want to walk them once during the trip. The bigger concern is cogins test and hauling papers. Make sure you have them or don't get checked or you will pay a fine. Any vet can do this for you.