Pistol Survey

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray":2tn9sc2z said:
HOSS":2tn9sc2z said:
I'll go along with the 1911 .45 auto. I have one made by Kimber that I would not part with for anything. I am going to be different on revolvers. I am partial to the Dan Wesson .44 mags. The older ones. I don't know if I have ever felt a smoother, more accurate wheel gun. They really fit my hand well.
Kimbers are a pretty gun, nicely machined, highly accurate and expensive. Unfortuneatley they are among the most un-reliable guns on the market. I have experience with a bunch of them and they are pretty consistently low on the reliability scale. You must have a good one. The ultra carrys are pretty good but the full sized guns are pieces of junk. I had a Kimber full sized high capacity and ended up having to trade it in on a GP 100. And I know I will get alot of critism for this statement but in general .45 ACP is acceptable at best for feeding reliability if you are concerned about self defense guns.

hayray, I have the Pro-Carry. Sort of in between the full size and ultra carry. I have had the opposite experience with Kimbers than you. Maybe I am lucky and you are unlucky when it comes to Kimbers :lol: I have never, ever, experienced a jam, failure to feed or a stove pipe with my Kimber or with any other Kimber that I have shot. I used to shoot a friends full size alot and loved it. I have probably 3,000 rounds through my current Kimber without a failure. It is one of those guns where you put the sights on the target and it seems to hit it by it's self. I would, and do, trust my life to it on a regular basis.

HOSS":1ttscdqc said:
hayray, I have the Pro-Carry. Sort of in between the full size and ultra carry. I have had the opposite experience with Kimbers than you. Maybe I am lucky and you are unlucky when it comes to Kimbers :lol: I have never, ever, experienced a jam, failure to feed or a stove pipe with my Kimber or with any other Kimber that I have shot. I used to shoot a friends full size alot and loved it. I have probably 3,000 rounds through my current Kimber without a failure. It is one of those guns where you put the sights on the target and it seems to hit it by it's self. I would, and do, trust my life to it on a regular basis.
I know a number of poeple with Kimbers that shoot them in IPSC and they don;t have any problems with them either. They run a thousand or more rounds a month through them with no problems. I wonder somtimes if it's a shooter/gun interface problem. LIke whoever it was that couln't get his PPk to function. Lugers are supposed to be jammers but of all of them I've had over the years (a half dozen or so in both 30 luger and 9mm) I've never had a bobble. My wife can;t shoot any semiauto including the S&W 22A or my AMT 22, but she has no problem with a 9mm or 40 S&W Firestar

Maybe they finally fixed the problem with them, they must of inorder to stay in business. I don't see many of them anymore. In Michigan about 10 years ago alot of people bought them and then promptly got rid of them so they pretty much have a bad reputation around here. A lot of gun shops stopped carrying them around here. Once you produce junk it is hard to get your reputation back even if what you produce now is a good product. I got rid of my Kimber 10 years ago. It used to be that when I talked to student on the phone that was coming to one of my classes and he told me he had a Kimber I would tell him to bring a back-up, and I was almost always right because their Kimbers never worked. Glad to hear they are working now, they sure got my $1000 back then so I will never give them another cent.

Most auto loader problems are magizine. I have seen problems with Kimbers as well I accounted for being as they are so tight on clearances the gun needed to broke in and in the hands of a pro. These are not for the occasinal shooter IMO and it needs to broken down and throughly cleaned after a day at the range until they were broke in.

This is a whole nuther playing field than a 1911 Government that was design to work in the absolute worst conditions. The Government is like a F-250 and the Kimber Mercedes.

All that cleaning and baby care doesn't work well for me. My guns get pretty dirty by the time I get around to cleaning them because I carry them on my hip all day like a knife and they get hay shaft and dirt on them, that is why I carry a wheel gun.

That is a interesting group of responses on that forum Dun. Looks about the same here. Some love them and had no problems and some a lot. I did send my Kimber back to Kimber 3 times. All that they did was clean it and shoot a magazine through it and if it works they box it back up and send it back to you, one time they polished the feed ramp.

My Kimber gets carried allot but I will admit I do not usually use it when working on the farm. I normally carry a S&W Mod. 19 Combat Magnum or my trusty AR-15 is in the truck. The Kimber feels so right in my hand, almost natural. It has been very reliable with both Kimber mags and the Chip McCormick mags that I bought as extras.

Kimbers are no different than any other 1911. What I see the most with someone that has a 1911 that fails to feed is the magazine. The 1911 has two style magazines. One is designed for a 230gr round nose bullet and the other is designed for semi wadcutter/target type of bullet. If trying to shoot a 230gr bullet in a magazine designed for a wadcutter bullet, the bullet usually hits the feed ramp before coming out of the magazine and sliding up under the extractor. Those that spent the extra money on a Kimber Match 1911 have the wadcutter style magazine that is designed for match ammunition. Look at the lips on top of the magazine where the ammo feeds out of. If they are a slow taper, thats a 230gr magazine designed for ball ammunition. If the lips are stepped that is a mazazine designed for target ammo (usually a shorter bullet).
Another problem is the shooters form. 1911's are a harder gun to shoot than most. Watch when someone is shooting and watch for their wrist to break when the gun recoils. 1911's wont function reliable when shooting with a bent elbow or breaking your wrist when the gun goes off.
Now that doesn't mean there aren't some pieces of junk 1911's out there. I've seen a few, mostly from foreign companies.

C.B. right on, the 1911 is one of the best.
Dun the browning is 2 nd choice
SSA 45 colt
Scolfield ? sp great gun they remade 2002?
Any of the snake guns by colt.

S.W. Model 66 round butt SS combat mag. in 2 in. barrel
SW model 60 5 shot 38, nice to put into your pocket
Nothing Modern although SW 40 is nice.

Black Coos":2qfpcru6 said:
C.B. right on, the 1911 is one of the best.
Dun the browning is 2 nd choice
SSA 45 colt
Scolfield ? sp great gun they remade 2002?
Any of the snake guns by colt.

S.W. Model 66 round butt SS combat mag. in 2 in. barrel
SW model 60 5 shot 38, nice to put into your pocket
Nothing Modern although SW 40 is nice.

After Rita is was SHTF over here, I had a real awakening. Desperate people that didn't know how to function without swiping a plastic card, had no clue how to obtain food if not purchased. You had evacuees from Katrina a month earlier in the area and Rita came in on top of that. It was about to get real nasty. Had national guard in front of the grocery stores that were selling can goods and the DPS at the gas station when it finally got power.
Everyone in your family should be able to shoot and tote.

After storms with infiltration of "possible" undesirables my wife and I would go together to get gas. One would pump gas and the other keeping watch with weapon at hand.
Never had any problems.

I vote for the 1911 .45. But it is hard to carry.
S&W .38 Chiefs special is a lot easier to carry. Just remember to instruct evil doer to turn sideways and be still so you can stick it in their ear.

Worst jam up I ever saw was in neighbors new Ruger .357. He brought it to me to help. Couldn't rotate the cylnder and couldn't get it out. I gave up because I didn't want to beat on his new gun with a sledge hammer. :bang:
He finally got it open and the culprit was a very small piece of trash under the extractor. So much for tight guns.

To tell the truth, there is a Pistol I have always coveted. It is a Sig Hammerli. One of the sweetest handling and shooting 22's I have ever shot.

Latest posts