Pistol Survey

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":hlh4g9sh said:
Ruger Single Six or Springfield XDM depending on the application.
I sure like my Ruger single six with western gun belt, wear it every day. I am also a fan of the 1911, mine is Sig Signature Shop series. Also really like the new Sig P-238, I never leave home without it.

Caustic Burno":1du1mog4 said:
Informal survey on what you think the best every made is.

My vote has to go to 1911 A1

I'll add my vote to that. Bought mine in '65, looks like hel on the outside but wonderful gun.

For a revolver the Colt Anaconda in big bores, small bores the Colt Python

I'll go along with the 1911 .45 auto. I have one made by Kimber that I would not part with for anything. I am going to be different on revolvers. I am partial to the Dan Wesson .44 mags. The older ones. I don't know if I have ever felt a smoother, more accurate wheel gun. They really fit my hand well.

I am going with Dun on this one and agreeing with Browning High Power.

I also had a S&W model 29 44 mag that I packed in Alaska which I was mighty fond of.

I'm going to have to go along with the M1911 45 auto.This handgun was designed for a fighting weapon,not a weapon to avoid product liability lawsuits.Has a military service record of over 74 yrs with little modification.
I packed on in the jungles where over half the time it was exposed to water,mud,and dirt and have never had one to misfire.
But having said all this,I am really a wheelgun man,and I do prefer my 45 long colt double action revolver.
But either one for me would not be a good gun to try to carry as a concealed hand gun since I way in at about 140 lbs. :lol2:

Cal

HOSS":le08zefh said:
I'll go along with the 1911 .45 auto. I have one made by Kimber that I would not part with for anything. I am going to be different on revolvers. I am partial to the Dan Wesson .44 mags. The older ones. I don't know if I have ever felt a smoother, more accurate wheel gun. They really fit my hand well.
Kimbers are a pretty gun, nicely machined, highly accurate and expensive. Unfortuneatley they are among the most un-reliable guns on the market. I have experience with a bunch of them and they are pretty consistently low on the reliability scale. You must have a good one. The ultra carrys are pretty good but the full sized guns are pieces of junk. I had a Kimber full sized high capacity and ended up having to trade it in on a GP 100. And I know I will get alot of critism for this statement but in general .45 ACP is acceptable at best for feeding reliability if you are concerned about self defense guns.

Cal the reason I picked the 1911 Guvmint Mil spec is they are reliable and not manufactured to the tight tolerances of the Kimbers. You can drop them in the mud pick it up and continue shooting. Browning designed them to have some slop so they would continue to work dirty or abused.

This is also the most versitile pistol ever made for 65 bucks for a barrel recoil spring and clip I can convert it to shoot 9mm,10mm, 40 cal, and 380 super taking five minutes to convert.
I have kept the same frame and platform I am comfortable shooting.

One of the best buy's today is a Rock Island Armoy Mil Spec 1911 for around 400 dollars, they are made of 4140 steel completely 100% parts compatiable with a colt mil spec. You can buy an entry level 1911 and trick it out to your hearts desire.

I can't decide so I have a half dozen.

I guess My fav is my ruger 44 mag. Just because it is a big honking revolver. I carry a 357 revolver or the judge.

I prefer revolvers over autos but have a 9mm auto.

Your right Caustic, the Kimbers with the modern machining practices are just too tigtht. The .45 acp just is too short and fat of a cartridge for those competition type tolerances.

Latest posts