Pipe Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it is safe to use carbon steel pipe to make a cattle feeder. Not any pipe that was used in a chemical, refinery process.

I have seen many bunk feeders and long water troughes made of pipe. I have no idea if it was high carbon or not, but cannot see where that should make any difference. People use high carbon steel in machine shops daily, milling it into different parts. I do not see the dust and particles from it killing people any faster than normal steel.
My bar-b-que grill is made of high carbon steel grid from a gravel screen. Been useing it for 26yrs. not dead yet.

I just am not sure if it would be good for them to be licking the carbon steel getting to their feed. I believe a feeder made out of 1/2 of a 24 inch pipe would last a long time and they wouldn't be able to tear it up. I was going to make it wide enough that they could flip it over and about 16 feet long. That away I could also be able to pill it around the place when I needed to. Any thoughts ??????????

garseer":18simkas said:
I just am not sure if it would be good for them to be licking the carbon steel getting to their feed. I believe a feeder made out of 1/2 of a 24 inch pipe would last a long time and they wouldn't be able to tear it up. I was going to make it wide enough that they could flip it over and about 16 feet long. That away I could also be able to pill it around the place when I needed to. Any thoughts ??????????

It might rust if not used all the time. so what? Maybe they'll get a little more iron in their diet. If the idea of them eating out of it cfauses ou concern, paint it.

garseer":3l014ci5 said:

How do you know it is high carbon? Most pipe is not. High carbon steel is normally used as tool steel because of its hardness, drill bits, chisels, files, etc. It is first formed into whatever and then has to be heat treated. It would be very unusual for them to do this on pipe as this type of steel is also very brittle.

Regardless unless they are biteing off big chunks and getting hardware I would agree with Dun. Don't worry about it.

I have seen my cattle lick ash piles before, which I would think has plenty of carbon, and it has never hurt them.

Never said High Carbon only Carbon Steel. I think you are right though. I don't believe they would get enough to bother them. I know they want tear it up when I get it finished. I will post it here when I get it finished for you to see.

Thanks

i use concrete mixer chutes when the tabs break off. alumium or steel. i weld em together cuz they dont hafta fold anymore and the cows aint died?? guess im gold huh

garseer":bir7q2z1 said:
Never said High Carbon only Carbon Steel. I think you are right though. I don't believe they would get enough to bother them. I know they want tear it up when I get it finished. I will post it here when I get it finished for you to see.

Thanks

All steel is carbon steel. examples, 1010 cold roll, 1010 hot roll, 1017 etc. The last two digits indicate the carbon content. The higher the number the more carbon and more money to buy it. Machining and forming characteristics also change. I wouldn't worry one minute about the cows eating from it. Matter of fact we would be healthier if we ate our food cooked in cast iron cookware more.

Latest posts