Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
Are white faced cattle with white directly around the eye (like Herfs) all that more susceptible to pink eye than breeds with solid colored faces? Isn't it the dark pigmentation of the skin that makes a difference with this... so black baldies and brafords have less of a chance of getting it than pure Herfs (or charlais for that matter)?

I think you are confusing pinkeye and cancer eye. All breeds are susceptible to pinkeye as it is often caused by an irritation to the eye.
Your thinking on the lack of pigmentation around the eyes can lead to cancer eye.

I think there was some research done on the amount and type of eyebrows cattle had in relation to their susceptability to pinkeye. Heavy eyelashes were less prone I think. Don't know many who would go to this extreme of hair splitting to prevent pink eye though.

brihop":6vn88y89 said:
Are white faced cattle with white directly around the eye (like Herfs) all that more susceptible to pink eye than breeds with solid colored faces? Isn't it the dark pigmentation of the skin that makes a difference with this... so black baldies and brafords have less of a chance of getting it than pure Herfs (or charlais for that matter)?

Pinkeye is a fly problem caused in all breeds from piss poor management. I have seen way more dark cattle with pinkeye than I have ever seen white face. Now I have only seen cancer eye a couple time's in dark cattle versus white face.

As far as I'm aware pinkeye is caused by bacteria in soil. Scratches to the eye from hay, grass seeds etc. let the bacteria into the eye.

Caustic Burno":239mqabv said:
...Pinkeye is a fly problem caused in all breeds from be nice poor management. I have seen way more dark cattle with pinkeye than I have ever seen white face. Now I have only seen cancer eye a couple time's in dark cattle versus white face.

True. The flies walk around on the manure and nasty stuff, then congregate at the corner of the animal's eyes. They carry the germs on their feet.

C.B. black cows have more flies than any other color. So it would be correct that black cows could have more pinkeye problems. That being said we have all black cows and no pinkeye problems. I think mineral or the lack of free choice minerals contributes alot to pinkeye problems. When you see flys on your cows they need spraying, most pinkeye problems can be avoided if you work at it.

highgrit":1sm6c368 said:
C.B. black cows have more flies than any other color. So it would be correct that black cows could have more pinkeye problems. That being said we have all black cows and no pinkeye problems. I think mineral or the lack of free choice minerals contributes alot to pinkeye problems. When you see flys on your cows they need spraying, most pinkeye problems can be avoided if you work at it.

From Merck
The disease usually is acute and tends to spread rapidly. One or both eyes may be affected. In cattle, dry, dusty environmental conditions; shipping stress; bright sunlight; and irritants such as pollens, grasses, and flies tend to predispose to or exacerbate the disease. Flies also serve as vectors. In all species, young animals are affected most frequently, but animals of any age are susceptible. The initial signs are photophobia, blepharospasm, and epiphora; later, the ocular discharge may become mucopurulent. Conjunctivitis, with or without varying degrees of keratitis, is always present. In sheep and goats, concurrent polyarthritis may be present. In goats, mammary gland and uterine infection may also occur simultaneously with keratoconjunctivitis. Appetite may be depressed due to ocular discomfort or visual disturbance that results in inability to locate food. The clinical course varies from a few days to several weeks unless complicated by other diseases.

i think that is the reason they started breeding for more pigment around the eye. breeds with more hood over the eye are less prone to pinkeye too. their are more ultraviolat rays hitting the earth these days & i believe they cause much more pinkeye in cattle . some cattle of all breeds have more built in resistence & never get pinkeye. around here they say if you see a cow with poor eyes & feet it is a hereford

jerry27150":19msdzu6 said:
i think that is the reason they started breeding for more pigment around the eye. breeds with more hood over the eye are less prone to pinkeye too. their are more ultraviolat rays hitting the earth these days & i believe they cause much more pinkeye in cattle . some cattle of all breeds have more built in resistence & never get pinkeye. around here they say if you see a cow with poor eyes & feet it is a hereford

I seen thousands of cows go through our salebarn this year from Mo. and hundreds of them had pinkeye.
90% were black cows.

highgrit":3w0zwfck said:
working at it on our place includes a vaccination program - haven't had a case since we've been vaccinating; it does seem to me that animals with no pigmentation aroung the eye are more prone to pinkeye.

highgrit":2445cr0o said:
working at it on our place includes a vaccination program - haven't had a case since we've been vaccinating; it does seem to me that animals with no pigmentation aroung the eye are more prone to pinkeye.

tsmaxx47":1v75djzl said:
highgrit":1v75djzl said:

It is easier to a see that watery eye on a white face cow.
Pinkeye is a management problem it is that simple. It doesn't mater what color the cow.

Latest posts