Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
More whining than asking advice but we have had more problems last year and this year than ever before. Cfpinz can attest to our troubles as he saw several cases when he was here this week. You can go check cattle pull a couple calves in to treat and three days later have another set affected. With all the moisture we've had it's almost impossible to control the flies this year and I'm going to blame a lot of it on the face flies. Just an awful pain when your fighting a losing battle against sore eyed cattle.

Jake":18ud5c61 said:
More whining than asking advice but we have had more problems last year and this year than ever before. Cfpinz can attest to our troubles as he saw several cases when he was here this week. You can go check cattle pull a couple calves in to treat and three days later have another set affected. With all the moisture we've had it's almost impossible to control the flies this year and I'm going to blame a lot of it on the face flies. Just an awful pain when your fighting a losing battle against sore eyed cattle.
Jake-

There is a product that should help greatly! It is called "Vetericyn". Go online and check it out.

www.vetericyn.com

DOC HARRIS

We have fly mineral out, vaccinated, and have sprayed for flies when we rotate pastures. Sounds like there are a lot of problems around the area this year so at least we aren't the only ones fighting it.

Doc- looks like an ok drug if the cattle were readily accessible on a daily basis while affected but where I have to just catch the calf load him on antibiotics and kick him back to mom I don't know how useful it would be.

Seems like prevention is the key that so many of us around here are having problems with this year.

Jake":3vwen06w said:
We have fly mineral out, vaccinated, and have sprayed for flies when we rotate pastures. Sounds like there are a lot of problems around the area this year so at least we aren't the only ones fighting it.

Doc- looks like an ok drug if the cattle were readily accessible on a daily basis while affected but where I have to just catch the calf load him on antibiotics and kick him back to mom I don't know how useful it would be.

Seems like prevention is the key that so many of us around here are having problems with this year.
Jake-
Hey, take it from me. Give it a try! You will kick yourself around the back 40 if you don't!

DOC HARRIS

Just try spraying lightly over the back with some Ivomec mixed in diesel with a touch of crankcase oil to make it stick and shed rain. If it still gets washed off then up the crankcase oil.

Before we had nearly 100% pinkete in the calves on one set of pastures. For several years now we have only had to doctor 1 or 2 light cases each year. You will not believe how fast it kills the flies. They don't even fly off of the animal they just die right there.

Pinkeye has been really bad around here this year. We have had several case, lost count and would have to look at my records to be sure how many. Vets in this area have sent off some cultures and one of the strains is normally only found in sheep. Vaccines only cover one strain and there are 5 strains of the bovine version. We have vaccinated for several years for it, feel like I just as well poured it on the ground this year.

Jake":3puzsue0 said:

Do you have a cattle rub up so they can use it? This really helps as long as you keep it charged or soaked or whatever you call it. Mineral change might have something to do with it to.

I agree about the rub. With all the rain we have been getting I need to charge it up about weekly but it does work especially with the hanging pieces to cover the face. After awhile the cattle figure it out and will come stand under it. Just put it up very securely. Jim

Vaccine works sometimes.
Rubs are good but pouring is better.
Always add organic iodine to your mineral mix. I buy it in 25# pails.
Stress is a huge factor. With stockers you can feed your way out of it.
Good luck.

Haven't put them out this year because it's so dry there's very few flies, but we use these most years:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079d6-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e079d7-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5

I don't recall seeing anywhere you could make the cows funnel thru in order to make sure they get covered on a regular basis, though. Good luck with your prevention/treatment, I can only imagine what a pain it is to gather and treat them in your situation.

Latest posts