Are beefmasters resistant to pinkeye?

Help Support CattleToday:

loganfos

Reaction score
I would like to hear opinions regarding pinkeye resistence in beefmasters vs. red angus. I purchased a polled hereford herd last fall( emotion got the better of me). They are nice cows, but I am having lots of pinkeye. These cattle are on clipped pastures and are on a compete mineral program. I am considerind working in some beefmaster or red angus blood into them. I want to keep the red color in them. My experience in the past has been with mixed breed commercial cows. I have never had such a problem with pinkeye and sore hooves.

beefmasters are not completely resistant to pinkeye but they seldom get it. how is the fly situation?

loganfos":2twazh49 said:
I would like to hear opinions regarding pinkeye resistence in beefmasters vs. red angus. I purchased a polled hereford herd last fall( emotion got the better of me). They are nice cows, but I am having lots of pinkeye. These cattle are on clipped pastures and are on a compete mineral program. I am considerind working in some beefmaster or red angus blood into them. I want to keep the red color in them. My experience in the past has been with mixed breed commercial cows. I have never had such a problem with pinkeye and sore hooves.

Pinkeye is a management issue not a breed contol your flies.

Plenty of flies. I am treating these cattle no different than I did my crossbred cows in the past, but i am having much more problems.

Fly's build resistance to Insecticides over a period of time - quickly! A program of fly control using multiple methods - Minerals with fly control included to prevent the larvae from developing in the first place, plus ear tags plus dipping or rubs - any and all methods of fly control will help the proliferation of conjunctivitis from getting out of hand. Rotate different types frequently to prevent fly's from developing resistance to any of the chemicals. It should be an important part of your management protocols. Absolutely imperative!

DOC HARRIS

To: Caustic Burno and Doc Harris
Are you all saying there is no difference in breeds regarding susceptability to pinkeye? I would think this problem could be greatly reduced with genetics and selection. I am interested in your opinions. Thanks for your replies.

loganfos":3pamdgt2 said:
To: Caustic Burno and Doc Harris
Are you all saying there is no difference in breeds regarding susceptability to pinkeye? I would think this problem could be greatly reduced with genetics and selection. I am interested in your opinions. Thanks for your replies.

genetics do play a role, but it's more a case of what type of eyeset, eyelashes and eyebanks the animal inherited from its parents than simply a breed or family thing. Poor eyes will be more susceptible to pink eye than good eyes, regardless of breed. However beefmaster traditionally has better eyeset than most herefords.

There is a thread on hereford eyeset that cover these traits.

I do believe that genetics play a role in pinkeye resistance. Herefords seem to have low resistance to it more so than some other breeds or at least in my experience with them. I don't think that the Brahman types get it as bad or as often. Our Beefmaster cattle rarely if ever have it. Pigmentation around the eyes also seems to help alot. Controlling the flies as much as possible is important of course.

that's the thing about the brahman influenced cattle the secretion. and the ability to shake their hide and flap their ears over the eye's like swats. ive seen them cover their eyes with those ears like goggles

ALACOWMAN":3vs99mk5 said:
that's the thing about the brahman influenced cattle the secretion. and the ability to shake their hide and flap their ears over the eye's like swats. ive seen them cover their eyes with those ears like goggles
:lol:

I wonder if they walk around like that if they would trip on things. Boy would I really like to see that!