Pinkeye

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
With all the talk of eyes and pinkeye. What is everyones thought on this?

I really think pinkeye is a management problem. I have had very few cases of pinkeye since 2004. I can count them on one hand.

JHH":21kx0a1i said:

I really think pinkeye is a management problem. I have had very few cases of pinkeye since 2004. I can count them on one hand.
I used to think the same way, don;t think so any longer. It's one of those could be cases but not always

JHH":1z0by2vx said:

I agree.

I suppose eye set and pigment is more important when it comes to eye cancer than when it is about pink eye?
Pink eye seem to get to pigmented cattle too.

Eyeset, eyebrows and lashes play a bigger role in preventing pink eye than any other factor.

I've not had pinkeye in 10 years. 6 cases this year. Same cattle. Same fields. Same mineral. Same mgmt practices. Same vaccines. Same . . . .

Several years ago I had two cows that got pink eye, they both recovered without any permanent damage. This summer I had several cases, bull is blinded in one eye, the cows have recovered after medication, got one calf that had it in both eyes. He was blind as a bat for a while, ran into fences and would fall over the hill. His mom didn't get pinkeye. First time I ever had a calf to get pinkeye. My cattle are pretty much closed group, don't buy from cattle barns only from neighbors who raise their own calves. I think it had to do with the heat, face flies and a neighbor who buys stockers from the stock sale. :?:

Fred

angus9259":33gs5dg3 said:
I've not had pinkeye in 10 years. 6 cases this year. Same cattle. Same fields. Same mineral. Same mgmt practices. Same vaccines. Same . . . .

It is hard for me to believe it is not management. When I run my cows next to my neighbors who has angus who has cases of pinkeye every year. He even ask me how come I didnt get pinkeye in my cows. I can say I have had a few cases just not like the other guys who have black cows.

My friend who raises angus has ask me several times how come your cows ( that are hereford and supposed to have bad eyes, I hear it all the time) dont have pinkeye like my black cows do this year.

I have a backrubber up and worm twice a year? I cant see any difference other than the backrubber. He uses the same mineral as I do so that is not it. Luck??? If it is Luck then it is the only thing I am lucky at. I can tell you that most of my cows have poor eyeset and lashes. That cow that I posted on the other thread with the 943 calf has bug eyes and bad lashes.

I dont vaccante for pinkeye in calves?

angus9259":51yo9vzd said:

Maybe it is time to update your management practices.

JHH":2r6bcar3 said:
angus9259":2r6bcar3 said:

It is hard for me to believe it is not management. When I run my cows next to my neighbors who has angus who has cases of pinkeye every year. He even ask me how come I didnt get pinkeye in my cows. I can say I have had a few cases just not like the other guys who have black cows.

My friend who raises angus has ask me several times how come your cows ( that are hereford and supposed to have bad eyes, I hear it all the time) dont have pinkeye like my black cows do this year.

I have a backrubber up and worm twice a year? I cant see any difference other than the backrubber. He uses the same mineral as I do so that is not it. Luck??? If it is Luck then it is the only thing I am lucky at. I can tell you that most of my cows have poor eyeset and lashes. That cow that I posted on the other thread with the 943 calf has bug eyes and bad lashes.

I dont vaccante for pinkeye in calves?
Talking to the vet aout it it seems there was a real problem with pinkeye in about a 25 mile square area this year. The only difference is the dry so that the grass was more stuble and the eyes got scratched a lot more hten usual. We only had a couple but they seemed to be almost impervious to treatment. A neighbor that keeps his pastures grazed almost to the dirt didn;t have any porblems and he doesn;t do anything for fly control. Cows and calves look like crap but he didn;t have pinkeye.

The only difference is the dry so that the grass was more stuble and the eyes got scratched a lot more hten usual.

Hence the reason to select for hooded protected eyes.

alexfarms":3vd9a84m said:
angus9259":3vd9a84m said:

this spring and early summer was a bad viral pinkeye year around here, if some were gonna get it this would have been the year.... although eyeset is a big factor the flies were murder

alexfarms":34gtlah7 said:
angus9259":34gtlah7 said:

Yeah . . . because everything just went completely out of date on one year. I guess I missed the memo.

I would say that if you are looking for differences, the differences are from Mother Nature. The temps can be different. The plants can be different in abundance. The amount of dust can be different and the amount of insects can be different. So may need a change in management practices. JMHO.

angus9259":lof1mtrx said:
alexfarms":lof1mtrx said:
angus9259":lof1mtrx said:

Yeah . . . because everything just went completely out of date on one year. I guess I missed the memo.

I haven't had problems in recent years. The years I did have problems was when someone's cattle got in with mine or a neighbor's cattle had a big outbreak. It seems like it had to be introduced in some way for it to really get going.

We had not had any for over 9 years until this year. There were outbreaks everywhere around here, some of the best managed farms had it along with ones that just turn cows out and let them fend for themselves. Ours are vaccinated every spring, feed fly mineral, keep up fly rubs and spray them. We still got it, the vets sent cultures off and it was a strain not normally seen in cattle so the normal vaccine was useless. I wish I knew what I could have done differently to prevent it for some of my best cows and bull got it. Nothing I was going to cull this year got it or the older cows, so it mkaes you wonder if they had a resistance. I probably could have done more spraying but otherwise I don't know how I could have managed much better.

Neighbor runs black angus, and Simm-Angus... a lot of eye patches this year (versus only 1 or 2 last year) that I noticed.

We had 1 that I thought might be pinkeye and when we brought it in for a closer look it was a sticker in his eye... knock on wood, love the Beefmaster disease tolerances.

angus9259":14df6ky4 said:
...same flies?

Latest posts