pinkeye ??

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
in all my years i can't remember if i ever had a calf with pinkeye. the only place i have seen pinkeye is at the sale barn. guess i have been lucky.

anyway.. i have a 600# steer that has a cloudy eye and i caught him up to treat him for pinkeye. my question is, there is a bright red blood ring around the cloudy part of his eye. is this consistent with pinkeye or do you think he may have poked his eye with something?

thanks

jt

The blood ring is consistent with pinkeye. The worst one I ever saw was almost a flourescent orange color. Needs to be treated asap.

thanks grannysoo. i pumped him full of la 200 this morning. may not be the best, but that was all i had at the moment and didnt want to leave him any longer. was a suprise to me to find him that way, because that is a problem i just have not had to deal with.

jt

DavisBeefmasters":3lxderww said:
Was the cloudy part off center of the eye? or was it in the center of the eye?

pretty much centered.

jt

jt":3k0v9v2i said:
DavisBeefmasters":3k0v9v2i said:
Was the cloudy part off center of the eye? or was it in the center of the eye?

pretty much centered.

jt
Centered would be pinkeye, off center would be (probably) IBR

jt":ny3gnbmo said:
thanks grannysoo. i pumped him full of la 200 this morning. may not be the best, but that was all i had at the moment and didnt want to leave him any longer. was a suprise to me to find him that way, because that is a problem i just have not had to deal with.

jt

LA 200 is really effective for pinkeye as it is secreted in the tears. The ulcer you describe may become a scar and the animal will have a permanent blemish. You could also glue a patch over the affected eye if the sunlight is bothering it. If the eye has stopped tearing and squinting, it's pretty much healed. Watch your other cattle in the herd as pinkeye is contagious and spread by flies.

jt":197q7xmq said:
in all my years i can't remember if i ever had a calf with pinkeye. the only place i have seen pinkeye is at the sale barn. guess i have been lucky.

anyway.. i have a 600# steer that has a cloudy eye and i caught him up to treat him for pinkeye. my question is, there is a bright red blood ring around the cloudy part of his eye. is this consistent with pinkeye or do you think he may have poked his eye with something?

thanks

jt

It is that is from where its swelling and the blood vessels either got inflamed or burst. Its okay and will clear up. Best treatment Ive found for pinkeye is LA 200 or LA 300 and dexamethasone to relive the swelling. Usually one treatment like that will clear up even bad cases. Sometimes if its real bad I will give a shot of la 200 or 300 and then draw about 10 cc up in a syringe take the needle out and squirt it directly in the eye.

backhoeboogie":bxceey7r said:
3 cc of pen in top of the eye lid (along with the LA200) will help.

3cc of pen in top of eye lid is old school treatment that rarely works anymore I have found. Now my vet said you can give the la 200 or la 300 and then give a 1cc shot of dex in the eye lid.

S&WSigma40VEShooter":3qj7amzh said:
backhoeboogie":3qj7amzh said:
3 cc of pen in top of the eye lid (along with the LA200) will help.

3cc of pen in top of eye lid is old school treatment that rarely works anymore I have found. Now my vet said you can give the la 200 or la 300 and then give a 1cc shot of dex in the eye lid.

I like my vet better than yours. He is likely as old school as many of us indeed. I wonder why he is head of all these vet organizations?

Whatever you decide to do I'd recommend patching the eye to keep dust, sunlight, and other irritants away from the treated eye as well as to keep the infected animal from exposing others.

Discussing pinkeye in our nutrition class yesterday... apparently vitamin A deficiency can have similar symptoms as pinkeye.

preston39":4mz9ykpi said:
Our Vet. tells us to avoid the patch. Many have been seen with maggotts(sp?) a few days later.

Anyone seen that?

Never seen magots on an eye that had been treated and patched. Magots eat rotting flesh only.

tncattle467":32ad3scd said:
Do not know but my vet has been practicing large animal medicine for around 40 years or so. I cannot say how long sigmas has been practicing or yours backhoe. However, I can say that my vet here has told me the same thing that sigmas told him. There is a resistance here (TN) to pen and there are alot of bugs including pinkeye that it just wont kill anymore. The old school treatment was 3cc in eye lid and turn em out but that doesnt work here anymore. That is how I treated my herefords and beef masters and angus years ago but it just doesnt work anymore.

Not debating that pen alone won't do it. Just stated that the pen (along with the la200) expedites cure.

jt":2jdn4szo said:

thanks

jt

don't waste time, it should be treated right away before it gets worst...
how is your steer now?

demco25":3josaf2a said:
jt":3josaf2a said:

thanks

jt

don't waste time, it should be treated right away before it gets worst...
how is your steer now?

have been away from the computer for awhile, but the steer is getting better. he is still not cured though. gave him another shot of la200 yesterday.

jt

LA200 is still the best treatment for pinkeye. But, we also squirt mastitis treatment into the eye (like Today) and put a patch on it. Never treated twice.
We cut a patch from old jeans. Only glue the top half, so the bottom is open. We cut about a 6" square then round off two corners. Put the pointed part up & glue down both straight sides.

Latest posts