Pink Eye maybe?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I checked my cows this morning and one of my steers, that weighs around 400 lbs, is starting to get a blue haze around both eyes. Is this the start of pink eye, and if so what could I do for it? I called this morning to get the vet to come out, but he hasn't called me back.

Thanks for your help,
Phil

Any watering? Haze in the dark part of the eye? Sounds like it may be and it won't hurt to squirt some la200 or la300 into the eye( no needle of course)

Hook - Here is a little background on this steer. I bought two steers and a heifer at a sale barn, picked them up at the sale barn and took them straight to the vet. The 600 lb. steer ended up having pink eye. I told the vet to give them whatever shots they needed. He even gave the one with pink eye a shot in the eye. He said to keep them pinned up for two weeks, I kept them pinned up for 3. I thought everything was good, so I let the 600 lb. steer go into the pasture. The 400 lb. steer and heifer I planned on keeping pinned up and feeding them out and taking them to the butcher. It has been 5 weeks now and this morning when I got up is when I noticed the problem with the 400 lb. steer. So now I am confused on the la200 or la300 that you suggested. When I called Atwood's and Tractor Supply they both said that that has to be injected not squirted. Also his eyes are not watering now but you can see where it has been running down both sides of his face from his eyes. I checked on the rest of the cows, the 600 lb. steer that I let out of the pasture, looks like he is starting to get it in his right eye. When I bought him it was in his left. I am going to go feed him and put him back in the pen. Now the big question, do I need to treat the rest of the cows that I have in the pasture. I take them to the vet in May and Oct. and the vet gives them all their shots. Would that be enough to keep the pink eye from spreading to the rest of the herd. Thanks for your help, Phil.

Tractor supply people usually don't know squat. Squirt it In the eye and inject sub q. Sure sounds like pink eye to me

Also only treat as needed. No use wasting money on animals that don't have it and over using antibiotics

Don't know how many you are dealing with but I had an outbreak in a group I bought. I noticed it in two calves so I penned them all then gave a shot of LA200 to all in hopes this would serve as some prevention of spread. I then just worked on the two with obvious symptoms and after two more healthy doses I got them turning around then I had one more come down with it in the other group. She was a wild thing and I had trouble penning her so I resorted to a dart gun for her other treatments. It was aggrevating but if you stay on top of it quickly its not that bad to deal with. I would suggest keeping them out of tall grass till its curbed completely and possibly trying some fly control.

Hook - I am going to Tractor Supply to buy some la300 so I have it here on sight. I am confused, do I squirt it in the eye, if so how much and what do I use to squirt it in the eye with? Or do I do like Jogeephus says and give them a shot?

Jogeephus - Here at the house I have 3 cows, 4 steers and 5 heifers and for fly control I have fly tags on them.

I thought the 3 that I bought at the sale barn after the first two weeks would be out of the woods as far as their health. I thought the medicine that they were given should have prevented the problem that I am having now. Thanks, Phil

Squirt some in the eyes using a syringe without a needle on those that are showing symptoms maybe 5 cc eye, and inject those also.
The rest I would keep an eye on. But you could also treat them with a injection if you feel it's prudent. Up to you. Jogee knows more than I do though.

Pink eye is spread by flys the best prevention is fly control and depending what on what type of grass you have a good brush hogging to keep stems and seeds from iratating there eyes. I have tried vacs for prevention over the years and in my opertion they been a wast of money. After you treat the steer i wouldent worry about keeping him pened

Remember that once you use antibiotics there is a withdrawal time before you can butcher. Should say on the bottle or insert the how long you have to wait before you can use the meat or milk.
Nite Hawk

As I see it you have the infection out there and the only way to stop it is to reduce any eye irritation they may be having of course this could even be caused by dust. You also need to curb the weepers. As I understand it this is where the flies or whatever pick up the pathogen and spread it. Also, just because you may not see it yet doesn't mean they may not have it already. Stuff is kinda sneaky but the good thing is its easily treated unless you get the odd strain we got a few years ago that was resistant to a lot of medications. Just treat diligently and be patient and you will be alright. Good luck.

SPJRanch":30krqp0s said:
Hook - I am going to Tractor Supply to buy some la300 so I have it here on sight. I am confused, do I squirt it in the eye, if so how much and what do I use to squirt it in the eye with? Or do I do like Jogeephus says and give them a shot?

Jogeephus - Here at the house I have 3 cows, 4 steers and 5 heifers and for fly control I have fly tags on them.

I thought the 3 that I bought at the sale barn after the first two weeks would be out of the woods as far as their health. I thought the medicine that they were given should have prevented the problem that I am having now. Thanks, Phil

I've been real lucky in regard to pinkeye here for years. Hope I don't jinx myself in responding. I think whatever medication you choose should be injected. I've squirted in the eye in the past and found they will just tear it pretty quick. If it's a real bad case patching helps a lot. Good luck with it.

fitz

salebarn junkie":kv1pyloz said:
Pink eye is spread by flys the best prevention is fly control and depending what on what type of grass you have a good brush hogging to keep stems and seeds from iratating there eyes.

Keeping these 2 things (somewhat) under control can make a big difference.

Jogee and Hook have good advice as well.

Katherine

Thanks everybody for your help. I finally got the 600 lb. steer in the pen and the 400 lb. was already in the pen. I was able to give them both a shot of the la300. I walked the 400 lb. steer as slow as I could through the alley to the squeeze chute. The poor thing was running into everything. Does this pink eye thing come on that quick and how long does this medicine last? This morning his eyes were hazy, but he could still get around then tonight he is about as blind as a bat. I think after work tomorrow I am gonna load him up and take him to the vet. Thanks again, Phil

How many cc's of LA300 did you give the 400 lb steer? It can take up to two weeks for the eyes to start clearing up,some clear up sooner.I had a cow with both eyes grey and it took two rounds of LA300 to clear her up.

I've been telling everybody all day he a was a 400 Pounder. But, When i weighed him tonight, He was 302. So, i looked on the box, and they said for 300 Pounds to give him 9 CC's. And the 600 Pounder got 18 CC's.

Your just throwing money away taking it to the vet you have done everything you can its sight will come back once the scaring heals. Ive had several like this over the years they will follow the others around the pasture and do just fine.

Well, everybody I took the three sale barn cows to the vet today. The 600 pound steer got a shot of Penicillin in the right eye, the 300 pound steer got a shot of Penicillin in both eyes, the heifer got a shot of LA300. He also sold me a bottle of NFZ Puffer and said if the others come down with it, after I give them a shot of LA300, to put some of this in their eyes. It cost me $60 and three hours off work, but I really felt bad for the 300 pound steer. His poor eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head.

Hook,
Thanks for telling me about the LA300. My Jersey Heifer had a little bull calf, and sure enough tonight when I got home I had to treat him. The vet also said not to put LA200 or LA300 in their eyes.

Hook, Jogeephus, and Sale Barn,
Next time I definitely will not be taking them to the vet.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Latest posts