Pine pellets

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Been out of horses for many years. Now I have a couple Tennessee walkers and as far as I am concerned, pine pellets are a miracle !!!
We clean the stalls twice a day and I have to say it's never been easier. Kind of pricey at six dollars a bag but only use a couple of bags a week.

And I never put a blanket on a horse or mule before hanyon season! Hair up guys!
I'm thinking of buying a mule for mountain trails and hunting, any tips? Everyone tells me it's hugely different from horses but I've only ever rode one or two mules and have no idea what metric to judge them off of other than horse metrics.

Been out of horses for many years. Now I have a couple Tennessee walkers and as far as I am concerned, pine pellets are a miracle !!!
We clean the stalls twice a day and I have to say it's never been easier. Kind of pricey at six dollars a bag but only use a couple of bags a week.
Just curious....why do you keep them stalled?

They are free to come and go but the lack of rain up here last 2 years really hurt their pasture. So they still get hay everyday.
The stalls are outside in a covered building so they can get out of the heat and also have a place that's warm in the winter.
Stalls and barn are up on top of hill at 1800 ft elevation so in the winter time it gets pretty brutally cold with the wind.

I'm thinking of buying a mule for mountain trails and hunting, any tips? Everyone tells me it's hugely different from horses but I've only ever rode one or two mules and have no idea what metric to judge them off of other than horse metrics.
I seem to remember a few members here that had trail mules. You might want to search the forum.

I've been around horses my entire life. I had a Tennessee Walker when I was young and just loved that horse.
But as I said haven't owned any horses for a while.
We also raised Clydesdales, my pop was incredibly talented with horses. Not sure how many times I went to St Louis to see the Budweiser clydes, but it was many because at the end of the tour there was free beer and Pop drank Budweiser.
We attended all the local horse pulls, fairs, and horsing events when I was young.
I have a lot of fond memories.
It's kind of a shame most kids don't get to grow up that way.
My pop traded stuff with the Amish. According to him they were experts in the wagon wheel making and my pop built a stagecoach by hand.
Our horses were tools more than they were pets I used a horse to run my trap line for about 6 years. It was also my transportation to see that cute girl down the road !
We plowed our half acre garden and also used horses to pull firewood logs out of the woods.
The horses we have now are strictly for pleasure and we love riding.

Keith 1974 (1).jpg

Good mules are expensive, I never could afford to buy a broke mule. I always bought 2-3 yo and started them ourselves. They were very sure footed and when trusting would follow or lead anywhere. If I wasn't so beat up I'd get another.

Never owned a horse. Neighbor has a handful. They are always stalled every night. I didn't know any different.

I have had a couple donkeys. We had a dreadful winter one year and them dumb things didn't mind it one bit. Broke my heart seeing the giant iceball that was built up on the bottom of their feet. Whaddya do? They had a 3 sided shed and would NOT go in it.

Latest posts