Pinched nerve near sacral vertebrae

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a 1st calf heifer with a pinched nerve near her sacral vertebrae, most likely from mounting (one of the bulls was on her 5/30), she can't lift her tail and when she walks her back feet buckle slightly at the fetlock. Started her on aspirin until we could get her to the barn followed by 10cc Dex for 3 days and Absorbine liniment. Our vet suggested keeping her at the barn for at least another month unless we see marked improvement, at which time we can move her to a smaller pasture (with no bulls!). Full recovery is possible but he also indicated this type of injury can take 6+ months to heal & she may never be able to lift her tail. I give her a bath every day but not sure I'm on board with hauling the "poo bucket" out to pasture forever and I certainly don't want to risk re-injury (from another cow) if she didn't settle.

Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this & how long it took to heal - assuming it did. Words of wisdom?

I'd get her as sound as I could get her and ship her. Especially with cull prices being what they are. If you don't then you run the risk of having a downer and then your investment is worth zero.
Also, :welcome: let us know how it turns out.

Her temp is normal, she has a ravenous appetite, stretches when she gets up, doesn't appear to be in pain (not grinding her teeth, alert, etc) BUT I have been starting her calf on a mixture of starter feed/cubes/alfalfa in case she declines prior to weaning. Love her to death, awesome cow & momma, but you're right; we had a downer a couple years ago and I'm still traumatized.

Update: we moved her to a smaller pasture today. Still can't move her tail & still has an obvious lump although it's firm, not swollen (no finger indent when I press on it) but she's walking completely normal - as in you wouldn't know anything was wrong unless you really looked.

Latest posts