Pikes/crappies last weekend.

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys should! We have 10,000 lakes for you to pick one and fish on! Lake of the woods, Red Lake, Mille Lacs and Lake Winnipeg would be excellent choices for visitors....best walleye fishing lakes next to jumbo perches and huge 15-17" crappies as well. You don't have go outside. Just fishing in the house, watching your favorite football games all day and fish fry for supper........

Muddy":2o1muqd8 said:
As for the ceiling fan, the fish house tends to get too hot....just same reason why you need one in your house lol

I wish I can afford these fancy ones!!!!
I always prefer to "rough it" like you guys when I fish. :mrgreen:

Nice fish. My wife has some family in Minnesota. We visit about every summer never been in the winter though. I like the cold my wife not so much. I know her uncle fishes Red Lake and Lake of the Woods some. I do want to get up there and try it sometime. Have seen a few of those "icehouses" and it's not exactly roughing it. Us southern guys wouldn't even know it was cold unless we had to got to the truck for more beer.

Last weekend it was -20F with wind chills. Froze all beer cans :'( but at least we had some beer slushies lol

Northern pike have light spots on dark background where muskie have dark spots (or dark stripes) on light background. Pike have round fins and muskellunges have pointed fins. Muskellunge tends to be larger than pike when it comes to the average sizes.

I sure miss eaten pike, walleye and lake trout. Quit making my trips to canada. Sure miss it , but I don't miss the lying outfitters

That picture with no snow :shock: I would be scared to death to get out on that ice!!!
We have been in Rochester, MN all winter and one day drove east to see the river and noticed there were no houses or trucks out on the frozen river.... ice must be too thin because of the river current?

Yup you are right! They wont put their fish houses on the rivers or the places where the currents are at. The lake by me has a small river runs in middle of the lake. Nobody puts the fish house in middle of the lake because of the currents/thin ice. Its a shame because that's where the huge crappies are at.

That kind of surprised me about swift currents not freezing. The St Lawrence seaway is froze solid, there driving trucks from Clayton NY to my wife's farm on Grindstone Island. I've seen the pictures, and that's as close as this southern boy is getting.

Muddy":2h0c94k4 said:
Northern pike have light spots on dark background where muskie have dark spots (or dark stripes) on light background. Pike have round fins and muskellunges have pointed fins. Muskellunge tends to be larger than pike when it comes to the average sizes.

Thanks. I caught a big one up in LO 10,000 Lakes area years ago. They told me it was a Musky. It was huge but other than the size it looked the same to me other than the size. I had a blast pulling him in. Pulled the canoe around for a good while.

You're lucky! I has yet catch a musky. They didn't called them Fish of 10,000 casts for nothing.

I think I was. Whole thing was a fluke. I was down to my last spoon - a red devil which I could have sold for $100 because the pike were wearing it out but were rarely biting anything else. My cast fouled and the spoon went to the bottom and when I got my line sorted I started reeling and thought I had snagged it in the rocks on the bottom and I was crushed. Then the line started moving to the side and I started reeling. He started pulling the drag and pulled the canoe in a 180. I let the canoe serve as a drag with the reel and kept working him. Finally got him to the boat and just grabbed his gills and started pulling the thing in the boat. I'm probably stretching it but from memory he seemed to have been nearly four foot long but he may have grown over the last 40 years. But he was big and I had to let him go. I'd have killed for some oil, batter and ketchup but I had nothing but dehydrated food. Still remember the lake though. It was called Lilly Pad Lake. I'll always remember that place. Fishing was terrific.

Latest posts