Pigs

Help Support CattleToday:

Little pigs are SOO cute! It's a good thing they get uglier as they get bigger, or we would never eat one!

Pigs are actually easy to raise with cattle.. as they are good for "cleaning up" after your cattle, if you have some on feed. They're actually pretty cheap to raise, and tasty too!

I have pigs. Berkshires and a Yorkshire/Duroc cross sow. The yorkshire cross is much easier going then the Berkshires, but the berkshires are better "out to pasture" so it depends on what you want in a pig. Just some advice, i dont reccomend feeding your pig bread or yeasty products, you will taste it in your meat.

jhambley":d4w3iwhn said:
I saw your post and had to show off our registered Hereford pigs. They're polled by the way :)

pigs1.jpg

pigs2.jpg

These guys are absolutely adorable.. But you herf breeders sure do go to the extreme with your adage that every animal deserves a white face though.. :lol2: :p

I agree with you too Bulllady baby pigs a very cute, but then they grow up . Good thing they taste so darn delicious.. ;-)

We have two more that we are raising now. We feed the regular pig pellets but they get the "leftovers" from the garden. Watermelon, cataloupe, and sweet corn mostly. The meat turns out "sweet" and they are really happy while they are here.

We just put 3 pigs in the freezer. Put them on the garden spot over the winter, so they worked up the ground *really* well for us and added fertilizer in the process. Got scraps from a local caterer, gave 'em leftover milk from the milk cows, whole corn bought in bulk from a local farmer, and supplemented normal pellets. Ended up costing about $1.60 pr/lb when all was said and done. Not bad.

We'll do more next winter.

Jack T.":gixeull9 said:
We just put 3 pigs in the freezer. Put them on the garden spot over the winter, so they worked up the ground *really* well for us and added fertilizer in the process. Got scraps from a local caterer, gave 'em leftover milk from the milk cows, whole corn bought in bulk from a local farmer, and supplemented normal pellets. Ended up costing about $1.60 pr/lb when all was said and done. Not bad.

We'll do more next winter.

It is interesting that you let the hogs into your garden. We have been scowering the internet trying to find out why everyone is saying you can't use pig/hog manure/shavings from our sow barns. The story is you can not use any manure/compost from carnavores. Ours don't get ANY meat or meat products so I am not sure if it would matter. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate hearing about it. We have basically unlimited composted hog manure/shavings and would love to be able to use it in our gardens.
Thanks,
Double R

Latest posts