Pigeon soup

Help Support CattleToday:

K-SHIRES

Reaction score
Growin up on th farm with 12 kids, one year times were so tough Dad made a soup out of the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death by the empty grain bin.

K-SHIRES":3fww8506 said:
Growin up on th farm with 12 kids, one year times were so tough Dad made a soup out of the shadow of a pigeon that had starved to death by the empty grain bin.

My grandmother had a soup stone to make soup from. She could boil that stone and make a wonderful pot of soup by just adding water.

Did your Dad clean that pigeon or boil feathers and all? From what my dad says it's hard to pick the feathers from a bird shadow.

MikeC- Times were so tough the dog ate the feathers. Nothin' but bones for soup.
In a burst of creativity, we boiled Balsam needles and made a green Balsam tea. Can't reccommend it.
One winter we got desparate. There were old Kerr-Mason jars of canned peaches in the basement the former farm owners had left behind. My brother and I would go to the milkhouse early in the morning and skim the cream off the dairy bulk tank. then we would run a batch of Vanilla-Peach Ice Cream using rock salt and snow(which we had good plenty). Naturally, we would hide the Ice Cream in the haymow so our sisters wouldn't get any. Worked well till Dad discovered it and ate our stash.
Funny how his butterfat test at the dairy plant went up after he put the Kai-Bosh to that one...............................

Pigeon shadow stew? We used to eat popcorn kernals for breakfast, drink water for dinner and swell up for supper. We was po too.

Latest posts