Pictures from this weekend

Help Support CattleToday:

WarEagle73

Reaction score
I always enjoying seeing everyone's pictures from around the country of what's going on at their farm, so I figure I'll post more of mine.

I took a break from school this past weekend and went home to plant part of our winter grazing and wean some calves.

Started out Saturday morning by catching all the cattle. I had planned on weaning the rest of our calf crop, but the cows were in great shape and all bred back to calve starting in January, so I figured we would let the cows keep doing their job instead of us feeding the calves.
123_zps41ab869e.jpg

A neighbor of ours has 3 or 4 cows and we lend him our bull every year for a few months. Gets his cows bred and takes him off our hands for a while so it is a win-win. While we had the cows caught, we loaded him up. You can also see our working pens and shed that are under construction. Like alot of projects around home, that one started in 2008 and you can see our progress...

124_zpse95ace49.jpg

A little closer picture of our "rig"

127_zps41525a93.jpg

After we unloaded the bull, Dad figured out I was taking pictures and was trying to get the bull to pose in front of that white fence in the back. Dad isn't the tallest man at 5'7" or so, so you can get a better idea of the stature of our bull.

128_zpse8e5531e.jpg

131_zps29a4db8b.jpg

132_zps86a93c7d.jpg

Headed to see the ladies

119_zps60d01255.jpg

Got back home and started on this pile of seed. We planted Marshall Ryegrass, Crimson Clover, and a "Big Buck Blend" that consisted of Wheat, Oats, and Winter Peas. The seed store only had about half of the clover we wanted so we'll have to make a second round of drilling on part of the pastures.

122_zpsa381d294.jpg

My ride for the day.

120_zps296d95ac.jpg

While I was taking pictures, I snapped one of our "new" hay baler. We bought it, the tractor above and some other equipment recently for a bargain and are doing some repair work to get it all running.

133_zpsd749980b.jpg

First cab tractor we have ever owned and it is definitely ruining me. A/C and the radio? Never been able to work on the tractor all day and listen to Auburn football at the same time.

135_zps4588cd76.jpg

134_zpsb3ed99a4.jpg

Finished product. We received an inch and a half of rain Sunday night as well so hopefully by Christmas I can cut my hay consumption in half or better and increase our conception rates without feeding a single pound of anything but forage. At least that is the idea behind this experiment.

Hopefully I haven't placed this in the wrong forum. Just wanted to share some pictures and get people's thoughts on what we are doing. Thanks for having a look and War Eagle!

Great pics!, I also love seeing pics from around the world on CT. Welcome to cattle today, hope you're a college football fan :D Oh, and Go Ducks! :lol:

:tiphat: Alan

Definitely a die-hard college football fan. Haven't missed many games since I started at Auburn in 2008. And sorry you guys had to run into the buzzsaw known as Cam Newton and the 2010 Tigers. Oregon is looking strong again this year, hopefully you guys get to play Alabama(IF we don't beat them in the Iron Bowl) and whip up on them in the NC Game.

Nice setup Wareagle. I'm envious! I like the bull; looks like he has a little attitude which can't be all bad.

He is RAY In Focus 9264. The link will take you to his registration through AAA. We bought him from Auburn's beef teaching herd. They used him as a yearling to clean up heifers and as a two year old to clean up the mature cowherd(all registered Angus). I bought him in Feb. of this year and, hopefully, his first calves will hit the ground in December from our heifers he bred.

Hasn't had anything to eat other than fescue and common bermuda since we got him, so hopefully he has the genetics to make cows that will thrive on our forage base.

So far, we haven't had any attitude problems out of him. All of the cattle raised at the university tend to be very docile and don't fear people, which I was afraid would translate to a bull that would be pushy and aggressive in the pens, but so far so good. We will see as he gets older how that goes.

Those are some great pictures Wareagle. I enjoyed them. I used to have a gooseneck on my half-ton truck also and everyone called me crazy but it worked for me. I hope the tigers have a good season for you, I would be more excited for this football season if the Ohio State Buckeyes weren't banned from bowl games....Anyways, good luck with your cattle and good luck to the Tigers!

ohiosteve":27xjj06j said:
I used to have a gooseneck on my half-ton truck also and everyone called me crazy but it worked for me.

The trailer is a 16 ft and it pulls pretty good with that truck. I wouldn't want to fill it up and try to get on the interstate, but for hauling to our local sale barn it does the trick. We have a '73 model Ford 1 ton truck with a flat bed that needs some work, but it is another project that has taken a backseat since I left home for college.

Fun to see the pictures! Nice to see a "day in the life" of WarEagle73.

Thanks for posting. Lokks like you've got some good things going on there. Keep up the good work.

Katherine

WarEagle73":192dbaxt said:
Definitely a die-hard college football fan. Haven't missed many games since I started at Auburn in 2008. And sorry you guys had to run into the buzzsaw known as Cam Newton and the 2010 Tigers. Oregon is looking strong again this year, hopefully you guys get to play Alabama(IF we don't beat them in the Iron Bowl) and whip up on them in the NC Game.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

GREAT pics! Looking real good over your way...

really enjoyed your photo tour....

keep up the good work....

young men like you cause me to continue to have faith for the future of our country....even if you are in the minority...

and I am only an inch taller than your dad but I guarantee you no one ever called me shorty.....cause my fighting weight was 220.

Latest posts