Picture

Help Support CattleToday:

tim1970

Reaction score
I know this is a horse forum, but I wanted to post a picture of my wife's new pet :lol:

I was able to get her for $75.00. Do you think she is worth it? I got her for protection of my calves, and so far she has bonded with them very well. In fact when we had to catch one of the calves for shots, she kept trying to get between us. She is one of the biggest hams I have ever been around, :) Also the owner we bought her from said she was about 7 years old, and is possibly bred. What do you think.

Jenny01.jpg

I don't know anything about the value of Jesus donkey's, but she's a cutie.

A6gal":342ezqtr said:
I don't know anything about the value of Jesus donkey's, but she's a cutie.

Donkey? :shock: I thought that was a roping horse. :lol: :lol:

they had 8 of them go thru the sale the other day. all jacks. $75 each

The donkey I had was a jack and I liked him fine until I heard the cows bawling unusually and went to check to see what was going on and when I came into the field I saw that jack with a day old baby calf hanging by the neck from jacks jaws. That was the end of him. You might keep a watchful eye on her for a while. BTW the calf lived.

She could be 7. Its hard to tell with her being underweight and needing to put on some muscle as well. There is always this wasted look that comes with thinness, and saddens me further to see her in such condition and when she may or may not be in foal. A slow steady gain is what she needs. I would have the vet do a check on her. He will tell you what she needs. Are a donkeys needs the same as a horse. Would she need to be wormed...how long are her feet. Is she pregnant and how far along is she....a vet could answer all these questions and more. If she is in foal, then her nutritional needs are even more crucial. Good luck, she looks like a wonderful new member of the family! I have a feeling that life just got a lot better for her.

Is she about 7 or about 17?? LOL If shes only 7 Id say she sure might be bred. I hate donkeys..especially around cattle...to each his own...hope your wife likes her

congrats on your jenny, what a great gift for you wife... you did good!but this is comming form some who rasied donkeys and mules LOL. age.. what her teeth look like?pretty straight down or are they starting to pitch out? the older they are the more of a pitch they will have {like a horse} watch the protien content of grain, dont go any higher than 12% thats pretty high 10 %is better, if you put her on 16% or higher it will cause her to have fallen crest{fatty deposit in her neck} it will lead to other prob down the road. have you tryed beet pulp mixed with her grain? ive seen it work wonders, we ve had a few here that came a little under wt. got them trurned around they just needed a better hotel! i dont think you got hurt on your donkey deal, if you can catch her, handler her, pick up her feet.. and she not kick you head off! if i can be any help will be glad to help. Rose

Latest posts