Phase of the moon Weaning

Help Support CattleToday:

CKC1586

Reaction score
I did a search but found nothing. I could have sworn that some time ago there was a discussion on weaning based on the moon???Anyone remember seeing it?? Does anyone follow the practice?

I check the moon phase for weaning. Have not for castrating. I just weaned some calves today. Yesterday was the better day, but got in to late from the state fair. Try http://www.almanac.com then astrology pages, best days for certain activities.

Thank you!!!
My Grandparents did everything by the moon, butchering, planting,etc and I knew I had read the deal on weaning somewhere. Thanks again.

I weaned 3 heifers on the 12th, they were still bawling this morning and pacing the fence. I guess I should have waited until Sunday the 13th.

We weaned calves a couple of weeks ago when the sign was in the bowels, by the third day both calves and mamas were settled down and eating good. Look at the calendar and always wean them when the signs is below the heart. We also try to wean them in a corral where the mamas and calves can still see each other and even smell each other and that seems to help. But we also have calves at other farms and when we wean them we have to bring them all to one location.

I'm not sure who you're asking but we wean anywhere from six to seven months old, sometimes we have varied a time or two depending on the size of the calf. We usually wean about three groups per year and sometimes we'll have a calf or two that may be a little younger or older but depending on the size of the calf and the condition of the mama we'll go ahead and put them in with that particular weaning group. But usually, we wean at six to seven months of age.

Tried the moon phase weaning last year...didn't notice any difference in the time it took...some took longer than others just like every other year.
Did try the weaning devices...looked like some mideval torture device and once the calves learned to turn their heads to nurse the device was usless...just kept the hard heads seperated alot longer. Dmc

Well, I weaned the little guy on the 22nd and I can't see where he did any better than the ones that got weaned a week later. In fact he was still bawling. He and his mom are still talking occasionally as of today.

CKC1586":w21hwh4e said:
Well, I weaned the little guy on the 22nd and I can't see where he did any better than the ones that got weaned a week later. In fact he was still bawling. He and his mom are still talking occasionally as of today.

I try to completely remove them from the cow (hearing distance). Don't see a big difference in the calves but the cows seem to dry better and bawl less in the sign.

fitz