pg cycling

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I missed a heat in a cow. Gave her pg day 11-12 after that cycle. It's now day 9 since then and I haven't seen any heat. I seem to recall my vet would give another shot at day 10 and, if there was still nothing, she'd rebreed at day 14 regardless. Does that sound right? Want to give her one more chance before I let the bull in.

Give prostaglandin at day 7-10 after an observed heat. I think you were late at day 11 or 12. I think you confused what your vet does. She doesn't wait 10 days after a shot to give another shot. The 10 days is after an observed heat. I am hoping I understand correctly what you are saying. If I am following you correctly your cow should be coming into heat anytime now. 11 days after heat + 9 days after shot = 20 days since last heat.

novaman":1t768e2n said:
Give prostaglandin at day 7-10 after an observed heat. I think you were late at day 11 or 12. I think you confused what your vet does. She doesn't wait 10 days after a shot to give another shot. The 10 days is after an observed heat. I am hoping I understand correctly what you are saying. If I am following you correctly your cow should be coming into heat anytime now. 11 days after heat + 9 days after shot = 20 days since last heat.

You're understanding correctly. So in this case - just wait a day or two right?

My vet (when she used to do timed ai for me) would give all the cattle a shot of lut at day 0. She had me give another shot at day 10 and she'd show up to breed at day 14. At least, that's what I remember she did. No?

angus9259":39i33r88 said:
You're understanding correctly. So in this case - just wait a day or two right?

My vet (when she used to do timed ai for me) would give all the cattle a shot of lut at day 0. She had me give another shot at day 10 and she'd show up to breed at day 14. At least, that's what I remember she did. No?
My best guess would be that she should be coming into heat anytime.

Are you sure you're remembering the protocol? Usually if she gave a shot of lute on day 0 anything that was at the proper stage in there cycle would come into heat at around day 3. Typically around 2/3 of the herd will come into heat at this time because, if I remember correctly, there is a 12 day window in a cow's cycle where the lute will bring her around into heat. Anything that didn't express heat 7-10 days following the initial injection of lute would be given a second round (the shot your vet had you give at day 10). In theory this second shot should bring everything that hadn't already been in heat and bred into heat. If she was showing up on day 14 I have to wonder if there aren't some being missed because 3 days following the injection is typically the hottest day for activity.

That would be the right timing. Day 0 shot - day 10 shot - all should be cycling day 12-13 and bred late day 13 or early day 14. (12 hours after standing heats.) Sounds right.
Depending on how long her natural heat cycle is, 11-12 days after standing heat could be too late. They don't respond 5-6 days after standing heat - and they don't respond 5-6 before standing heat?? (I think) So, like most of my heifers, they come into heat 17-18 days. If it's a 17 day cycle, they won't respond on day 11 or 12. Make sense??
I could be off a day on the non-response days.