Pfizer "Excede"?

Help Support CattleToday:

bwranch

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with "Excede" from Pfizer? As far as I can tell, it's a broad spectrum Cephalosporin with a seven day activity from a single injection, given SQ in the ear. Dosage is about like Micotil.

Lee

Works great on arrival, on stressed incoming salebarn calves.
It brought my pull rate way down. I prefer the new Draxxin by Phizer, on a calf that is very sick though. It stays in them a long time too, and is a one time treatment.

I can't say for sure that the Excede saves me money, used on arrival, since it costs me about 7.50 a head, on a plainer type 300lb. calf.A hundred head = $750.00 or about the price of 2 of them.
A 2% death loss was about where I was at before I started using it. But it does save lots of work, treating and retreating, sick cattle. That is worth a lot to me, I started using it as soon as it came out, and I am still buying it.

LT

Thanks LT. Kinda worried about the ear injection thing. How does that work for you? What about repulls with the Draxxin? It's probably my imagination but it sure seems like the BRD bugs here aren't responding as fast to the Nuflor and Micotil as they have in the past. Some pretty wicked cases around the area this year with a fair amount of death loss, even in the dairy herds. Think I may try one of these if I can get hold of it. Thanks again for the response.

Lee

The ear thing works good once you have done a few , and get the technique down. I spent all day at one of those seminars to learn it, but I can lay it on ya in two minutes.LOL!!

The needles you get with the Exceed are bevelled differently than a regular needle. Really blunt. It punches a hole in the hide pretty much. The main thing I learned at the seminar was that if you inject into a vein it will kill them instantly! On the back of the ear are a couple of big arteries, they were shaving the ears and showing us how to put the meds between the viens! Or you could put it on the top, front of the ear (nice flat part),
where there are no viens to hit. I can't imagine shaving all those ears or risking hitting a vein, so I place all mine right on top, and have never had any sort of problem this way.
Technique is important or every bit will run back out the same hole it went in. Insert the needle under the hide as if you were placing an implant. Put your thumb over the needle at the entry point and apply pressure as you inject. Keep your thumb over the hole as you pull the needle back out. You have a bubble of Exceed on top of his ear. The most important thing is to keep your thumb over the hole. Take your other hand and "milk" that bubble towards the calfs head away from the hole. Strip it a few times and you feel the bubble go away.
Sometimes you see a drop ooze back out, but they assured me this was O.K. and was figured in the dosage. I hope this doesn't sound too complicated because it's not. It is just like implanting really, you just rub it afterwards.
I see the same thing you do with some of the other antibiotics that have been around awhile. Many just don't seem to respond like they once did. I have only used the Draxxin for a month or so, but have been REAL PLEASED. The price tag scared me at first ($280) for a little 100cc. bottle. But it is a one time treatment and only uses 1cc. per hundred wt. So that makes it pretty comparible in price to the others if I'm figuring right. The part I love is treating them early and putting them back out on something green vs. standing in a sick pen.
I think grass is good medicine in itself. The Draxxin is used in the neck sub-Q, and they reccomend changing meds if there is no response within a couple of days. Luckily, I haven't had much problem with this as long as I catch them early. Sorry about the wordy post, I hope it was beneficial.

LT

LT, posts are never too long when they contain great info. Thanks a bunch.
On the Draxxin and the ear injection meds - how is the reaction - as far as lumps? Always looking for something that works good, for long single injection protection, and doesn't swell up huge - especially for our show cattle. Real bummer when they get sick & you have to keep stabbing them :shock:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xquk2ju said:
LT, posts are never too long when they contain great info. Thanks a bunch.
On the Draxxin and the ear injection meds - how is the reaction - as far as lumps? Always looking for something that works good, for long single injection protection, and doesn't swell up huge - especially for our show cattle. Real bummer when they get sick & you have to keep stabbing them :shock:

We've used Draxxin and Excenel, neither have left a lump of any consequence for more then a day or so.

dun

Latest posts