PET COWS

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":122jq5xm said:
aplusmnt":122jq5xm said:
I would love to see Caustics face when he sees that picture above with the hat on a cow. :lol:

Thats the kind that will hurt you, when you are not paying attention.

Exactely. A dairyman was killed three years ago by a bull that was petted and raised by the owners kids. If I may despence some advice, never get complacent around any livestock. Sure as you do you will get hurt.

Here is the route I am taking with mine. Most are ex show heifers. Lots of others came from People that raise show animals either PB Angus or Club calf programs. All are really gentle and generally are not scared of me.

But I am trying to give them a mild training in not liking me so much. I Carry stick and will not let them come close anymore. No more show treatment, they seem still to be easy to work and load but do not try to run over me anymore.

They are not wild but they give me more respect now. When first turning them show heifers out though they will be all over you at feeding if you let them. They are worse than other since they know what they are missing in all that good grain.

Now ive read me a few things on this here board thats given me pause but thisen here has got ta be the worst!!

Folks for dangs sake what is goen through yalls brains?? I have me a bucket O consern about were ya did yur cattle learnen! Aint ya got the sense God gave a mule?? Cattle are not pets and shame on ya fur tryen ta make em so. The next dang thing ya know, were gonna see some low life peta pushers tellen folks not ta eat beef cus the dang cows got souls and feelens like the rest O us! Leave the da burn cattle just the way they are!!! Good eaten and a way for some hard worken folks ta make a liven!!!

Now ive read me a few things on this here board thats given me pause but thisen here has got ta be the worst!!

Folks for dangs sake what is goen through yalls brains?? I have me a bucket O consern about were ya did yur cattle learnen! Aint ya got the sense God gave a mule?? Cattle are not pets and shame on ya fur tryen ta make em so. The next dang thing ya know, were gonna see some low life peta pushers tellen folks not ta eat beef cus the dang cows got souls and feelens like the rest O us! Leave the da burn cattle just the way they are!!! Good eaten and a way for some hard worken folks ta make a liven!!!

It sounds like you are from a different part of Idaho than myself. I had to call up an African american Hillbilly and have him translate what you just typed. Being a Euro-American cowboy i had a hard time deciphering it.

Beef11":6hf4fgqb said:

It sounds like you are from a different part of Idaho than myself. I had to call up an African american Hillbilly and have him translate what you just typed. Being a Euro-American cowboy i had a hard time deciphering it.

So now we can add racist to your list of wonderful traits :roll:
If you took the time to look at the links OB posted when he first came on this board you would see his son (euro-american) and his rodeo acheivments.

You should be ashamed of yourself!

I don't see why having tame, touchable cows would mean not eating them. Of course I've sent horses for meat too so maybe it is just me. I started patting my cows to make my job easier, I am just one of the people trying to make a living doing this the easiest way I know how.

For the last eight years I have been working with all the ones we've been keeping to get them to allow human touch. I've been out with them during fly season and never had one get me with her head, they know I am there and don't swing. Cows may not have the IQ of a chimp but they aren't completely stupid. I have not had one injury from any of my tame cows, not even a bruise. I have also never had one that turned on me. I wish I could say the same thing for the wild cows I've worked with over the years. For how dangerous many people here are making "pet" cows out to be I am wondering why I don't read constantly about deaths of people who show cattle, especially the bulls.

Victoria, I'm with you. Cattle are smart enough to understand respect - it's not just about the grain bucket. Each time I walk out into the field without a grain bucket or treats, I can still check them out or put a weight tape on them. All the unpleasant things you must do to cattle in the name of health and animal husbandry is not so stressful on them.
Whole beef processing plants are paying attn. to the stress level on butchered animals because of meat flavor.
My animals range from 1500 lbs to 100 lbs. I've only got 12 head so it's alittle easier to be friendly - my level of friendly had to change a bit from when I had 5 head to the 12, simply because of the numbers of bodies coming at you -- so if I had 100 head, I would change my level of friendly towards my cattle but would still want to walk up to anyone of them in the field to give a scratch. One thing I have learned -- you get them used to a "butt" rub and they won't kick as much.

You are right coolpop. My brother works in Cargill and was just telling us a short time ago that the company recently hired a consultant to come in and tell them how they can keep the cattle calmer therefore getting higher quality meat. They are re-designing all of their alleys etc. Prods are not allowed they will be using sticks with what looks like garbage bags cut up on them to move the cattle. This trend is going to the feedlot buyers as well. They know that calm cattle are in demand so many of them are changing their operations as well. They are also purposely buying the calmer animals at the auction market. I have seen animals being sold to feeders that are identical in looks sell for less because they act wild in the ring. The more research that is done the more this is going to happen and calves that come from calmer cows are less stressed about being handled.

The hubby spent an hour and a half in the rain on Monday to get up a cow/calf (along with 2 other people) as calf was sick.
They weren't ours.

Today, he said he saw some cows milling around the lower end of the barnyard and went to investigate and found out they were ours, there was some fence down by the gate, they crossed over the county road and came up by the barn. He got a 5 gallon bucket of feed and they all followed him back to where they belonged. No fuss, no muss, no hassle. We have 24 in a 30 acre pasture and half of them were out but it wouldn't matter if all of them had been out the result would have been the same.

Everyone's environment is different - we don't need 10 acres or 50 acres per cow and that's why I like to get out there and walk around amongst them. I want them used to seeing someone every day as we may need to get one over to the barn this winter (14 of them are first calving heifers) plus I like that type of disposition.

Some of them get close enough to touch but its worked great this past summer if I had to doctor one for a weepy eye/pinkeye.

The calves are a little skittish, but when they get weaned they calm down within a couple of weeks and are as gentle as the cows.

When the vet came out last month, it took an hour and 15 minutes to preg check 17 head.... they went through the chute just like clock work, no fuss, no muss, no hassle. The vet even commented how easy it was to work them.

I have one tame beef cow. She leads the rest of the herd when I need to move them through a gate, etc. She'll eat apples out of my hand, is halter broke, but definitely knows the meaning of the words No or Back. She also will let me milk her IF I halter and tie her. I don't consider her a pet - she is a working animal. She's calm and easy to handle, and calms the rest of the herd. She gives us a nice calf every single year.

My bull is gentle, but I still consider him a bull and, as such, a dangerous animal. The rest of my cows are easy to get along with, but I am careful around them. If I am carrying a sorting stick, all of my cows know to start looking for a gate to go through. If I need to move my bull, I keep my dog at my side as insurance. Although, my bull loads himself into a stock trailer as he thinks when that gate opens he is going to visit some more ladies.

I think pet cattle can be very dangerous. Even our halter broke cow injured my husband about 10 years ago. We had trailered her in from another state. It was dark and cold when we got home. My husband led the cow through the gate and was walking her back to the corral when one of our horses startled her. She swung her head to see what or who was back there and hit my husband right over his liver. He sported a nasty bruise on his belly for a couple of weeks. We were very grateful she was polled.

A bull or cow or steer that has been lead to believe people are playtoys is an accident waiting to happen.

Victoria":2vu4avzc said:
You are right coolpop. My brother works in Cargill and was just telling us a short time ago that the company recently hired a consultant to come in and tell them how they can keep the cattle calmer therefore getting higher quality meat. They are re-designing all of their alleys etc. Prods are not allowed they will be using sticks with what looks like garbage bags cut up on them to move the cattle. This trend is going to the feedlot buyers as well. They know that calm cattle are in demand so many of them are changing their operations as well. They are also purposely buying the calmer animals at the auction market. I have seen animals being sold to feeders that are identical in looks sell for less because they act wild in the ring. The more research that is done the more this is going to happen and calves that come from calmer cows are less stressed about being handled.

You can hire a consultant to tell you what ever you want to here. This is just another step closer to trying to humanize cattle, like the goofballs have done with dog's and cat's. I don't think I will see it but you just keep telling the PC world how nice and gentle old Belle is and you will end up with more regulations than you can shake a stick at.
We are greatly outnumbered already by the loose screws that run petting zoo's to animal rights nuts.

No, they are worried about their bottom dollar. God was pretty smart when He created animals, they are tastier if they are stressed out less and feel little pain at the time of death. Better for the animal and we don't have an excuse to not treat them well.

I refuse to believe that this has to be an all or nothing situation Caustic. Animals are not people but they are also not trees. God treats them lower than people but above a plant (he never made a covenant with a tree, he did with animals) so we should too. When it comes to how to deal with them I turn to the Bible and God's word tells me that a righteous man cares for the needs of his animals. Should we eat them, yes but we do have to treat them well before and during death, it is our responsibility. That said where is the line? Unfortunately there are people on both sides that go too far. There are cows (and other animals) living in sickening situations and it disgusts me to no end that the laws aren't tougher on the real abuse cases. Then there are the Peta people who are just insane and if I weren't a Christian woman I would be tempted to say there is just no hope for them.

I have heard the point that by making a cow out to be nice it gives the loonies an excuse to elevate them to human status but I don't agree. First of all the real loonies don't care what the animal is like, nice or not they will defend it's right to be "free". Secondly, I won't lie and tell people that all cows are mean or stupid because they aren't. For the most part, in my opinion, they are nicer animals than horses, dogs or cats. Thirdly, the majority of the public has no problem eating a cute little cow if they know it has had a good life and was killed humanely. Old Belle just tastes too good.

I hate any kind of regulation but unfortunately rules are necessary because there are a bunch of jerks out there who do abuse their animals. We have to tell people that a cow needs to be fed and that you can't break a cat's legs for kicks because we live in a sin filled world that needs these laws. Personally I think that the penalties should be tougher on obvious abuse cases. If the law was changed so that the person that lets their cow starve to death faced a heavy penalty it would give credibility to the industry, the public would feel that cows were being cared for. If they decide to start putting in stupid regulations I'll fight against them but I can't see it happening because obvious abuse cases only get a slap on the wrist, even for a cat or dog.

If society would only do it God's way, eat them but treat them good. That's what I am pushing for. If people want to pat or not pat is up to whatever makes life easier and/or more enjoyable for them.

I refuse to believe that garbage as I was eating tender steaks in the 60's before, the world lost its mind due to what some looney puts on the TV or is taught in the cesspool's of liberal garbage called college now.

We're a small operation and proud to say that we don't keep a "problem cow" on the place and have some "pets" that are just mellow cows. Makes working them a whole lot easier.
We cater to a niche market and I am a firm believer that the cows slaughtered on the farm have a smoother more beefy flavor than the ones that we take to the USDA processor; we've done countless taste tests and even have had our customers do a double blind taste test for us...unamious slaughtered on the farm was the choice.
We give farm tours and have sold alot of quarters by having the calves lick some dried molases off a child's hand and letting them actually find out that cows don't stink the manure does.
Calm cows are better doers, are safer to work and produce a better product...we sell to all sorts of folks and the majority of them actually do want to know how the animal was treated and what it ate...we listen to our customer base.
And that's my two bits worth...Dave Mc

I don't doubt for a minute that there were good steaks in the 60's. What it really comes down to though is that it doesn't matter what you or I think, what matters is what our customers think. If the consumer wants humane raised beef I am going to give it to them. If the feedlot buyers decide they want calmer calves and leave the nuts behind I am going to be one of the ones with calm calves.
I am also going to make my job as easy as possible and if that means having pattable cows so be it.

Latest posts