persistant problem

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
We have a steer 400-450lbs, that I have wormed twice, given la200 twice, but still has a wormy appearance, little wt. gain, all over several months. His manure is very loose. I use Promectin injectable because I can get it at a dicount. Is it a good wormer? My friend at the Vet reccomended we try Panacur paste and see if the calf responds. I gave it three days ago and havent seen improvement as yet. His appetite has always been good on free choice hay. Your suggestions are appreciated!!

G&L

What is the Steer eating? One or two de-wormings should correct current worm problem (if any). We use Ivomec Plus injectible and have used Dectomax. Both are good.

Maybe the loose stools are due to something he is eating that doesn't agree with him???

Isn't the LA200 an antibiotic? If so, it probably has no effect on worms. Antibiotics only effective on bacteria. Worms (obviously) are parasites.

Without knowing anything more, my first reaction would be to give him a good strong dose of IvomecPlus -- it will kill more "stuff" (including the liver flukes) than any of the other wormers. Costs a bit more, but probably worth it.

Panacur is a wormer for tape worms and requires a second treatment. That's the way it's done around here anyway.

dun

Are you sure it is worms you are dealing with? Could it be genetics & the way that particular steers body frame is? Or a sickness? Was it a bottle calf? What do you mean by a wormy appearance? Does he get any grain? Still nursing? Weaned lately? Bring a sample to your vet to see if in fact you are dealing with worms.

Take a sample of his stool to a vet and have him test it, should only cost you a few bucks. If it is coccidiosis you can treat with Corid in the water his stools will clear up within a week, but I would again suggest testing before wasting anymore money on other treatments.

Hey guys,
The steer is looking much better!!!! While you fellows were giving me so many suggestions, my friend at the local vet mixed us up a slurry of endosorb (5oz) and spectinomycin (150ml). I gave it by mouth 2Xaday till all gone. This was after the dose of panacur. Praise the Lord, He's gaining!
The endosorb is anti-diareeha, and the other is antibiotic.....correct? Many Thanks,G&L

Latest posts