Persimmon Trees

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
P1020189.jpg

These Japanese Persimmons are exquisite in taste and texture.

They have to stay on the treee for a long time don't they? I think I read that in a Laura Ingalls Wilder book. :)

rouxshortorn":2koqktb2 said:
what do they taste like,apple ,orange??
Not trying to be a smart alec, but the wild ones taste like persimmons. I don't know of anything else to compare them to. I've never tasted the cultivated/domesticated Japanese variety.

This variety, Fuju if I remember right, doesn't turn orange 'till about October, November in this climate.(Which, yes is a long time, Hawkeyes :)) They're good to eat at that point. They're crisp like a good apple, but sweeter. With more of a buttery texture than apples. No bitterness at all like wild Persimmons have. Most are seedless, meaning you can eat the whole thing, peeling and all. If you leave them on the tree too long they become mushy. Still good, but mushy. I prefer crisp. They're about the same size and shape as a large Tangerine.

rouxshortorn":1j32bp1m said:
what do they taste like,apple ,orange??
Not to put too fine a point on it because they have an exclusive taste. But, if I had to say what they tasted like, it would be something like a three way cross between a Peach, a Mango, and a Cantaloupe, with the crispness of a Red Delicious apple picked straight off the tree.

I thought you had to leave them on the tree till they got mushy. The persimmon tree my parents had would draw up your mouth if you had one firm.

Mean kids from down the road come by one day and said that they were gonna steal those "apples" from my parent's tree. I warned them. They didn't listen. They never stole them again!

Lammie":38alxr3q said:
I thought you had to leave them on the tree till they got mushy. The persimmon tree my parents had would draw up your mouth if you had one firm
Very true, regarding native wild persimmons. Not true regarding the Japanese variety.

If I lived in the south ~ I would have a fruit tree of every kind in my yard. You guys are so lucky in that respect. I have never tasted a persimmon.

I hear you Angie. The only reason I'd ever move to Florida would be to grow oranges. Can't grow those here. You have to live in a frost free climate. Also, northerners have some advantages. Apples are kind of tricky to grow here. Cherries, no way. We can grow some pretty decent pears though. GT, some persimmons are still there. Come on down and get you some.

We've got a couple of persimmon trees on the farm here. Dad loves them. He used to always look forward to trying to beat the possums to them when they ripened.

I went on a church mission to Southern California and someone was raving how good their persimmons were, they even let me try one. I wish they wouldn't have. Tree ripened citrus is something i can't replicate here in Idaho. I don't care for persimmons now blueberries there is another story.

Latest posts