Persimmon seeds

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Split a bunch of seeds yeaterday. Usually there is a little bit of variation, a few spoons a few forks a few knives. This year they are all spoons. If the trees know anything, it's gonna be a wild snowy winter

I've heard several different people that use different "signs" about the coming weather, and they all say it's going to be a cold tough winter.

grannysoo":x6wfwhez said:
I've heard several different people that use different "signs" about the coming weather, and they all say it's going to be a cold tough winter.

If folks from South Georgia are worrying about a cold winter, my granny always said that was a sure sign of a cold winter.

grannysoo":32vfk9r2 said:

Oh great. Really don't need two in a row!

dun":1tc32y0b said:
Split a bunch of seeds yeaterday. Usually there is a little bit of variation, a few spoons a few forks a few knives. This year they are all spoons. If the trees know anything, it's gonna be a wild snowy winter

On persimmons....having now retired, I have a better handle of my small place. I found I have one wild plum tree...and didn't realized they dropped so early. I was to late this year getting to them. Now I also have a whole bunch of persimmons. I noticed yesterday, some of the trees have dropped all of the persimmons....or birds are getting them. Yet a few other trees are loaded. I was hoping to have some jelly made, but don't even know if they are worth pursuing. What's my chances? Do I have to compete with birds or other critters?

jcummins":3liqqvi1 said:
dun":3liqqvi1 said:

On persimmons....having now retired, I have a better handle of my small place. I found I have one wild plum tree...and didn't realized they dropped so early. I was to late this year getting to them. Now I also have a whole bunch of persimmons. I noticed yesterday, some of the trees have dropped all of the persimmons....or birds are getting them. Yet a few other trees are loaded. I was hoping to have some jelly made, but don't even know if they are worth pursuing. What's my chances? Do I have to compete with birds or other critters?

Mostly other critters. Everything from possums to coyotes eat them.

I saw seven racoons in one medium sized persimmon tree a year or two ago at the time the persimmons were ripening. If they get on the ground, they won't be for long. Cows, dogs, and everything else will be all over them.

What is a Persimmon, and why are there utensils on it?

I hadn't even thought about the persimmons, but now I know what I'll be checking tomorrow.

Haven't seen any Wooly Worms in a month and the ones I did see then didn't have a wide black stripe.

Anybody have the Wooly Worm Report?

CUZ":cqxdv76o said:
I hadn't even thought about the persimmons, but now I know what I'll be checking tomorrow.

Haven't seen any Wooly Worms in a month and the ones I did see then didn't have a wide black stripe.

Anybody have the Wooly Worm Report?

I haven;t seen any at all this year.

Jogeephus":5mcv7yza said:
I saw a wooly worm by the barn this week. He was solid black.

Those were the only kind I saw last year except for one that was all yellowish colored.

Jogeephus":1di8mdbg said:
mitch2":1di8mdbg said:

Here is a pretty good explanation. Persimmon is a tree that bears a very bitter fruit if eaten too early. It turns real sweet later.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather_c ... mmon-seed/

A Persimmon is a fruit that looks attractive to eat when it is bright orange and firm. I can remember some mean little kids once in the neighborhood who said they were going to steal our "apples". I said those aren't apples and they said they were. "Fine", I said. "Go ahead and take one". The looks on their faces were priceless.

We used to blow them up with firecrackers when they were rotten. Otherwise, by the time they are ripe, they are too nasty to eat. Makes good bread, though.

Lammie":13i46ebe said:
Jogeephus":13i46ebe said:
mitch2":13i46ebe said:

Here is a pretty good explanation. Persimmon is a tree that bears a very bitter fruit if eaten too early. It turns real sweet later.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather_c ... mmon-seed/

A Persimmon is a fruit that looks attractive to eat when it is bright orange and firm. I can remember some mean little kids once in the neighborhood who said they were going to steal our "apples". I said those aren't apples and they said they were. "Fine", I said. "Go ahead and take one". The looks on their faces were priceless.

We used to blow them up with firecrackers when they were rotten. Otherwise, by the time they are ripe, they are too nasty to eat. Makes good bread, though.

Bread? That sounds interesting. Tell me how.

Latest posts