Persimmon Seed forecasting

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
Has anyone used persimmon seeds to forecast the weather?

I split a seed a few weeks ago and it was a spoon - cold wet winter, snow. The last time I saw this was in the fall of 2020, ahead of the worst winter storm Texas ever had.
Persimmon Spoon.jpg

I mostly see the knife and I've never seen the fork, but I've only been doing this for 4 years. The knife = bitter cutting cold and the fork is a light winter.

Has anyone used persimmon seeds to forecast the weather?

I split a seed a few weeks ago and it was a spoon - cold wet winter, snow. The last time I saw this was in the fall of 2020, ahead of the worst winter storm Texas ever had.
View attachment 21337

I mostly see the knife and I've never seen the fork, but I've only been doing this for 4 years. The knife = bitter cutting cold and the fork is a light winter.
I don't have too check.."cold wet" is our regular winter weather..as dry as its been this summer, I'm looking for a real wet one..

I got a reminder of a picture i posted on FB in 2010 with a spoon.... lol..... man, i sure hope thats not what we get this year.

Good as any forecasting nowadays. Computer forecast models are so messed with bad inputs trying to prove global warming they are useless.

What do the wooly caterpillars say?

I've seen tons of woolly worms here. They're just as confused as the weathermen are. No 2 are even remotely similar. All brown, all black, brown head and tail with black in the middle, black on both ends with brown in the middle, etc.
I will say, I'd never heard about the knife in a persimmon seed, just fork means forking bedding (warm, wet, and muddy) and spoon means shoveling snow.

Where I am this La Nina is making the forecasters look good. Every bit of rain forecast turns up right on cue. The only part they get wrong is the amount, 1-5mm turns into 10-20mm. I'm starting to wish they get it wrong again.

Ken

Texas State Ag News weather man Dan Brounoff said last week that our weather patterns are shaping up exactly like it did in fall 2020 - winter 2021. His side remark - remember winter storm Uri?

No I have never used persimmon seeds to forecast the weather. I usually just see how it turns out when it gets here. Wooly worms lied to me too many times so now I have thrown all the folklore out the window.

hurleyjd.
Theoretically, native persimmons will be a 50/50 split of fruiting females and non-fruiting males. But the distribution is not necessarily 'even'... you may have a bunch of males - or clonal clumps from lone male trees that have thrown up multiple root suckers well away from the original trunk.

hurleyjd.
Theoretically, native persimmons will be a 50/50 split of fruiting females and non-fruiting males. But the distribution is not necessarily 'even'... you may have a bunch of males - or clonal clumps from lone male trees that have thrown up multiple root suckers well away from the original trunk.
What about the non binaries, the gender neutral trees and those males/female trees that identify as a different gender?

(Things are so screwed up nowadays, that if Melville was alive today writing the whale story he would call it "Maybe Dick" instead of Moby Dick)

Well, since you brought it up, GB, there are some polygamodioecious ('bisexual') persimmons.

The Garretson/Early Golden family of persimmon cultivars are widely noted for spontaneously pushing out branches on female trees that sport male &/or 'perfect' flowers (which have functional anthers and ovaries).
There are a few 'bisexual' male persimmon varieties out there, like 'Szukis' and 'F-100' that produce male &/or perfect flowers ... so, they pollenize females AND produce fruit. Most of these have been selected, by persimmon breeders, out of the Early Golden family line.

I cut one open out of curiosity. Looks like a knife. I'll see if I can find one from a different tree and see if it tells the same story.

I know of about a dozen persimmon trees on this property and I think they all produce fruit. I'll have to look a little closer for male trees.

Latest posts