Permanent High Tensile Electric Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
Working on my fence plan and I have a question.

How big a deal is it to have access only to one side of the fence? The fence is on my property line. The other side does not have space to drive a tractor, or a four-wheeler. I can walk over there, but I cannot drive any kind of vehicle on the other side.

Thanks

I've heard different opinions. Mine is, put that fence right on the line. If you don't, eventually the fence WILL be the line. Without a fence to tell them, people soon forget where the actual line is and assume the property is theirs. I've never had a need to drive down both sides of a fence.

It's convenient if you have enough room to run a 5 ft bush hog to knock down weeds, especially if you don't spray enough to keep them down. I never make my bottom wire hot either. I like for the cows to do a little trimming on their side of fence. Most of my fence is row crops on the opposite side,and they can't get right next to fence,so have just enough room to run a small tractor and hog on that side..too much area to spray.

I run 3 strands of high tensile all hot. And put a spring and tensioner on each end of every run. I only work and gave acess on one side of the fence in most places. A mixture of diesel fuel, roundup, and remedy sprayed yearly will keep everything under control.

I like high tensile fencing ... I have some fences 12" off the line for some places and others I can drive around no matter what I keep the line portion sprayed down and a t post on the lines.

HDRider":2d9q2ddj said:
Working on my fence plan and I have a question.

How big a deal is it to have access only to one side of the fence? The fence is on my property line. The other side does not have space to drive a tractor, or a four-wheeler. I can walk over there, but I cannot drive any kind of vehicle on the other side.

Thanks
Chemicals are your friend.
If you can walk over there, you can spray over there (assuming that land owner allows it) -- you don't even have to physically get on that side of the fence.

Usually I would try to work with other property owner. On a true permanent fence it is traditional to split it. Unfortunately that tradition is dying fast. Couple of things. Whatever your situation with neighbor, things change. You may not always have access to other side. And that's a problem with electric. If you move the in a few feet. Like a previous post said. Permanently mark and maintain the property line. Or in time you could lose it. I would strongly recommend a conventional fence on property line. You can add electric on your side

I have lots of fence that I can (if I'm lucky) only access one side.. I'd put it within a few inches of the line.. Cows will eat the weeds off it until it's OK to put a hotwire on it..

Around here a "legal fence" is 5 strands with stay sticks, HT, barbed both qualify.. you may want to check your local regs on the definition of a legal fence... I have less trouble with my HT fences than my barbed... in the future I'm going to use it more.. and you get WAY more per weight on a roll, you don't cut yourself up installing it, and it's a breeze to retighten.. all good points in my books

I'm torn right now. Most everything I have is in some variation of anywhere from 2-5 strand HT electrified fence...conundrum is: I have approx 45 ac woods with a 20 ac pasture on either end,85 ac total. I want to fence in the perimeter of the woods this year to connect everything up and can not decide if I want to go HT, or barbed wire. Been reading these fencing posts and can't make up my mind. Advantage for HT is falling trees and and limbs, easier to repair retighten. Advantage barbed wire no spraying/ cutting fence line to keep a suitable charge. HT is less line posts and will last longer than BW. Woods are fairly rugged and not easily traversed with utv for spraying, etc. Haven't done the full on cost comparison yet.. any thoughts, critiques welcomed

bball":qmhlfy40 said:
I'm torn right now. Most everything I have is in some variation of anywhere from 2-5 strand HT electrified fence...conundrum is: I have approx 45 ac woods with a 20 ac pasture on either end,85 ac total. I want to fence in the perimeter of the woods this year to connect everything up and can not decide if I want to go HT, or barbed wire. Been reading these fencing posts and can't make up my mind. Advantage for HT is falling trees and and limbs, easier to repair retighten. Advantage barbed wire no spraying/ cutting fence line to keep a suitable charge. HT is less line posts and will last longer than BW. Woods are fairly rugged and not easily traversed with utv for spraying, etc. Haven't done the full on cost comparison yet.. any thoughts, critiques welcomed

My opinion must be known by now. But here you go. If it is to be a permanent fence. Build a go...od barbwire fence. You can easily reinforce it with electric. If you feel the need. Electric fence is great for teaching cattle to respect a fence. Or for temporary fence. It amazes me how folks will go to the end of the earth to buy the best blood lines, expensive mineral, the best hay money can buy. Then surround it with a fence that can be rendered useless by a few wet stalks of grass. Or a flash of lighting.
Now you might scratch yourself handling the barbwire. But if that scares you, you might be in the wrong business. ;-)

On HT, I usually charge the 3rd wire of a 5 wire fence.. I don't spray for anything, and don't see the obsession about it.. You don't need it hot when there's lots of grass, and by the time the grass is sparse they've eaten off the fence enough to put the hot wire on it..

I really don't see how barbed wire would have any advantages... just as hard to spray, and harder to cut around.

For me the bane of my existence here is that along every fenceline, I also have irrigation pipe, so mowing is a dangerous idea.

If a few wet stalks of grass short out the fence, you need to look at your setup again.. either a better charger or better grounds

In MO for insurance liability it has to be 4 foot high, otherwise it's not considered a fence. Neighbor found out about that little gem when one of his heifers got out and was hit by a truck. Fence was half down and only about 3 foot high. It;s now brand new 5 starnd barbed.

fenceman":1pcfu8yz said:
bball":1pcfu8yz said:

My opinion must be known by now. But here you go. If it is to be a permanent fence. Build a go...od barbwire fence. You can easily reinforce it with electric. If you feel the need. Electric fence is great for teaching cattle to respect a fence. Or for temporary fence. It amazes me how folks will go to the end of the earth to buy the best blood lines, expensive mineral, the best hay money can buy. Then surround it with a fence that can be rendered useless by a few wet stalks of grass. Or a flash of lighting.
Now you might scratch yourself handling the barbwire. But if that scares you, you might be in the wrong business. ;-)

Yes sir, im blaming you for even getting me to think about changing from HT around the woods. :lol2: If it was only grass, it wouldnt be any trouble, but briars and thorn bushes can sure ground out a 50 mile charger with the best of grounds in good moist soil. Especially ran out over a couple miles of HT. Also get a bunch of viney stuff that loves the fence too. Just a ton of maintenance to fight, would have to walk it to spray it.

Been running electric perimeter fences on 240 acres for over 20 yrs with no problems. We spray under them once a years and have had to replace the Gallagher charger once.

While I generally like a nice barbed wire perimeter fence I see a lot of fences in my area that are leaning out from cows pushing on them. The last fence I built around home was 4 wire HT with 2nd and 3rd hot and I really like it. But the next fencing project will be 1-1/2 hours away and I don't know if I trust electric fences enough so I plan on 5 strands barbed wire with a hot wire inside.

Grew up with barbed wire and some net wire. Would never go back to it.

For the past 20 years, have run cows/horses on 110 acres of pasture surrounded and subdivided with electrified HT; about a mile of it running through the woods(40 ft in from the wood's edge). Easy to repair/tighten; much more issues with stuff growing up into it, draining current, out in the open than in the trees - really only have to remove the occasional limb or tree that falls on it - and it just pops right back up. Have never felt the need to spray the fenceline through the woods... but runs out in the open need some spot-spraying every year.

On my second fence energizer... first one only lasted about 15 years. Yeah, a lightning hit can take it out, and long-term power outage could be a problem - but I've had less repair issues and fewer escape events with electrified HT fencing than I ever did with barbed wire fences.

I think with any electrified fence, you ought to keep it hot whenever grass grows.. ours will kill any weed that touches it.. I won't electrify anything under the 3rd wire unless it's been 'cleaned' by the cows already.

ChrisB":3dnh3lj5 said:
While I generally like a nice barbed wire perimeter fence I see a lot of fences in my area that are leaning out from cows pushing on them. The last fence I built around home was 4 wire HT with 2nd and 3rd hot and I really like it. But the next fencing project will be 1-1/2 hours away and I don't know if I trust electric fences enough so I plan on 5 strands barbed wire with a hot wire inside.

Grass will hold home cattle in, but it also attracts the continuous grazing neighbors. All bets are off for a couple days with new cattle.

Put a separate energizer on the 2nd and the 3rd if you want to sleep better.

Latest posts