Performance Breeders bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Pretty good article. It is nice to see breeders get along and have the same goals in mind. To them it looks like great cattle with the customer first.

Learn to read, frankie.

It's 41% CAB, the rest of the 50% were prime, and obviously YG 4 or 5, or they would have been CAB, too.

Notice that they never gave ANY YG percentages? Angus guys never give YG percentages, it makes them look bad.

mtnman

BRG":170mjfko said:
Pretty good article. It is nice to see breeders get along and have the same goals in mind. To them it looks like great cattle with the customer first.
These are good people to do business with. They have top quality cattle too and will stand behind them.

mtnman":1r1pr2yr said:
Learn to read, frankie.

It's 41% CAB, the rest of the 50% were prime,

Learn to add, mtnman. "50% CAB or better." Prime is better. I guess you didn't know that? :roll:

and obviously YG 4 or 5, or they would have been CAB, too.

Not obvious to me.

Notice that they never gave ANY YG percentages? Angus guys never give YG percentages, it makes them look bad.

mtnman

A YG4 Choice will still bring you more $$ than a YG 2 Select. I sure hate it that my breed is looking so bad. Someone should tell all those guys lining up to buy black hided cattle at the sale barn. The fools, they must not know what they're doing by paying more for them than similar other colored cattle. :D

Frankie wrote:
A YG4 Choice will still bring you more $$ than a YG 2 Select.

Premium Gold Angus Beef Grid
Yield Grade 1-Select = +$2.00/cwt. PREMIUM PAID

Yield Grade 2-Select = +$2.00/cwt. PREMIUM PAID

Yield Grade 3 = Base

Yield Grade 4- Select/Choice = (Minus) -$14.00/ cwt.

In other words, it depends on the Choice/Select spread which if approx.$12.00/cwt, which would make the YG1/Select worth $4.00 more per cwt than YG4/Choice

MikeC":1461xy2x said:
Frankie wrote:

Yield Grade 3 = Base

In other words, it depends on the Choice/Select spread which if approx.$12.00/cwt, which would make the YG1/Select worth $4.00 more per cwt than YG4/Choice

Yes, it depends on the spread and which grid. Lauras Lean will kill you on a YG 4. Your grid doesn't show us just a Choice price, only a Select/Choice. There's a difference, especially on a generic grid, not a branded beef one. This link is the grid I uses most often, a USDA grid.

It shows Choice as the baseline. YG 1, 2, or 3 get no premiums or discounts. Above a YG 3 is $1 discount. You have to go above YG 4 to find a serious discount. I'm not saying YG isn't important; it is very important. But YG can be improved by feeding properly. That's why CAB licenses feedlots to feed their Angus type cattle seperate from other breeds that take longer to finish. If the animal doesn't have the genetic makeup to marble, you can't feed it long enough to make it grade.

The USDA Premiums and discounts site: http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

The performance breeders are a class act. You will drive a lot of miles to find better people. We have done business with Dave and Yvonne Hinman and they are what the cattle business is about.

When I first met Dave he said that Angus have enough marbling they were trying to have them with more REA and %RP.

The bulls they have been using have followed that criteria

SEC":tnvnwvjv said:
The performance breeders are a class act. You will drive a lot of miles to find better people. We have done business with Dave and Yvonne Hinman and they are what the cattle business is about.
The bulls they have been using have followed that criteria
Bill and Jennifer Davis are also as good and honest as they come.
You may find some as good, but I doubt that you'll find any better.

frankie;

You've got pluck, I'll give you that.

Those Prime, YG 4 and 5 carcasses are worth less than the CAB, frankie. But they put it in there to look good.

If they would have put only CAB, it would have been 41%. If the other 9% would have been CAB, they would have said so.

WHY? Because a CAB is worth more than a Prime YG 4 or 5. So, why would they put prime in there? Because they were disqualified from CAB for being too fat!!!!!

They made an argument to make them look good.

If they were Prime YG 1,2,3 we dang sure would have heard about it, frankie!!!!!!!!!! As they are worth more than CAB, but PRime YG 4 and 5 are not.

Do you really think that all of us are that stupid???

They had 41% CAB, and 9% prime yg 4 or 5, which are worth less than CAB. It's a no-brainer frankie. At least to a non-angus breeder.

Quit drinking the kool-aid.

mtnman

Frankie":1ohd69t1 said:
MikeC":1ohd69t1 said:
Frankie wrote:

Yield Grade 3 = Base

Yes, it depends on the spread and which grid. Lauras Lean will kill you on a YG 4. Your grid doesn't show us just a Choice price, only a Select/Choice. There's a difference, especially on a generic grid, not a branded beef one. This link is the grid I uses most often, a USDA grid.

It shows Choice as the baseline. YG 1, 2, or 3 get no premiums or discounts. Above a YG 3 is $1 discount. You have to go above YG 4 to find a serious discount. I'm not saying YG isn't important; it is very important. But YG can be improved by feeding properly. That's why CAB licenses feedlots to feed their Angus type cattle seperate from other breeds that take longer to finish. If the animal doesn't have the genetic makeup to marble, you can't feed it long enough to make it grade.

The USDA Premiums and discounts site: http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/lm_ct155.txt

Laura's Lean Beef will kill you on more than just YG4's!!!

Frankie":3swhfkez said:
Your imagination isn't a substitute for facts.
Why pay any attention to mtnman's raving. just ignore him. He may go away and go visit MARC when he runs out of squeezings..

LOL, you two are a riot.

Safety in numbers, I guess.

Typical, don't have a leg to stand on, so better stick together. Mindless whimpering is pretty typical of Angus breeders today. If they don't like it, or it doesn't go their way, they just talk bad about. Then they all jump on the bandwagon.

Are you guys that stupid, to think that commercial folks won't eventually figure it out?

How are those Chianina cross Hoff cattle working for you there, LA4?

mtnman

You can think what you want to think, but when you start selling 100+ bulls and average $4000+ per bull, then you can make acusations, and No I am not a black angus man. Just know the people and the program you are talking about. They are successful and so are their customers, otherwise they wouldn't keep coming back to them year after year.

mtnman":173b51ag said:
frankie;

If they would have put only CAB, it would have been 41%. If the other 9% would have been CAB, they would have said so.

Go back and read what Frankie said about CAB and Prime. If you're still confused, ask any middle school Geometry teacher to explain the whole square/rectangle concept to you.

You really should be confined to the Beginners Board (at best).

Latest posts