perennial rye

Help Support CattleToday:

bball

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success broadcast spreading perennial rye and then going over it with a cultipacker afterwards. I realize this is less than ideal, but im running out of time and have 20 acres we cleared this winter and would like to get something going on it. The ryegrass comes on quick and i was hoping cultipacking would give me enough soil contact/seedbed compaction to get it started. ??? Any thoughts appreciated.

You'll get a better stand with the cultipacker than without. The cultipacker also helps smooth out the ground. A chain drag smoothes out the ground better but it messes up the seed distribution.

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to have half a shot this way. Sounds like it should go.

Don't no about perennial. We use annual every fall. I like to use a drill.not a no till just a old vanbrunt. Drill it into Grazed down pasture. Getting it in to soil a little bit makes a big difference if it gets dry. If you get enough rain anything will work.You can sling it out on a gravel road and get a stand with enough rain