Percentage of Protein for feed??

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
I tried a search and must not have keyed in the right words. Can someone tell me how much protein (ballpark of course) should be in beef cattle feed?

Or if this has been beat to death already, some key words for a search.

Thanks much.

What are you feeding (feeder calves, cows, calves, bulls)? Requirements are different for each as well as for goal for the animals.

I think you will find many different percentages of protein in feed for cattle, whether it be for calves, cows, or bulls. Around here, we have 12,14,15,16,20, 25, 36 and 38% cubes for grazing cattle. Different type feeds for show cattle as well.Also have creep feed that can be bought that is 12-36% protein.
There is also liquid feed that can be 20+ precent protein. I personally use a 26% liquid feed during the winter months, and feed a 14 or 20% creep feed for the calves in feeder bins. I dont feed as much protein during the early thru late summer months, since the grasses usually have the protein needed. (that is unless the hot summer months get very dry and the quality goes down)

Let's see (I'm new with the terminology) I guess right now they are considered feeder calves (yearlings?) both heifer and steer. We will be breeding the heifers with our bull and the steers will be this Falls/next Springs' freezer.

We've been feeding at 18% for all and I was wondering if they were getting too much protein. Our hay was not top quality this past winter.

Feed?

You talking as in feed lot or as in hay or what?

We run our bales in stacks according to feed value.

The low grade stuff gets fed out in the fall and we increase the quality as we run towards calving.

What has worked very well for us cow calf types is as follows:

7% protein hay - yeah the poor stuff - gets fed from Sept - Nov.

9- 11% gets fed out through Dec - Feb.

12% and anything better gets fed out from Mar - till they go on grass in late May or early June.

They get free access to mineral and salt year round.

When the temp drops below minus 30 or so we throw them corn - whole, cracked or cleanings - whatever is the cheapest. They get about 4 pounds per head.

When the temp rises we cut them off. We never bed with straw - we never provide shelters other than cedar bush - they sleep on snow or the waste hay.

Calves are born with weights from 80 - 100 plus pounds and we seldom have to help.

There you go - if you are feeding out for slaughter it is a whole different ball game.

This has provided healthy, strong animals for us and almost a zero lice problem in the spring.

You want another take on this contact Aaron - he does something similar to us and he lives in what most might call tough country.

He breeds to grow an animal that does well on hay only - seen pics of his animals and they are good ones.

He posts seldom but reads often - you might try a PM to him.

Call your local feed outfit - they will often provide information and testing for free if you buy your supplements from them.

Bez>

CowgirlUpNY":s0cg03zx said:
Let's see (I'm new with the terminology) I guess right now they are considered feeder calves (yearlings?) both heifer and steer. We will be breeding the heifers with our bull and the steers will be this Falls/next Springs' freezer.

We've been feeding at 18% for all and I was wondering if they were getting too much protein. Our hay was not top quality this past winter.

18% is probably not too much.. just keep an eye on them for bloating, if you are keeping them penned up. Hay is mainly for pushing the turds out anyway.. (sorry for the crudeness) but its true.

Limomike":3e9ngout said:
CowgirlUpNY":3e9ngout said:

18% is probably not too much.. just keep an eye on them for bloating, if you are keeping them penned up. Hay is mainly for pushing the turds out anyway.. (sorry for the crudeness) but its true.
That is some info. I was unaware of.
I may be wrong, and please correct me, but I have always heard that cattle can only use 12% protein. So if one is feeding 18% there should be something in the feed to combine with or a lower protein hay would work.

novatech":28w7bw3g said:
Limomike":28w7bw3g said:
CowgirlUpNY":28w7bw3g said:

That is some info. I was unaware of.
I may be wrong, and please correct me, but I have always heard that cattle can only use 12% protein. So if one is feeding 18% there should be something in the feed to combine with or a lower protein hay would work.

That's correct Novatech. Beef Cattle as a rule can only utilize about 12-14% Protein. The rest is a waste.

Wait a minute now. It's not as simple as putting up any particular percentage protein feed and letting it go as the gospel.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

1300 lb lactating cows' needs = 2 lbs protein per day
(from memory)

12 lbs. per of the day of the 18% feed as opposed to 24 lbs of the 9% feed. (hay notwithstanding)

Some people feed a distillers grain that is 30-40%. Just know how much total protein your animal needs and adjust accordingly.

MikeC":158rpmc5 said:
Wait a minute now. It's not as simple as putting up any particular percentage protein feed and letting it go as the gospel.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

1300 lb lactating cows' needs = 2 lbs protein per day
(from memory)

12 lbs. per of the day of the 18% feed as opposed to 24 lbs of the 9% feed. (hay notwithstanding)

Some people feed a distillers grain that is 30-40%. Just know how much total protein your animal needs and adjust accordingly.

I have to agree. But every question and answer brings up another question. So I did a little googleing and found a great link on the rumin system
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/liv ... 91-066.htm
The section on Protein Digestion talkes about the two types of protein. So it is not only how much but also how much of each type.

i feed a 16% corn soybean mill mix to my animals feed it to heifers, and steers i also feed this to my hogs. i was thinking of adding some distillars grain in my ration. what does it add and will it effect my hogs. and how much should be added in a 2000lb feed mix of corn and soybean mill

The second cut alfalfa last year tested at 21% and that is what they got fed because that is what we had. Always keep the good stuff for the third trimester and into nursing and try to have enough in the barn to last until the pasture comes in in late April. DMc

I know its the wrong time of year to be concerned about feeding hay and how nuch protein to supplement with, but it may help the people in drought. I found a very informitive article about this and thought I would pass it on. It also answers a question for me as to why anyone would feed more than the 12% max that the cattle can use.

http://www.landandlivestockpost.com/sto ... 205018.php

Herefordcross":2pl8z22i said:
Not only is protein important, but, fat content is as well. Too much fat content adds a lot of fat in heifers bags. We try to stay around 4% +\-
Fat deposition is more a result of excess calories, not merely fat content.

The right type of fat is an excellent source of calories, if formulated and fed correctly.

I will assume that one must balance the ration according to what one is feeding it to, replacement heifers, cows with calves, steers,etc,and for what reason, maintainance,weight gain,etc. According to the site I mentioned earlier it also must be balanced with the quality of hay or forage they are being fed, and what type of protein, urea, or organic.