Peppy San Badger

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a beautiful buckskin mare out of a Peppy San Badger descendent, Holy San Prom. She is absolutely calm, but more cowy than any horse I've met, except for her sire. She was a dream to train. She is also a very affectionate, people oriented horse. My husband picked her out as a baby and started lobbying to buy her. When she was a weanling, we had saved the cash and went over to see if we could buy her. The only downside to the transaction was that the husband forgot his wife had mentioned she had decided to keep her. The wife was out of town the night we bought the filly. Our friend told us later that he was in a lot of trouble when his wife got home. The filly's mother had slipped her foal for the first time that year and they were holding their breath she would breed again so they could have one more foal out of her. She did and they got a nice baby.

This mare was the first horse I had ever done the ground training on. I asked lots of questions, and worked her a couple of hours about every other day for much of the summer. When I took her to the trainer (folks I had bought her from originally), he saddled her and let her stand for about an hour. She never protested, just licked her lips.

After that first hour, he smiled and said he was going to try getting on her. He took her over to the round pen, worked her for about 5 minutes, then climbed on. She just stood there. He nudged her with his heels and clucked her on, but she didn't move. I told him I had probably desensitized her to a fault by thumping on her sides with my hands, so when I told him she knew her voice commands, he told her to step. She started around the pen in a nice walk. He did the same for trot and canter. By the time he whoa'd her, he was laughing with joy. Then he started trying to get her to back, using all the body english he could muster. I reminded him she knew her voice commands. He looked surprised, then told her to back. She backed the circumference of the 45 foot round pen without complaint. There's not a lazy bone in her. She's just a very, very calm horse, as are her sire and dam.

We spent the day on the mountain last weekend, helping to gather and drive 2000 head of cattle down the mountain. She went to work with attention to detail. We didn't leave any cows on the mountain, to my knowledge. At least, we didn't leave any in any of the pastures we worked! :D

She was to be my husband's horse, but he gave her to me a couple of years ago for Christmas. I was astounded. But, he knew I was riding an Arab who was very well trained, but who had more energy than I did. And, my knees were starting to give me trouble. I'm very appreciative of his caring and thoughfulness. She has been the perfect horse for me. My knee started really bothering me last October after the yearly roundup, and progressed to knee surgery in January, then again on the same knee in June. So, she hadn't been ridden more than a couple of times for an hour or so since last year. She carried me well, despite the nearly one year gap in riding. She's 5 now, and will be in our family for life.

I bred my Two Eyed Jack granddaughter to a son of Gray's Starlight and grandson to Freckles Playboy this year. I'm real excited to see the results.

His name is Power Proof.
The place also had a horse named San JO Lena that I am considering for next year.

I just started breeding my mare so I don't know anything about temp. or anything like that.

Heres a few pictures of a Mr. San Peppy breeding little black mare I have....

I had a couple of AWOL calves today that had escaped thru a fence break in the creek...Such a beautiful day I decided to take my little 3 year old black mare- Coaly...Hadn't rode since my surgery- and she had only been rode a few times this summer, since I don't like to ride them too hard when they are young- wait until at least 4 ( and before anyone else says it- I know we both could use a diet and some more work ;-) :lol: )... Anyway Grandma said she didn't have any picture of me and Coaly so when we got back she snapped a couple...

CoalieandDick1.jpg

Even tho she hasn't been rode much this summer, she was a perfect lady- and seemed upset when the calf chasing was done...Will start using her a little more this fall for some of the sortings at the neighbors...With the Mr. San Peppy, Mano Blanco, Charlie Duster bloodlines she has she can't help but like working cows....

CoalieandDick4.jpg

She only stands a little over 14 hands- and won't be much taller....Perfect horse for an old fat man :lol: ....

CoalieandGabe2.jpg

Since Gabe was the first to ride her when she was a yearling, him and her get along pretty good......

Latest posts