Peppy San Badger

Help Support CattleToday:

don't get me wrong their great horses bought a ol san peppy mare a several years ago to raise a few colts on she was in horrible shape but i only gave 200 for her. got her in good shape she was around 25 years old at that time and one day i decided to ride her man you could tell she once was full of pI$$ and vinegar. sold her before ever raised a colt

I've got a mare that has some Peppy San Badger in her background, actually her name is Vigorous Peppy :shock: ,which would lead you to think she is fiesty but she ain't. She is a good cow horse though, and will probably end up being my little girls horse in a few years. I will have to say this for her too, she reins better than any horse I've ever had before. Bareback with a halter and lead rope off to just one side and you can take her anywhere in the world. Left, right, stop, spin, back it don't matter she'll do it.

Other than this one experience, I've heard they make good working cowboy type horses.

By Mr.San Peppy,out of Sugar Badger(Gray Badger)They are a hand fullI am old eneough to have ridden GR.sons and Daughters of him and they could really get in your pocket..King Ranch raised.Ridden by Buster Welch.If the right cross on mares nice horses if not.You had your hands full.They have about 50miles in them and tuff as they come.Most will be good looking and have good bone and feet.But as time goes they are farther back on the papers.Real cowy and can run.When I worked for Bill Freeman (Smart Little Lena).I had a full brother to Little Peppy in my string and he wasn't worth 8 rotten eggs.bucked everyday and stayed bowed up the rest of the time.But sons and daughters out of the Doc Bar,ranch mare cross were pretty nice but took a lot of riding to get them on the ground I have a horse now that is by a son of Peppy out of a Daughter of Doc O Lena.,Out of a Peppy ,Quin Sabe mare.He watches you pretty close but is a real athalete and can run a lot.Right cross they are good, wrong cross and you have your hands full.

I've got a filly in the barn out of Peppy's line. She will definitely watch a cow! And it didn't take much to have her tap dancin in front of one either. Darn nice when your riding out pairs.

clampitt":3r779390 said:
By Mr.San Peppy,out of Sugar Badger(Gray Badger)They are a hand fullI am old eneough to have ridden GR.sons and Daughters of him and they could really get in your pocket..King Ranch raised.Ridden by Buster Welch.If the right cross on mares nice horses if not.You had your hands full.They have about 50miles in them and tuff as they come.Most will be good looking and have good bone and feet.But as time goes they are farther back on the papers.Real cowy and can run.When I worked for Bill Freeman (Smart Little Lena).I had a full brother to Little Peppy in my string and he wasn't worth 8 rotten eggs.bucked everyday and stayed bowed up the rest of the time.But sons and daughters out of the Doc Bar,ranch mare cross were pretty nice but took a lot of riding to get them on the ground I have a horse now that is by a son of Peppy out of a Daughter of Doc O Lena.,Out of a Peppy ,Quin Sabe mare.He watches you pretty close but is a real athalete and can run a lot.Right cross they are good, wrong cross and you have your hands full.

If you ever get a chance read about Mr San Peppy in the Quarterhorse Legends books. Really great reading and will tie in with allot of what has been said but give you a really good idea.

If a guy had a mare with the Peppy breeding what would be another line to breed her to to keep up the cutting ability and maybe improve the dispositions?

KMacGinley":3icz1rz8 said:
What are some of the qualities of horses from this line?
I tell you what.. the Gallo Del Cielos can sure buck. ;-)
However, once you get in their heads they are hard workers and won't do you wrong in the showpen.

KMacGinley":x7nc8jt2 said:
If a guy had a mare with the Peppy breeding what would be another line to breed her to to keep up the cutting ability and maybe improve the dispositions?

I used a Peppy bred stud on some of my Sugar Bars/ Mano Blanco ( another King Ranch bred stallion) bred mares and haven't had a one buck- real quiet, but they will definitely look at a cow...

Except the Peppy bred stud I have never bucked either- but he can flat leave you sitting on your hind pockets when working cattle if your not sitting right up and riding.....

I am breeding my Mr. San Peppy gr. daughters back to a Mr. San Peppy son. I'll take those daughters and breed them back to a Rooster son.

KMacGinley":1qm5omhe said:
it would be a crap shoot to make a guess as the new performance horses of this day and age. you might sacrifice alot of good traits to overcome the other

KMacGinley":h33er9ny said:
Look at Miss N Okie, Smart lil Richochet.

if yall get a chance look at the ear position on those great cow horses.especially the one buster welch is cutting on. thats a cow horse in action ;-)

Latest posts