People To Work With Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":3ori7zo8 said:
Running Arrow Bill":3ori7zo8 said:
"7. "Trainers know there is no future in working with them": What part of "We Pay $$ for training services" don't they understand?"

They can't advance their careers at all with it. If somebody wants a trainer for a cutting horse, roping horse, ranch horse, etc they are not going be impressed by the trainer having trained your Tennessee Walkers and Peruvian Pasos. It is a useless reference on most trainer's resume. Most do not have the patience to do what you want and many do not feel they have the necessary knowledge to do you a good job. Does Texas have a state horse council or something, like Alabama does? They probably do and they probably have some kind of all breeds show. I would go to that and spend as much time as possible talking to the Walker and Peruvian Paso trainers and owners as possible. They MIGHT know somebody who can do this. If that fails you may just want to raise Quarterhorses, Appaloosas, Paints, or Mustangs like the other people in your area.

Thanks for the insight!

To clarify, we are not in the business to raise horses... Wife and I have our TWH & PP, respectively as a mount. We (ill advised) bred both breeds to their respective purebloods. Ended up with very nice foals (have sold 2 of our 6 offspring so far) ...then, 20/20 hindsight...they have to be trained (oooooopppppppsssss!) and need to be sold... Have no interest in riding anything other than a gaited horse. There are QH's, Apps, Paints, etc., around here a dime a dozen...those people probably can't pay the feed & care bills for what they end up selling them for... Some very nice 2-3 yr old QH's around here that are trained in saddle are selling for $1,500 to 2,500. This scenario speaks for itself...

Appreciate the good responses y'all have given on this thread!

Guess the issue of a trainer sticking to one breed makes sense...its like a contractor building "tract homes" (one basic floor plan--don't have to re-learn another design...lol). More experience one has with one breed, the easier their job is, just train "by the numbers" so to speak.

I've placed advs in our local paper, on internet, contacted our breed associations for referrals, notices to feed stores, etc., to no avail. Our town is about 2,500 pop.; 3 other closest towns (within 35 miles) are between about 1,500 and 3,500 pop. Have contacted equine programs at colleges, high school ag programs...no luck. Put out word verbally to people around here that we do business with and others...no luck.

Almost getting paranoid about the horse thing... :( Like the "non-gaited horse people" think we are nuts and secretely hope we will fail with our horse efforts. Our Longhorn Cattle program is a similar "raised eyebrow" response; however, we are slowly convincing the skeptics of some of the advantages of Longhorns and have sold several bulls to area ranchers...

However, all of these people don't mind taking our money for feed, minerals, groceries, lumber, pipe, fencing material, gates, etc.

On the other hand, our horses are a pleasure to us, enjoy being around, occasionally riding, watching them, etc. They help to lower our blood pressure...lol. Will continue to have a limited number, trained or un-trained. However, our males (except one TWH Stallion) are gelded and our females are on "natural birth control" (aka abstinance...lol).

:compute: Let me introduce my self, I am the owner of :heart: WINDANCERS HORSEWHISPERS RESCUE RANCH, This is my first facility, I am willing too help train your young ones in return too build a few structures over here,along with $1200.00 month with a 3 horse limit. If you are still looking for help, contact Karen @ 505 753-7738> Have 40 acres with pasture of quality alfalfa which will be avail.a few hours a day,for more info please contact me; [/i][/b]<JUST A LITTLE INSIGHT(IT TAKES MONEY TOO MAKE MONEY IN THIS BUSINESS.( The horses I have trainned wanted too stay,[/list][/url]

Instead of remarking about whatever "quality" the Trainers you "commented on" working in your area is, possibly they have their own remarks. I, for one, am wondering why anyone would first purchase a Gaiited Horse and next, believe there would be any, let alone a selection of Trainers familar with them simply put, around, willing and capable of working this breed.

Should it or not also be reasonable to suspect that "basic" Training here as you request may be wrong with just any other type Trainer for these horses "starting off on the wrong hoof" to correctly achieve that distinctive gait, may cause more problems than not?

jackpotter":3su1gs04 said:
Instead of remarking about whatever "quality" the Trainers you "commented on" working in your area is, possibly they have their own remarks. I, for one, am wondering why anyone would first purchase a Gaiited Horse and next, believe there would be any, let alone a selection of Trainers familar with them simply put, around, willing and capable of working this breed.

Should it or not also be reasonable to suspect that "basic" Training here as you request may be wrong with just any other type Trainer for these horses "starting off on the wrong hoof" to correctly achieve that distinctive gait, may cause more problems than not?

FYI: All horses are generally trained in ground work, hoof care, grooming, leading, round pen, etc., the same. A horse is a horse in early stages of "training".

Second: Pureblood gaited horses inherit their gait...you don't have to "train" it. Collecting their gait comes when the are started under saddle.

Third: There are probably 15+ gaited breeds in the world (Peruvian Paso, TWH, Rocky Mountain Horse, Paso Fino, etc., etc.). There is an viable market for them, USA or Worldwide.

Fourth: There tens of thousands of gaited horses in the USA alone.

Fifth: Not everyone who is into horses wants or gets a QH to work cattle, etc.

Sixth: There are many people who ride horses that do not want to get their bones jarred riding a QH or other "traditional" bouncy breed. Gaited horses are also used in Therapeutic Riding Programs.

Seventh: Every breed has its place in the scheme of things.

I was reading your message and if you are looking for a Gated horse trainer I can help. I have been training Peruvian Pasos, Paso Fino, Arabian, ponies & Quarter horses for 20 years. I train by th Spanish philosophy method technique. I am looking for a long term commitment. Housing is a must. My horsemanship consists of show horses, full exhibition and cowboy dressage. If you want e-mail me at [email protected] and you can see my DVD.

I hope I can help!
Vishy

vishyhorsetraining":3c0633d2 said:
I was reading your message and if you are looking for a Gated horse trainer I can help. I have been training Peruvian Pasos, Paso Fino, Arabian, ponies & Quarter horses for 20 years. I train by th Spanish philosophy method technique. I am looking for a long term commitment. Housing is a must. My horsemanship consists of show horses, full exhibition and cowboy dressage. If you want e-mail me at [email protected] and you can see my DVD.

I hope I can help!
Vishy

Thanks for the info! However, we'd need at least 20 horses that needed training to afford such an activity. We usually only have 2 or 3 that need some training for a while. Since my original post, we've started dealing with a top TWH facility in East Texas (5 hours from here) that also has an excellent marketing program. They've already sold two of our horses for us. At present time only have one Peruvian Paso filly (yearling) that is in need of training...ground work for the next year... The PP doesn't get into "serious" training until they are 3 years old...they are slow to mature, both mind and body. :)

Running Arrow Bill":1zkaea90 said:
vishyhorsetraining":1zkaea90 said:

I hope I can help!
Vishy

Thanks for the info! However, we'd need at least 20 horses that needed training to afford such an activity. We usually only have 2 or 3 that need some training for a while. Since my original post, we've started dealing with a top TWH facility in East Texas (5 hours from here) that also has an excellent marketing program. They've already sold two of our horses for us. At present time only have one Peruvian Paso filly (yearling) that is in need of training...ground work for the next year... The PP doesn't get into "serious" training until they are 3 years old...they are slow to mature, both mind and body. :)

RAB, I have no experience with P.P.'s but I think they are beautiful horses! I was just curious as to why they need a year of ground work, or did I misunderstand your post?

Bill,

I'm glad to hear you have your issue resolved, sounds like you found a good source for your horse business (hobby). I know this has been a problem for you for quite a while.

Congrats,

Alan

Running Arrow Bill":35rw2jz5 said:
We're still at a loss around here to find anyone that is able, willing, and actually needs some $$ to do basic training & handling work with our Tennessee Walkers & Peruvian Pasos. Even having a hard time finding any breeding/training facilities within 350 miles that are taking any clients.

None that we have contacted around here want to bother with our horses and come here for 2-4 hours a week to work with them. Our horses are decent and don't have any nasty attitudes. But, these breeds need gentle, slow, patient training. The QH and related trainers/breeds just want to "slam, bang, thank you mam" in their "training"...and start riding them in a couple of days or weeks. NOT what we need or want.

Any ideas, suggestions out there????

If you want to haul your horses all the way to Oklahoma where I am at I will work with them all you want. Get them broke to death!

:cboy:

My husband and I have been trailriding, polebending, barrel racing, cattle rounding-up, etc, for 10 years with gaited horses. They WILL do it all. Within any breed, you'll get horses that will do it all, and horses that are happy only to do certain things.
My husband has 2 TWHs, older and younger, and I have a older Paso Fino and a young TWH. We have nothing against any other breed...we chose these for their smooth gaits for long hours in the saddle.
We have 'converted' many of our riding buddies to gaited horses, so smooth! However, in Vermont, non-gaited horses still rule, as most Western Pleasure shows do not allow for a gaited horse to do a running walk rather than a trot.

by the way i can understand your worries about someone under 18 working for you but there are ways around the insurance problems. and i agree that you shouldnt jugde people just on their age. Im not yet 18 and have trained 32 horses ( though 8 with help) in the last 3 years. I don't charge 5 2 hours a week on a broken horse is all) i have my own accident and injury cover, and can train for most things now. Its understandable that people have to make a living but some of the prices asked for training are unbelievable; i do it cause i love it. its hard work and some times it hurts like hell. but its rewarding.

I know a 16 year old girl that trains horses. She does pretty good and is getting better.

training a horse isnt just about knowledge, you have to love it and there are a lot if young girls around that do it or are learning. and younger people tend to learn quicker (no offense to the older generation) i dont think there is an age limite to do this (within reason of course) it has to be a passion, it does all depend on what sort of trainng you want to, there are lots of 16 year old girls who can brake horses but there are a lot more complicated stuff that they cant do cause they dont need to.

I have learned to pay the $ for a horse that is already train to do whatever you need it to do. The problem is most people want to save some dollars and buy a untrained horse. That is fine if you are a full time horse person or have lot of time on your hands. For the rest of us busy laymens.... buy a trained horse. It's more rewarding and cheaper in the long run.

If you need a cutting horse, find a good trainer, show up cold and ask to ride some of his horses for sale. Run them thru their paces, find a good one at a good price and cut the check. The next day you are cutting livestock. No training for 12 months, no BS.

If I have health problem with a cow that I don't understand....I call a vet, not my banker.

longhorn ranch I have to say that I dont agree with the fact that its more rewarding to buy a trained horse, theres nothing more rewarding than seeing you horse progress.
But i do agree that it depends what you want him for and if you have the time to train a horse. You are right when you say its fine for us that 'have a lot of time on our hands' it cant be easy when your working as well.

;-) I know a lot of experience horse handlers that simply
can not afford to board thier horses and have been forced
to sell them off because they don't have thier own place.

I would consider a barder system. Offer to board thier horse
for exchange in them working for you in handling yours.

Alot of people do that around here. It's not uncommon for
a guy/gal to feed and work with 7-10 horses for a pasture
or stall for his.

Try a sign or ad at your local feed and tact stores.

Just an idea.

DeeDee

Latest posts