People To Work With Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
We're still at a loss around here to find anyone that is able, willing, and actually needs some $$ to do basic training & handling work with our Tennessee Walkers & Peruvian Pasos. Even having a hard time finding any breeding/training facilities within 350 miles that are taking any clients.

None that we have contacted around here want to bother with our horses and come here for 2-4 hours a week to work with them. Our horses are decent and don't have any nasty attitudes. But, these breeds need gentle, slow, patient training. The QH and related trainers/breeds just want to "slam, bang, thank you mam" in their "training"...and start riding them in a couple of days or weeks. NOT what we need or want.

Any ideas, suggestions out there????

Yeah - move closer to my place!

I have three very good trainers living in this house - all women and all VERY patient.

Mind you, I did teach them their patience. :D

Kidding aside, it is tough now-a-days. Folks that are good with animals are few and far between - then again if it was a monied profession there would be no lack of folks doing it. Probably the wrong kind of folks tho'.

Regards

Bez

Bez":2dh58xb9 said:
Yeah - move closer to my place!

I have three very good trainers living in this house - all women and all VERY patient.

Mind you, I did teach them their patience. :D

Kidding aside, it is tough now-a-days. Folks that are good with animals are few and far between - then again if it was a monied profession there would be no lack of folks doing it. Probably the wrong kind of folks tho'.

Regards

Bez

Dang...too cold up in your area!

Speaking of $$. The "certified" trainers (you know about them and who they worship...lol) will come to your place for a 1, 2, 3, or 5 day clinic for $1,000 a day + expenses. Not an option for us (and most people). Pretty expensive bandaid :roll:

I'm willing to pay $25 to $50 an hour for a part-time effort for someone. But, no takers around here. Our farrier charges $35 a horse and usually makes about $250 for a 2 hour visit here; but, he doesn't work with horses otherwise. Haven't tried putting adv. in several area papers, however. Might try that...but probably wasting my money...lol.

The horse people that do take outside horses for training/boarding are charging $500 to $800 a month per horse...if you can find one that is willing to take your horses. The good trainers/places are so dang caught up in showing that they rarely want to bother with other's horses.

Your pay prices are amazing to me - my girls are happy if someone picks them up, feeds them a meal and maybe lets them ride a couple of broke animals for an hour of free time.

Once Wife had a nice bridle given to her as a gift. She also made almost a hundred bucks taking a horse right from "never seen a saddle through to safe to get on but too stupid to do much". :D

They do it because they love it - money seldom enters into it. Most often they end up in our fields and are broke here. I do not think they have ever charged anyone for this.

Then again this is a hobby not a job. Never more than a couple three animals per year.

Funny thing is I have two on the property that have never been ridden. They are the front yard lawn ornaments and pets. Good grass trimmers as well.

I guess it is similar to that saying - "the shoemakers kids always go barefoot".

Bez

Bez is not too far off, can you haul your horses to a good trainer? 300 or 400miles away? I learned the hard way a good trainer is hard to find. also is much cheaper to haul then fix thge problems.

Alan

Running Arrow Bill":2a9wwq3g said:
We're still at a loss around here to find anyone that is able, willing, and actually needs some $$ to do basic training & handling work with our Tennessee Walkers & Peruvian Pasos. Even having a hard time finding any breeding/training facilities within 350 miles that are taking any clients.

None that we have contacted around here want to bother with our horses and come here for 2-4 hours a week to work with them. Our horses are decent and don't have any nasty attitudes. But, these breeds need gentle, slow, patient training. The QH and related trainers/breeds just want to "slam, bang, thank you mam" in their "training"...and start riding them in a couple of days or weeks. NOT what we need or want.

Any ideas, suggestions out there????

I wish I had an answer for you, Bill. Friends of ours here in Utah are excellent trainers and breeders of Quarterhorses. When they can find time, they love to work on cutting. They have been kind enough to take me under their wing over the past 7 years or so and have taught me what I consider the basics. I will never be the caliber of trainer they are. I can ground train a colt, but am too old to be the first one on the back of that colt. So far any colts I've round pen trained ( and I've only worked with our own) have been calm and easy to ride without any bucking or other scary behavior. You are correct. Proper training takes time, and lots of it.

They have made friends with a German family who owns property in the area. The family's primary residence is in Germany, not the US. What is interesting is through this friendship my friends have hosted two girls, one each of two summers, who wanted to work and see the US. These girls have had a strong background in horse training and were in their late teens. The girls came to the US, worked hard for our friends for, I believe, room and board and the chance to see the US for a summer. They did a little traveling and attended western horse events in this area. They were great with the horses and started several colts. I think our friends have run out of luck for now, as there apparently are no comparable girls available to come out for this summer. They still receive Christmas cards and correspondence from the girls and have made lifelong friends.

I can't recall if you have the time or inclination to train. I guess you wouldn't be trying to hire someone if you had the time to do it yourself. I couldn't afford to hire someone to do all the training we needed to have done, although we have paid for training for our horses in the past. Our situation simply evolved to where we put up a good round pen and started learning how to do it ourselves. My husband and I find we each have strengths and weaknesses in different areas and rely on each other to pick up the slack when training any of our horses. We attend clinics when we can. We are fortunate in that our friends host clinics from time to time. They have had some big name trainers put on clinics and some lesser known trainers. We've gone to clinics with lesser known trainers and found some to be very knowledgeable trainers. Any clinics put on by our friends are strictly fundraisers for the 4H Horsemanship kids. The cost is a bit less, and the kids benefit greatly. During the clinics, the trainers work with our friends' colts, which is also a benefit to our friends.

We started our adult horse adventures with a really cowy Saddlebred gelding who, sadly, colicked and died when he was 14. My husband replaced him with an equally cowy Morgan gelding. The best horse I ever owned was and is my retired 25 year old Saddlebred/TWH cross. He's big, 5 gaited, and a gentleman. I've had him since he was 9. I'd give anything if he was young and rideable again. In place of that wish, he gets the best pasture and feed I can find for him. :heart: We also own a Saddlebred mare, an Arab gelding, a stout TB/QH cross ranch gelding, and my very special buckskin QH mare, who works cattle daily on her own. It's a good thing the cattle are on the other side of the corral fence. She's far above my caliber of riding skills, but was a gift from my husband and I am trying hard to improve my riding skills to match her heart and willingness and potential. When I say above my caliber of riding skills, I mean in potential, not difficulty.

Are you planning to work with these horses yourself in addition to the time spent by the person you hire? Just curious here, as I've found working a colt daily, or at least 3x a week, is important.

Are you looking for ground training only or riding, too? I've been able to teach a few young folks here how to do the basics of round penning. Their help has been invaluable. I also have a neighbor who has been willing to spend some time working our horses in exchange for me teaching him how to ground train his spoiled horse.

I suppose you have tried to locate a 4H Horsemanship group in your area? 4H and FFA kids can be one of your greatest resources. When I need to hire a kid to do any chore for me, I always look for the 4H and FFA kids first.

Attending local clinics has helped broaden our experience, plus introduced us to other like minded horse folks here. Some are local young people who would be willing to work with horses, too. I've even hired a couple of young men, brothers ages 11 & 12, who come over and groom horses for us, do general feeding and chores when we have to be gone, and simply are good, hard working 4H/Boy Scout kids. Because they can pick up the slack in some areas, I have more free time and energy to work with our horses myself.

Sorry to go on so much. Sometimes I tend to ramble. Hope there is a seed of an idea for you somewhere in what I wrote. You may find looking at solving your problem from a different perspective will help. I know we've had to become pretty creative as we've grown older. It might be the amount of money you offer isn't necessarily the solution to solving your problem. Finding a young person with enthusiasm, energy, and a willingness to work may substitute for a strong background in training, if you can spend some time showing them what you need.

I hope you can find a solution soon. This must be very frustrating for you. BTW - we were in your great state last week. We had a wonderful time visiting with relatives and took a drive through the hill country. My dad was born in the panhandle of Texas, but this is the first time I've visited the hill country. Texas is an amazing state.

Appreciate everyone's comments! Keep it up...helps a lot!

I am not considering any 4-H or High school kids due to our insurance package and not want anyone under the age of 18 to work here. Even though Texas equine law is good, it doesn't always protect one (can still end up in court or with a civil lawsuit if something happened).

I can only work at physical things about 3-6 hours a day with rest breaks. Wife does about same. She vaccinates, moves cattle, photographs animals, picks up & delivers livestock as needed, attends occasional show, mows pastures, feeds, and is involved in our marketing and breeding activities. I do repair & maintenance, mow, watering/irrigation, occasional feeding, advertising, accounting, website management. Our "non-physical time" is spent in mental & paperwork things. We have 42 head of cattle & 9 horses on our 23 acres--all seedstock registered. All activities considered we put in between 8 & 12 hours a day each. Our daily schedule is worked around the weather (moisture, wind, heat, cold, etc) and not unusual for something unexpected to come up that messes up your "hoped for" time with the horses. We do a lot of rotational grazing and moving animals on a weekly basis.

The training/ranch facilities within 4 to 8 hours drive from here that we have contacted are either not taking any new horses for training, their prices are way above the "going rate", or they are too busy showing & hauling their own horses to want to bother with outside horses. And, some places have not even bothered to return our calls or reply to our e-mails.

With all of our infrastructure now in place (new fences, sheds, corral, irrigation lines, well, etc) that we contracted out, perhaps I can get up enough energy to spend an hour or so every day doing something with our horses. I can only ride my Peruvian Paso mare due to health & experience limitations. Our others (PP & TWH I can't ride or they are too young or not saddle trained yet).

I know that you like the horses you have, BUT for the money you are going to spend getting one fully trained and broke so anyone can ride, You can more than likely buy a good dead broke horse for the same if not less money.

oscar p":18l4ybnv said:
I know that you like the horses you have, BUT for the money you are going to spend getting one fully trained and broke so anyone can ride, You can more than likely buy a good dead broke horse for the same if not less money.

True.

On other hand, we are hooked on the gaited horses. Neither one of us can tolerate the heavy bouncy, rocking ride of the non-gaited breeds. Our riding horses, TWH Stallion, PP Mare, TWH Mare are in the 10-12 yr old range. Our "Other" horses are offspring of our pureblood breeding stock (outside breedings for our Peruvian Paso mare). We don't need another horse to ride. We're not breeding for the 2005/2006 season. We're not into the "puppy mil" activity and will sell the young ones (in time) before we consider any new breedings.

We don't do roping, cutting, jumping, racing, trick-riding, or show events. Only horses for pleasure and/or trail. We're in a nitch market and realize this. The QH breeds and other non-gaited breeds are very numerous in our (and other locations) and a lot of competition and we don't want that market.

While there are numerous advertisements for "non-gaited" horses that abound for these horses ranging from $350 to $1500, we have no desires to get into that low end market (Of course, there are many, many non-gaited horses/breeds that sell for much more). For example, it costs just as much to feed and properly care for a healthy $250 horse as it does a healthy $25,000 horse.

Peruvian Pasos (of Spanish ancestry) have a 100% natural inherited gait (and there are fewer than 35,000 registered in the world). TWH also have a natural gait. Until the PP is about 3 yr old, they are only in ground work...not started under saddle until they are 3.5 to 4 yr. old. The TWH about 2 years sooner. We don't "break" our horses, only slowly work their bodies and minds using gentle methods so they have our (and other's) trust.

Have you tried contacting the breed associations for PP's and TWH's? Are there any publications that you subscribe to that have classifieds - people looking for this type of work perhaps? Are there shows for these breeds in your area that you could attend and meet people who specialize in training gaited horses? (Sorry if you already mentioned these, I skimmed quickly through these posts....)

I like your philosophy on training and trust, etc., well worth the time and effort....

Gale

Gale Seddon":3k76yxxk said:
Have you tried contacting the breed associations for PP's and TWH's? Are there any publications that you subscribe to that have classifieds - people looking for this type of work perhaps? Are there shows for these breeds in your area that you could attend and meet people who specialize in training gaited horses? (Sorry if you already mentioned these, I skimmed quickly through these posts....)

I like your philosophy on training and trust, etc., well worth the time and effort....

Gale

Breed associations have been essentially zilch help. One has list of 3 or 4 trainers...already knew about them. We subscribe to 3 or 4 horse magazines, no one looking for job. But, several places looking for "good" help.

Even tried contacting an area equine program at a college...no takers, no internship programs either to hook up with.

Bill, I sure wish we lived closer! I would love to have the job! I can't believe you can't find anyone. I would jump on that oppourtunity in a heart beat.

Sorry to give you the bad news, but you do not need to be in the horse business. I know that there are about 200 trainers living within 150 miles of your place. Have you ever thought that it might be you that is the problem and not those dumb old trainers. Your horses do not fit this country and the trainers here know that their is no future working with them. May be you should take a honest look at what you are trying to do, before you start to dog talk men that spent thier lives a-horseback making a living doing what you can't.

Sorry

I feel your pain, Have you tried posting adds on the net, such places as webpony, or equine.com, horsetopia.com. These adds are fairly cheap, and usally has good results. I feel that if you love your breed of horses and you are willing to put forth the $$$$ as you stated earlier than you will find the right person for your program. I do have to say that with the trainers in your area, that it probably has nothing to do with you or your horses, its just that most trainers either stick to one breed, or one disclipline. Every trainers goal is to have a great show record and by spending allot of time on horses that won't enhanced this is usally deemed not worth it. I am sure if you post a good add at your local tack shops, feed stores and show grounds, you should have quite a few people respond. I under stand the need for someone over 18 but never judge a persons tallents on there age. At the age of 16, I had 9 TB's in full training, 2 were stallions, and all of them were off the track. In my contract it was stated that I would carry my own medical insurance, and I signed a no fault contract with the owner of the horses. The pay I recieved was that there board was paid for and I got 1/3 of the selling price of the horse when they were sold. So maybe keep in mind that board could allso be an added atraction if the person has other horses. I wish you all the luck in the world and keep us posted on the outcome ;-)

T3Horse&Cattle Co.":3l0xzyoe said:
Sorry to give you the bad news, but you do not need to be in the horse business. I know that there are about 200 trainers living within 150 miles of your place. Have you ever thought that it might be you that is the problem and not those dumb old trainers. Your horses do not fit this country and the trainers here know that their is no future working with them. May be you should take a honest look at what you are trying to do, before you start to dog talk men that spent thier lives a-horseback making a living doing what you can't.

Sorry

Ok T3! I'll try to politely respond...

1. If there are about 200 trainers living with 150 miles of our place...where and how do you find them?

2. Agreed. Gaited horses do not "fit" the quarterhorse, ranching country programs: they do not cut, barrel, pole bend, rope, etc. They are strictly pleasure, trail, and related horses.

3. I was not bad-mouthing the non-gaited horse people or the horsemen/women who have spent their lives working with horses.

4. We are not in the "horse business." We are in the cattle business and have horses for our own pleasure but don't have the proper skills to correctly work with the foals, yearlings, and 2-3 year olds...we don't want to mess them up.

5. We have had 6 foals in the past 4 years...have sold 2. One 3 yr old offsite in training. Three are still here and need training.

6. Peruvian Pasos are slow to mature (don't start under saddle until 3+ years old), a spirited Spanish breed that is very sensitive to "traditional" horse training and will resist if patience is not used. Tennessee Walkers can be worked sooner and started under saddle as 2 year olds. Both breeds are ground worked as weanlings and 1 year olds the same as other breeds.

7. "Trainers know there is no future in working with them": What part of "We Pay $$ for training services" don't they understand?

8. We are not breeding our mares in 2005. If you can't get the offspring trained or sold (for at least a break-even price)...what's the purpose of re-breeding?

Running Arrow Bill said:
"7. "Trainers know there is no future in working with them": What part of "We Pay $$ for training services" don't they understand?"

They can't advance their careers at all with it. If somebody wants a trainer for a cutting horse, roping horse, ranch horse, etc they are not going be impressed by the trainer having trained your Tennessee Walkers and Peruvian Pasos. It is a useless reference on most trainer's resume. Most do not have the patience to do what you want and many do not feel they have the necessary knowledge to do you a good job. Does Texas have a state horse council or something, like Alabama does? They probably do and they probably have some kind of all breeds show. I would go to that and spend as much time as possible talking to the Walker and Peruvian Paso trainers and owners as possible. They MIGHT know somebody who can do this. If that fails you may just want to raise Quarterhorses, Appaloosas, Paints, or Mustangs like the other people in your area.

I agree with you, on your response Bill, but from a different angle. Although the end result is the same... Please take my cash money and do a good job. Can't find a worth while trainer in my area. Send a horse out for 90 days and get a skinny horse back with about 6 rides on it, (note: all ground work and is already done including saddling up a few times, tightened cenched, bit and head set). Take the money and the horse and work her the last 14 days... things like this bug me. Or you get the horse back thats so screwed up, head shy, kicks, bolts, etc. Lots of bad trainers out there, lots of trainer who call themselves trainers and know less about horse than a young kid.

I ended recruiting younger experienced kids (16 to 20) to work my horses, they do things my way, at my place, and love to ride and get paid for it. But they can only take the horse so far.

I don't think it's you Bill, I think it's "trainers" that don't know what they are doing or take on too much. Stay with what you enjoy, although you may have to send a horse out of state to get what you want. I'm a Western Pleasure guy in a area full of ropers, reiners, cutters and gamers. Tough to find a someone for pleasure.

Good Luck,
Alan

Latest posts